RO plumbing - what did I do wrong?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just wasted half a day on trying to fix my RO system and will waste the rest of today being annoyed about the entire situation. I need to understand what went wrong for the sake of my sanity.

For reasons that are not important to the story, I replaced all three of my prefilter canisters with new 10" canisters from BRS. I ordered all the parts and assembled the system. For the input side of the system, I used a 1/4" thread to 1/4" push connect fitting that I had in my plumbing box. I purchased the same size fitting for the output side from a local hardware store. For all the threaded joints, I used 5 wraps of teflon tape and hand tightened plus about 2 more additional rotations.

Upon leak testing, the system is leaking from several places, worst from the prefilter output side (the brand new 1/4" thread to 1/4" push connect fitting). I tried tightening the output fitting a few more times to see if that would stop it. It slowed down, but was still leaking. I disassembled, cleaned the threads, and started over with more tape, about 7 wraps. Still leaking. I tried tightening it about as tight as I could. Still leaking. I disassembled, cleaned again, and used an outrageous 10 full wraps of teflon tape. Still leaking on hand tightening + 2, still leaking tightening about as tight as I could with a wrench. I had some teflon paste and decided to try that. It worked for a glorious second and a half, until a leak formed that was faster than it had ever leaked with the tape. The fitting is not cracked, nor is the housing, and the threads look fine.

Wondering if it was the fitting, I tried an ancient 1/4" elbow I have in my plumbing box with a disgusting amount of teflon paste. The fitting basically bottomed out before giving any meaningful resistance, but it's not leaking. This is a hollow victory though; while the fitting is not leaking from the threads, it's leaking from the quick connect part.

First question, why was this rebuild such a disaster? What did I do wrong? I know that tape is technically no good for plastic joints, but right or wrong, everyone in the industry uses tape on RO system joints and we seem to get along fine as a whole. Additionally, the joint still failed even after using gratuitous amounts of Teflon paste, the "proper" joint sealant.

Second question, I'm so fed up with this system that I want to hard weld all the joints together. Can I use standard PVC cement for this purpose? I know this means I'll need to throw out the entire prefilter assembly if anything breaks in the future, and I don't care. At this point I would rather discard the entire RO system annually if it means I never have to waste an entire day doing this again.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape and dope are for metal threads.
Pvc threads dont require any sealant/lube or they might leak.

Try again without the tape but you may have deformed threads now from over torquing the fitting and may need to be replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the quick connect end leak can be fixed. just remove the push clip and dig the Oring out with a micro flathead screwdriver.
Coat the oring with molykote or 100% silicone grease and reinstall.
If the oring wont come out, try using the screwdriver to spread the silicone grease down into the fitting where the oring is.

And be sure the end of the tubing is cut square with tubing cutters.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the threaded fittings are not tapered by the manufacturer. I think you should try buying fittings from a different company.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago I wanted to change the input size from the 1/4 inch brs provided, to a 3/8ths nptxquick connect. I purchased the 3/8 from a different company that focused on RO units for home installations.
The 3/8ths fittings went on with zero tape and went on super tight. I could not continue to tighten or I would risk breaking or cracking at the threads. This is because the base of the fitting is wider and thus tapered from the base up to the start. (That’s how pvc npt should be)
Hope this helps dude don’t give up

Last edited:
OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape and dope are for metal threads.
Pvc threads dont require any sealant/lube or they might leak.

Try again without the tape but you may have deformed threads now from over torquing the fitting and may need to be replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

Tape and thread sealant causes leaks on plastic threaded joints? Why has every piece of RO equipment I've ever ordered, from no-name junk off Ebay all the way up to BRS, use tape on the threads? If tape and paste cause leaks, why don't they all leak?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape and thread sealant causes leaks on plastic threaded joints? Why has every piece of RO equipment I've ever ordered, from no-name junk off Ebay all the way up to BRS, use tape on the threads? If tape and paste cause leaks, why don't they all leak?
I use tape on pvc even when there aren’t threads to make seal. Most of my overflow is that way for easy disassembly. My point early was that it shouldn’t be needed if the parts are tapered correctly.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does....especially since youre using ALOT.
The issue ends up being over torquing causing the leak.
Not "JUST" because you used tape.

And because you dont have plumbing professionals with years of experience working at ebay or BRS.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for advice on a forum.
If you wanna try without tape or dope, that would be the proper and recommended way.

Or else yes....you can pvc glue them into place permanently.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how old is the dope youre using?
That may be the issue too...

Ive successfully sealed worn pvc connections with this brand where rector seal and loctite wouldnt...

20210703_120759.jpg

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how old is the dope youre using?
That may be the issue too...

Ive successfully sealed worn pvc connections with this brand where rector seal and loctite wouldnt...

20210703_120759.jpg

So let me make sure I get this straight: first, despite the fact that everyone uses tape or thread sealant on plastic plumbing parts generally without issue, don't ever use tape or thread sealant on plastic plumbing parts.

Second, you can ignore rule #1 entirely so long as your thread sealant is new?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me summerize.

Dont use ptfe tape or dope/lubricant on pvc threads.

You may use a special sealant that states for use with pvc/plastic but this sealant should not have lubricating properties. (Some still just dont work well)

Since you said you already used tape and tightened as much as you could, you may have deformed the threads which could be the cause of your increased leak rate.

If I were in your shoes, i would try a different sealant first (should state for use with pvc/plastic)

If you had two, new mating surfaces and didnt use tape already, it would likely seal just fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back