RO/DI undersink install questions

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a BRS 5stage 75GPD+ with their awesome door buster sale price! So now I'm trying to figure out what extra bits I'll need for install. Im going to pick up a drinking water faucet to replace the soap dispenser we have in the sink. I'd like to split the line before the DI resin and send that to a small pressure tank then the faucet. First question, can I simply use a murlok divider to do so? Second question, will this screw with my DI stage at all? I'm not sure what to do about the DI output, should I simply put a ball value on the output and keep it closed until I'm filling my mixing bucket?

Thanks everyone

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a BRS 5stage 75GPD+ with their awesome door buster sale price! So now I'm trying to figure out what extra bits I'll need for install. Im going to pick up a drinking water faucet to replace the soap dispenser we have in the sink. I'd like to split the line before the DI resin and send that to a small pressure tank then the faucet. First question, can I simply use a murlok divider to do so? Second question, will this screw with my DI stage at all? I'm not sure what to do about the DI output, should I simply put a ball value on the output and keep it closed until I'm filling my mixing bucket?

Thanks everyone
Yes, that will all work fine- Ideally you should not use a pressure tank with DI, but I and many others do it with no problems, although I would generally recommend a dual di to increase dwell time. You will want to put a sweetening filter (I think they are called that; generally made of coconut I believe) on the drinking faucet line- pure ro water doesn't taste that good

OP
OP
kyleinpdx

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so after a bit more reading I think I'm going to do the following:

BRS RO stage > murlok divider - 1st channel going to a check valve then the pressure tank/faucet, 2nd channel - DI stage > ball value.

In the beginning I wont be using float switches with my water buckets, but when I do I'm curious if I'll need a second auto shut off valve? Will the one valve work for both the pressure tank and the eventual float switch?

OP
OP
kyleinpdx

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that will all work fine- Ideally you should not use a pressure tank with DI, but I and many others do it with no problems, although I would generally recommend a dual di to increase dwell time. You will want to put a sweetening filter (I think they are called that; generally made of coconut I believe) on the drinking faucet line- pure ro water doesn't taste that good

Yeah thats what Ive heard, so that was the reasoning behind splitting the drinking water off before the DI stage. Hoping to use RO water for drinking and RO/DI only for the reef.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go ahead and build a mixing station. Here is mine

20171113_125710.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to take you drinking water from before the RO membrane. The first 2stages should remove the nasty things you don't want in drinking water, like Florida, chlorine, chlorimine, benzine & drug. Striping the water of 98% all minerals is bad for you to drink. You need the minerals that the RO strips out. As water is a universal solvent, it will remove minerals from your body, instead of adding them.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to set up my drinking water system befor my RO/DI shortly. I have 2 used pressurized containers that have not been used for a few years. What is the best way to sanatize them without hurting the membrane.

OP
OP
kyleinpdx

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this old video from BRS and it answered every one of the questions I had. Anyone wanting to install an undersink RODI for drinking water and tank water should take a look.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back