RO/DI question, if I may.

Diogenes7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, super new to the hobby, still trying to get all the parts necessary to at least start the cycle. Got an 80g rimless frag tank, built a stand (just the frame for now). Made myself a sump with a 40g breeder. Got a used skimmer that I think will work on my tank as long as I don't upgrade to a bigger size, and finally got a Jebao return pump (even though I was a bit hesitant, because of all the bad experiences I read people have had with it).
As you can see I'm trying to be pretty cautious with the amount of money I'm going through here. That being said, do you guys think that buying a cheap unit such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141763710963

to start out with, then whenever I need to refill, I'd refill it using BRS resin/filter, would be a bad idea?

ps. they treat my water with chloramine.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add in the shipping charges and some of the connections to hook up to your source water, you are getting closer and closer to paying what you would from an established, customer service oriented, vendor like BRS. And while the RODI units look pretty much the same from the outside, there is the quality of the filter materials inside to consider. Lastly, one thing to consider would be an dual inline TDS meter that checks the water going in and out so you will know when to change filters - it will save you money in the long run.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI...ROD-5-Stage-90-GPD-RODI-System-with-Double-DI
this is the closest to the price and actual item.
not a 6 stage, single DI, and only 90gpd.

I do have a TDS meter at home, the only thing I lack is a pressure gauge. Do you still think I'm better off with the Spectrapure?
Ahh. Good catch. I missed the pressure gauge. Low pressure, less than 50 psi increases waste water output and decreases the amount of RODI water you create. So it wastes filter material. BRS did a video on this subject. Lots of good info there.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your TDS coming out of the tap. Test that to see what is recommended

I started with this one you listed when I was in NYC, when I moved north, out of the city water, which is great, I had to add on a DI stage.
(Use Maxicap & silicabuster)

I did upgrade to their washable sediment filter, and solely use their cartridges. I rarely need to change them.

Worth every penny, honestly the best purchase/ upgrade I've done.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, look at you local water supply and see if there are chloramine added.
My question, why the double DI? If anything double up on the active carbon and one on DI.

OP
OP
D

Diogenes7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, they do use Chloramine. My plan was to use up the DI that would come with this purchase, and once done, replace one DI with a Chloramine specific one.

OP
OP
D

Diogenes7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if that is a bad plan. Also, pressure gauge will be a future add on.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Diogenes7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I will be postponing the purchase. Didn't think the housing would matter this much, as long as the resin/filter were of decent quality.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got zero complaints with my AquaticLife Twist in 4 stage unit. And it's like $125ish new. TDS is always 1 or below.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's Westchester NY water supply. NYC was needing only a 3 stage and perfect.

I added as I needed, using something similar to this now:
mainly due to silicates and heavy sediment and phosphate rich.

http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI...anual-Flush-w-Color-Indicating-Mega-MaxCap-DI
down here I started with with 4 stage and with the chloramines and high tds, silica I went to sediment filter, two active carbon, and RO filter. Then started packing my own DI with silcabuster resin the DI

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I will be postponing the purchase. Didn't think the housing would matter this much, as long as the resin/filter were of decent quality.
When you stop and think about it, what we really do is manage water conditions first and always, it never ends. Everything else comes after: fish, corals, etc., will come and go, emphasis on livestock will change, but water will always be our first interest.

OP
OP
D

Diogenes7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you stop and think about it, what we really do is manage water conditions first and always, it never ends. Everything else comes after: fish, corals, etc., will come and go, emphasis on livestock will change, but water will always be our first interest.
Ya makes sense

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back