RO/DI Upgrade

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using an RO Buddie for over a year and recently acquired a Kent Maxxima 24 GPD with a spare canister, several carbon and sediment filters and got to meet an older reefer which was fun. Sadily I think I will have to replace the DI and RO membrane as the unit has been sitting likely for about a year. Found replacements filters on Purewater4u for about $75 but when I purchased it the seller thought it was the 50GPD and I chose to not bother returning it as he is out of state. I know within the next 2 years I will want a larger tank but questioning whether I should sell off the Maxxima and get a higher output BRS unit adding about $100-150 in extra cost or keeping the Maxxima and replacing the cartridges... Any advice? Is the Maxxima a solid RO/DI upgrade from a RO Buddie 50 GPD?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would just buy an upgraded brs unit you will not regret it when you upgrade. Replacement filters are cheap.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using an RO Buddie for over a year and recently acquired a Kent Maxxima 24 GPD with a spare canister, several carbon and sediment filters and got to meet an older reefer which was fun. Sadily I think I will have to replace the DI and RO membrane as the unit has been sitting likely for about a year. Found replacements filters on Purewater4u for about $75 but when I purchased it the seller thought it was the 50GPD and I chose to not bother returning it as he is out of state. I know within the next 2 years I will want a larger tank but questioning whether I should sell off the Maxxima and get a higher output BRS unit adding about $100-150 in extra cost or keeping the Maxxima and replacing the cartridges... Any advice? Is the Maxxima a solid RO/DI upgrade from a RO Buddie 50 GPD?
Had a couple of a Amazon rodi systems, slow and nonzero tds on output, bit the bullet on a brs 4 stage value plus which gets you tds on output and tap water, and flush valve. They want to keep getting your business thus do a good job, not out for the 1 quick sale.
What took all day is done in 4 hours.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the membrane remained wet, chances are it's still good. I'm not familiar with the units you have, I may agree that a complete set up might be in order.

Again not being familiar with what you have, the deciding factor for me is filter/cartridge replacement. The common size for RODI units are 10". which means that you're not locked into purchasing specific filters. I personally have a used brs unit with all spectrapure internals (I find that they being in the business of water filtration, their variations of DI combinations are 2nd to none and they push the envelope on membranes as well). Not to sell you on a brand, but to drive home the point that because my unit is a common size I was able to find what works for me and not break the bank getting a new unit.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question. I found out from customer support from Kent that the cartridges are a standard 10" which means I can use BRS refillable DI resins but as far as the RO membrane are those typically unique to each RO system? Not understanding what makes a system 24 GPD and what makes a system 36 GPD. Can I exchange the flow restrictor on the waste line and simply upgrade it to a 75 GPD membrane?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question. I found out from customer support from Kent that the cartridges are a standard 10" which means I can use BRS refillable DI resins but as far as the RO membrane are those typically unique to each RO system? Not understanding what makes a system 24 GPD and what makes a system 36 GPD. Can I exchange the flow restrictor on the waste line and simply upgrade it to a 75 GPD membrane?
There are different size membranes and membrane housings, but the ones that are sold for under sink RO units and those sold in our hobby for the most part can be interchangeable, with a caveat.

The difference between a 24 GPD and a 75GPD is the membrane and flow restrictor relationship. Rejection rate relies a lot on input pressure but also on the amount of flow through the rejection line. The traditional looks a lot like this:

Although, the ones spectrapure sell looks like a short piece of rigid rodi tube. But there is a restrictor orifice inside the tube to slow the flow way down.

As I said for the most part the membrane housing is the same across the board, you can add a 75GPD membrane in a housing that was sold to be 24GPD. But, you have to purchase the corresponding restrictor as well.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different size membranes and membrane housings, but the ones that are sold for under sink RO units and those sold in our hobby for the most part can be interchangeable, with a caveat.

The difference between a 24 GPD and a 75GPD is the membrane and flow restrictor relationship. Rejection rate relies a lot on input pressure but also on the amount of flow through the rejection line. The traditional looks a lot like this:

Although, the ones spectrapure sell looks like a short piece of rigid rodi tube. But there is a restrictor orifice inside the tube to slow the flow way down.

As I said for the most part the membrane housing is the same across the board, you can add a 75GPD membrane in a housing that was sold to be 24GPD. But, you have to purchase the corresponding restrictor as well.

Thank you very much for the explanation. This was very helpful

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that when I was ready to replace filter, membrane etc., I was just as confused. I sent spectrapure an email and they were able to set me up with the necessary equipment unique to my situation. I doubt you would get that level of expertise from brs.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would someone get a replacement 24 GPD membrane vs a 40 GPD and restrictor if they are the same replacement cost or within $5 of each other? I feel like I am missing information or something haha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back