RO/DI Salt Water Mixing Station

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am looking to make a small salt water mixing station and I need help deciding on the pump.

I have a 55 gallon blue food safe barrel that will be my main RO/DI storage tank. This barrel will feed a small 25 gallon brute trash can which will be my salt water storage and mixing center. I want an external pump that sits in between the two that constantly cycles the water to ensure well mixed salt water. I would also like the pump to pump the water into my house to my tanks ~20 foot hose that doesn't gain any elevation other than to the tank.

I was looking at the pan world 30px but I am wondering if that's even over kill or underkill?

Thoughts?

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixing station, I don't think you can overkill it. That being said, there isn't a major benefit to putting a large pump on it unless you have some elevation to go up. That pump looks fine to me for long term operation. If you want to go cheaper and lower quality, I have always been satisfied by jebao pumps. As for mixing the saltwater, I would personally use two pumps. One external pump like normal but also put a powerhead inside the saltwater tank for constant mixing. This will use less power than the larger motor and you really don't need crazy flow to keep a reservoir mixed well. This way you use both pumps to mix new water, then just run the small powerhead to keep it mixed.

After looking at the reviews for that panworld pump, I would be skeptical to buy it.

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If constructed like I did you can do all you want to with a single pump.

The pump I chose is a duplicate of the pump used in my DT. For the mixing station it is way overkill at 3160gph and 20ft head. If I have a pump failure in my main tank the water station will sacrifice its pump to maintain the DT while a new pump is ordered.

243314FB-06AD-435F-A322-6D05EEB0697E.jpeg

4773DF8C-6372-43BD-9A63-1401BC23C92B.jpeg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixing station, I don't think you can overkill it. That being said, there isn't a major benefit to putting a large pump on it unless you have some elevation to go up. That pump looks fine to me for long term operation. If you want to go cheaper and lower quality, I have always been satisfied by jebao pumps. As for mixing the saltwater, I would personally use two pumps. One external pump like normal but also put a powerhead inside the saltwater tank for constant mixing. This will use less power than the larger motor and you really don't need crazy flow to keep a reservoir mixed well. This way you use both pumps to mix new water, then just run the small powerhead to keep it mixed.

After looking at the reviews for that panworld pump, I would be skeptical to buy it.

I wanna use the same pump to pump and mix salt. Similar setup to the picture posted.

I see loads of bad reviews for the pan world but it seems like everyone uses them

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to spend and what kind of flow rate are you wanting?
I wanna move water from my 55 gallon barrel to my 25 gallon brute mix it and than pump the water horizontally to my tank which is 15' at most. I wanna spend about the cost of the pan world 40px about 130.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6F2546A-9647-44EC-9CB2-452E60E5EC8D.jpeg

I have the Pan World 50x for two 32 gallon brutes, and a tank that is right around the corner. Probably overkill, but I have had zero issues, in the month that I have been using it.
Beautiful setup. I see everyone uses the pan world but I am not sure why not one uses jebao dcp pumps. They're quiet and pack a punch. and much cheaper

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. I see everyone uses the pan world but I am not sure why not one uses jebao dcp pumps. They're quiet and pack a punch. and much cheaper
Thank you! Honestly, I ended up with the Pan World because a lot of the setups I saw when I was putting mine together used them. I doubt you can go wrong with the Jebao.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Honestly, I ended up with the Pan World because a lot of the setups I saw when I was putting mine together used them. I doubt you can go wrong with the Jebao.
that was my take on the pan world... however, the jebao dcp are workhorses and are much cheaper.. if they break I can buy another and it still be cheaper than a pan world. hahah

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Jebao pump will work just fine for your mixing station.

I went with the pump that I did so I would have a spare for my DT if anything ever gave out on it. Easy to swap and replace the mixing station pump when a new one comes in the mail.

Total cost for my 2-44 gallon setup with pump and plumbing was around $400 maybe a tad less.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) 32 Gallon Brutes - $65 total
Pan World 50x - $150
PVC - $50 (about, including braided tubing)
25Ft. Python No Mess Water Change - $25

So, right about $300 for a 10 minute water change, with no buckets
The difference in the cost of our setups is the pump we used. My pump was $280.

With the Jebao pump it would be close to the $200 mark.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) 32 Gallon Brutes - $65 total
Pan World 50x - $150
PVC - $50 (about, including braided tubing)
25Ft. Python No Mess Water Change - $25

So, right about $300 for a 10 minute water change, with no buckets

I have the mixing bucket already and a 55 gallon storage.

Pump is gonna be 65
PVC fittings 50 as you said. so hoping to keep it about 100

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back