Ro/di question and overall direction

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now. So I’m thinking I might do corals. The tank I had made for me (which is being remade due to a blemish in manufacturing) and it’s just way too nice looking to just throw rocks in there and call it a day.

If I did ro/di and just used it for water changes, how long would it take to fill up a 5 gallon bucket? Did you do a permanent install or do you just hook it up to your sink when needed? Can you store ro/di water without having it become “tainted” over time?

literally the only thing stopping me from doing what I wanna do is ro/di.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, so first question, will depend on your ro/di if its 90 gal/day, like me, about 1 hour. I did a permanent install because for my 180 gal, it was worth it and working very often, plus I connected to my fridge water dispenser. I have a 20gal storing container I bought a home depot in which I store my ro/di for up to a few weeks without any issue; as long as the plastic in which its made dont leach chemicals and that no external pollutant can come in.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would depend on the size of the filter you get and your water pressure. 75 gallons a day is a typical size. That is about 3 gallons an hour with a pressure over 50psi.
I have hooked mine to a kitchen sink by unscrewing the aerator and using a fitting that came with the kit at my old house. They I stored it when I wasn't using it. Mine is permanently installed now.
Yes you can store the water. There is a lot of drama at times on R2R about water but keep it covered to keep dust out and it will be fine

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in a 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute with lid it is on the dolly. Same as @WVNed it hooks up to the faucet aerator, I use a diverter so I don't have to unhook it every time. I'm currently waiting for my new RO Buddie Booster Pump to arrive because my city water pressure is quite low and my production rate is very slow. I've also added a float valve just in case I forget to turn the water off in time.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From BullyBee
"literally the only thing stopping me from doing what I wanna do is ro/di."

Your stopping yourself.

I always always recommend a 7 stage RO/DI unit.
I know I get the rolling of the eyes every time I say this.
I have no idea how large your tank is now but tomorrow it could be 100-200 plus.
If you are on city water then you can have a mired of crap in your water.

The first and most important step for a reef tank is quality water, this IS the bread and butter of all reef tanks.

No its not the pretty or cool stuff to buy, but it is THE BEST TOOL for success.
A seven stage will see you through a 10G Nano to a 1000G beast.
The ability to separate your resins will save you money in the long run.

Yes you can buy a small unit for a 100-150 dollars, then have to upgrade it time and time again and spend double the cost, vs just getting the 350 dollar unit that will see you through everything now and tomorrow.

I store 300 gallons each of both RO/DI and saltwater.
I have two 300G Norwesco tanks that were completely sanitized before implementation and are sealed up.
I have never had an issue with this in the two years I have had this system in place.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to my LFS today I’ll see what they have to say. But so far everything I have read makes total sense.

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my setup

3 55g rain barrels. Drilled the bottom for a 1" bulkhead. I have a 75g sw, and 46, 75, 90 and 125g fw aquariums. I go through about 90g of water a week for water changes so I needed the extra volume. Its not the prettiest setup but it works well for me

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to my LFS today I’ll see what they have to say. But so far everything I have read makes total sense.

Good your asking questions before you go.
LFS often will only have equipment on hand they can make the most profit on.
I am all about making a profit as I am a business owner myself.
That said I do not feel all RO units are on the same level.
The resin stages are interchangeable IMO. they are just canisters with resin in them.
I feel the Dow Chemical brand RO membranes are the best of the best.
The cities water authority people agree and so does the guy who does my home soft water and drinking equipment. So I have professionals stating this not just my opinion.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back