Rob's Kitchen Kingdom

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slowly working on this... so far I have sand, dry rock, and a 10 gallon tank. Been sitting on this for 2 years. Nothing too special with equipment. I'm planning to go for a minimalist approach with equipment in mind. No controller. No dosers... no skimmer. I'm pretty much planning to try running nothing but a HOB fuge, little flow - thinking a Koralia 240 (24x turn over) and either a HOB DIY fuge out of a AC70 or maybe a Finnex or Azoo breeder box as a fuge with a 50 watt Eheim Jagger for heat. Lighting will be Kessil 150 - not sure but thinking about the 15k model. They tend to look more blue than the spectrum advertised. The only automation I plan to use is an ATO. If I burn the groceries no worries as long as I'm not burning the corals. :bigsmile: I had a 5 gallon planted tank here, but decided to retire it and moved the fish / shrimp to the 26 gallon where I felt they would be happier. Planning to mostly rely on WCs to maintain Alk/Ca/Mg, but we'll see how that works out.

Fauna - I'm waiting at least a year before this tank sees even a softie.

Highly considering some sticks, but not sure. Might go with a few shrooms and some zoas/palys. Plenty of time to think on that.

Fish - still thinking, but considering nothing more than a mated pair of firefish and few snails for CUC.

Not sure when I'll get it wet. No rush. Anyway here's a pic of what I have so far. Updates will come, but slowly.

I have considered using a 5.5 sump, but it would be sitting right next to the tank and not sure gravity would work so well. Even considered going with a 20L as an AIO with a display fuge in front and hiding the return and such, but decided to keep it a little more simple

nano-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was wondering. Gotta love the Nanos though. I hoped I would never have to dose my 27 gallon, but I recently found out I will be needing to.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you waiting so long for coral?

Mostly not sure which way I want to go with coral, plus I want to see how the tank is going to fair without a skimmer, and would like to give the rock time to color up nicely. As well as collect a good amount of data on parms before really deciding on which why I want to go with coral. Also I'm highly considering building a new tank to replace the main tank. Considering a custom Reef Savvy cube or maybe one of the Deep Blue shallow 80 gallon tanks which has a nicer foot print than my 75.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was wondering. Gotta love the Nanos though. I hoped I would never have to dose my 27 gallon, but I recently found out I will be needing to.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I may end up dosing Alk, but we'll see. I'm hoping to rely on biweekly or weekly water changes.

Back