RO plumbing questions

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved to a house with well water and low PSI, 45. It is chewing through my DI resin in less than 30 gallons. Going to be testing water today but I wanted to plumb up a manifold with valves and use a booster pump and a few barrels. My idea was to filter RO water under booster pressure into a barrel with no DI, aerate it to remove CO2 overnight, then use booster pump to re filter it through the DI into barrel number 2 or 5 gal buckets. Will the aquatech 6800 draw from a static water source?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but going through the DI resin in 30 gallons just seems wrong to me. I set up my RODI yesterday evening and so far I have made about 45 gallons of clean water and am just now starting to see the first sign of resin breakdown...

IMG_0349.JPG

Can you provide details on your system? Hard to diagnose an issue without knowing what the variables are.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but going through the DI resin in 30 gallons just seems wrong to me. I set up my RODI yesterday evening and so far I have made about 45 gallons of clean water and am just now starting to see the first sign of resin breakdown...
OP has a CO2 problem in his water. He is aware of the problem.

Will the aquatech 6800 draw from a static water source?
I am not sure booster pumps can draw on a static source, but I haven't tried.

I have seen many threads here on R2R about CO2 contaminated well water. Search and see some of the solutions. I quick general internet search gives some ideas also. A chamber with CaCO2 sand might yield results. Another avenue is to call BRS and ask them what they might suggest. Of course they are going to sell you something but it might give you some ideas.

FWIW :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your question about a booster pump being able to draw from a static water source I started googling it because I was curious what the answer is. So I cant speak from experience but what I've found is that on booster pumps (and this wasn't specific to the model you mention) there has to be a minimum of 5 psi inlet pressure for the pump to work properly.
Maybe you could get in touch with the pump manufacturer and they could tell you a definite answer?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to use a booster pump....pressure too high, flow rate too great. You want a low GPH pump to slowly push the water through DI. Let's see if #reefsquad has a suggestion.

My first thought is a Tom's Aqualifter, but not sure if it has the pressure to push it through the resin..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the input. Currently running RO Buddy set up, I dont want to drop alot of money on a larger system untill I get this sorted out. The RO buddy worked great at my old apartment on city water, 150TDM input.

That being said I have a spare RO buddy, could plumb pump, if the high pressure would work through the secondary RO before finally getting to DI polishing?

Basically

Well feed to Sediment booster/Carbon/RO to barrel
Aerate 12 hrs
Booster or approriate pump from barrel to sediment/carbon/ro then DI to collection for use.

Work?

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just found this on a vendor page for the booster pump, seems it may be self priming. If this is the case, any harm to re run it through another RO to have proper flow going through the final DI filter?

I bought plastic peg board and valvles, varios fittings to hopefully permenant mount a manifold sytem with a flush line.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to keep replying to myself but just found tech doc, do you interpret this as I do that it will pump with zero pressure?

* EDIT, just read page above and it does say it has primi g capabilities between 3.5 and 4 feet.

Screenshot_20210131-125128_Drive.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would airate the water overnight.
I have c02 issues as well and since airating i am no longer going through both spectrapure maxcap di carts in 50gallons.
Still 0ppm on 1st stage after 250g

And i use an MJ1200 powerhead with a home made push connect adapter that goes from 1/2" to 1/4".
The mj1200 yields 5 gallons in 1 hour through 2 canisters.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, side not and question. Just tested input water, 250ppm.

One 30 gallon container testing 3-4ppm and the other 30 testing 2ppm. Im setting up a new 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump to transfer my mixed reef 38 gallon into in a few week. Do you think this water is ok to use to start mixing and then make sure the remaining 45 gallons is 0 or should I re filter with new setup coming this week before adding. My 38 gallon has been getting tap water filtered to 1PPM. For the last couple of months.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if youve been doing it, whats another 60 gallons lol.

But,

I would advise to throw some powerheads in there until your system arrives and then pump it through your DI canisters then use it :)

Also FWIW,

After my 1st DI stage started to read 2, i started airating.
Im still using the same cart and its currently back to 0 :)

You could try airating and pumping back through your current system if the resins arent that far gone.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on all my stuff to come to plumb properly but I did get my replacement resin so I rigged up a powerhead to some ro line with electrical tape and have two resin filters running in series. After lettinh water stir overnight, I am getting 0 TDS after the DI now and no color change as of yet. Thanks for the great tips. CO2 was the likely culprit. Will post pics of my manifold set up if it turns out ok lol. Thanks again
20210202_133846.jpg

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manifold finally started. I rigged it to let me bypass RO to waste on startup and then select which trashcan to process to. Also have the emergency availability to run through DI direct or bypass and use the MP1200 setup to pump after degassing. Hope to finish tomorrow, pleased so far

20210206_194201.jpg 20210206_194212.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that 1/2" to 1/4" fitting. Wherd you find it? Does it have a metal or plastic retainer inside?
That would make it easy vs building a fitting like i had to. Couldnt even find one online.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from Amazon but now its showing not available. Haven't looked at the retainer unfortunately and I'm away from the house. I got a pack of five. If you'd like to PM me your address I can mail you one.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, i did see that one but hesitated due to the metal collar that i see.
And wow you are too kind!
That is very thoughtful but ill kindly pass it onto someone else if they need.
Again, you are a stellar ambassador for our community! :)

Back