Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice a difference?

been using BRS 1 micron sediment
1 micron BRS carbon blocks
BRS DI resin

getting to 0 tds But DI gets exhausted quickly 100-150 gallons, at most 200

Still get some Diatom blooms from time to time which makes me suspect silicates getting through.

I think I like the Matrikx carbon blocks better than BRS brand so i will
Most Likely switch back to those if I continue to buy RO media from BRS.

I just have a hard time trusting anything from BRS lately, feel Like they push products sometimes as the greatest thing ever for profit. Also feel like the quality of the DI resin has changed, anyone else?

I’ve used SpectraPure filters in the past
And they always perform well, I know they only focus on water purification. They cost more but RODI water is so important I think the cost is justified.

Will also be swapping out Membranes, for this I will be switching to SpectraPure.

What do you all like for highest quality RODI water?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a spectrapure fan. Been using their stuff for 20 ish years.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a spectrapure 200gpd max cap system with the booster pump. At my old house I had to change out filters every 3 months until I added a brs dual di after it and it really helped.

At my current home, the water is actually really clean here, my prefilter actually doesnt start looking dirty for 3 months. And I dont start showing tds until about 7-8 months. And I don't use the extra di canisters like before. I do run the silica buster and the mac cap color changing DI and the chloramine block(I'm always worried they're gonna change the use of this and I wouldnt know until it's too late). it costs 90$ as a full replacement kit I do as a whole every 7-8 months plus 1 extra prefilter somewhere in the middle(3-4months).. Never had any issues.

OP
OP
Mellotang

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s weird

My water going in on this Unit is pretty clean also

Sediment stays clean for a while

Can’t figure why DI resin exhausting so quickly

Think im ready to switch back to SpectraPure and stop the second guessing

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cromag27 - can you help with the OP question about SpectraPure vs BRS RODI systems?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dow chemical RO is the one to use. If you’re getting silicates get a silicate specific filter. Time to double or triple up on DI

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS DI resin

Still get some Diatom blooms from time to time which makes me suspect silicates getting through.

I just have a hard time trusting anything from BRS lately, feel Like they push products sometimes as the greatest thing ever for profit. Also feel like the quality of the DI resin has changed, anyone else?

And they always perform well, I know they only focus on water purification. They cost more but RODI water is so important I think the cost is justified.

Will also be swapping out Membranes, for this I will be switching to SpectraPure.

nobody can tough spectrapure membranes.

https://octoaquatics.com/rodi-101/

Membrane – There’s a lot of confusion and misinformation out there about membranes and their performance, or perceived performance. The membrane is the heart and soul of the RODI unit. Membranes are rated in GPD (gallons per day of product water) and rejection rate (in percentages). The % rejection rating for a membrane is an indication of how much of these impurities will pass through the membrane and on to the DI cartridge(s). The higher the rejection rate, the more efficient your membrane is and that results in a longer lifespan of your downstream DI cartridge(s). By starting with a membrane with a 99% rejection rate, you are ensuring cost savings down the road. You will typically replace more DI then membranes. A 2% increase in your rejection rate will double the life of your DI.

What to look for: 99-98% rejection rate and a company that tests their membranes for performance and can stand by their rejection rate. Bonus points if you can find membranes that are specially treated for enhanced performance. Membranes that are marketed with rejection rates below 98% will cost you more money in the long run.

When to replace: Typically once the rejection rate drops below 95%, but this may vary depending on your membrane and how well you want to protect your DI. Checking your rejection rate is pretty easy. Write down your incoming TDS (X) and post membrane TDS (Y). Then follow this simple equation:

X – Y = Z

Z / X = Rejection rate.

* Waste ratio – This is the ratio of waste water to product water. Most units we use are designed to operate within 3:1 to 4:1. Special, high efficiency units can operate at a 1:1 ratio. The ratio is controlled by a capillary flow restrictor that installs inside the waste hose, which you can cut down to size to adjust the waste ratio. Waste ratio is effected by water temperate and membrane GPD, so it’s good to check your ratio if you switch membrane GPD or when your tap water temperature changes.

* Dual membranes – Need more product water, faster? Buy an RODI unit with dual membranes and that can double your output. Or, add a piggy-back kit to your existing single membrane RODI unit. You’ll be able to produce water faster and may reduce the waste ratio, but it’s going to come at a price. Possibly a heavy one at that. The adverse effects are that the effective rejection rate will go down and you’ll burn through DI faster. Remember, just a 2% drop in rejection rate will cut the life of your DI in half.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a spectrapure 200gpd max cap system with the booster pump. At my old house I had to change out filters every 3 months until I added a brs dual di after it and it really helped.

At my current home, the water is actually really clean here, my prefilter actually doesnt start looking dirty for 3 months. And I dont start showing tds until about 7-8 months. And I don't use the extra di canisters like before. I do run the silica buster and the mac cap color changing DI and the chloramine block(I'm always worried they're gonna change the use of this and I wouldnt know until it's too late). it costs 90$ as a full replacement kit I do as a whole every 7-8 months plus 1 extra prefilter somewhere in the middle(3-4months).. Never had any issues.

next time around bump up to their mega maxcap and enduro di. their longevity is insane.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next time around bump up to their mega maxcap and enduro di. their longevity is insane.
Does it use the same canisters? And what about the ro membranes?

Edit: looked it up it looks like just the di cartridge?

Would I still use the silica buster in the 3rd stage? And this in the 4th?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are the same size canisters

To me it’s more a matter of dial in to your needs than a brand choice.
Sometimes a 5 micron is better, sometimes 0.5 is better. Depends on the size of your contaminates. Sometimes, like on well water, a carbon block does nothing, depending on what’s in your water. Sometimes, like when on city water, one carbon block to combat Chlorines is not enough

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS DI resin

why do you think the di is being exhausted so quickly? Is the output from membrane degrading quickly? If yes, could you be putting something through the membrane to quickly degrade it? Chloromines would do such, do you know how your feed water is purified?

@Buckeye Hydro is full of information.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckeye can def shed some light.

can say you should/can check your membrane rejection rate. Tds going in, tds coming out. If it’s less than 95% it’s time to change.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it use the same canisters? And what about the ro membranes?

yes same canisters. i wouldn’t use anything other than their membranes. they are proprietarily treated to last longer than standard dow membranes.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases, using two membranes in series in a typical residential-scale RODI is not advisable.
Russ

Last edited:

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact to know and tell: You'll never hear a water treatment professional calling a filter housing a "canister."

Back