Rock Anemone babies!

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot that. They're 93 days old.
Have you had them spawn before? I just found 5 in my tank. About the size of pencil erasers. They must have been a fall spawn.
b112a5948de22d6b87c3779e8acbe745.jpg
a324fa0d1a18f51626e89e44d46943fb.jpg
40a44787826b57f6fc5b6469a2d0b740.jpg

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope this was my first batch, I've raised many anemones but not Phymanthus crucifer. My guess is that they're probably a bit older than mine.

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awesome! I have been following your post and anytime I did maintenance I would look for little ones. Once I spotted one I kept finding more. I'd like to set up a tank just for them to breed.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you I appreciate that. It's been a curiosity of mine for a while now I really like this species. I'm the same, I keep toying with the idea of just making this system only for raising them and having 15 or so adults in it. How many adults do you have in your system?

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little carried away! I have 10 adults and now the 5 little ones.
I was under the impression they only spawn around the fall and spring equinox. Looking up the fall equinox I wouldn't have had any at that time(September 22). There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on their spawning habits or even on the growth rates. These are some of my adults, I isolated them to a solo rock.
20170302_203849.jpg

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Those look great. I need to get a few with the other color patterns, the way I get them I don't get to choose individuals though so I'll just hope.

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updates! I had some babies this past equinox as well. I saw the mother that was popping them out, im hoping shes not the only female in the tank as I've got 10 adults. a 9-1 ratio would make me feel bad for her hahaha! Right not I'm sitting on about 5-6 babies that I can see but they seem to be quite mobile. One popped up overnight about 5 inches from its previous location, but in actuality it may not be the same one.

bruleyii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Based on what the others are saying your 15 or so is a good rate. Idk if they are feeding theirs though.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little carried away! I have 10 adults and now the 5 little ones.
I was under the impression they only spawn around the fall and spring equinox. Looking up the fall equinox I wouldn't have had any at that time(September 22). There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on their spawning habits or even on the growth rates.

I had a customer at the store a few weeks back that has a bunch in his tank. He is certainly an anemone fan. He said although everything that he reads online says that they only spawn on the equinoxes that he has observed his spawning almost monthly.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updates! I had some babies this past equinox as well. I saw the mother that was popping them out, im hoping shes not the only female in the tank as I've got 10 adults. a 9-1 ratio would make me feel bad for her hahaha! Right not I'm sitting on about 5-6 babies that I can see but they seem to be quite mobile. One popped up overnight about 5 inches from its previous location, but in actuality it may not be the same one.

They are definitely able to move quite far, all of mine have relocated several feet from where I first placed them after they were expelled.

Thanks for the update. Based on what the others are saying your 15 or so is a good rate. Idk if they are feeding theirs though.

Oh I'm not unhappy at all with how many I still have, just wanting to keep as many going as possible. The gyre pump and filter with no grate or cover on it are likely the culprits for the deaths of the others. I do feed heavily, target feeding 3x weekly with broadcast feeds nightly. I'm sure it's a factor.

I had a customer at the store a few weeks back that has a bunch in his tank. He is certainly an anemone fan. He said although everything that he reads online says that they only spawn on the equinoxes that he has observed his spawning almost monthly.

Although I can agree that many do seem to follow one cycle or another, I've seen a lot of spawning events in other species of corals and anemones that don't fit any of the previous factors in their spawning cycles. I just assume that they are incredibly healthy with a lot of food. Perhaps a couple other factors that can come in to play, changes in temperature, placement, lighting etc. Could all trigger a spawning from one species or another.

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you guys feeding the parents? up until the birth i was feeding 5 times a week, now im at about 2x a week due to rise in nitrates but im about to dial that back in and go daily again. They seemed to love it, Im hoping it will get them to breed more often. That, warm water and some smooth jazz!

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine once every 2 weeks. Small piece of Table shrimp. I read something that said they use an enormous amount of energy digesting solid food.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They rely more on supplemental feedings, they're always eager to grab food. I target feed mine 3 times per week with either mysis, Pacific krill (smaller variety), or 800-1000 micron golden pearls. They also catch a lot out of the water column during my nightly broadcast feeds that make it so I can't see the back of the tank it's so murky.

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed a large variation in growth rates. I have some that are bigger than a pencil eraser but I found 3 green ones today that are maybe half that size. Wondering if I had more than one spawn happen in my tank

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure have. With this being the first batch I don't have much to go off of, I'll have more data with the next batch. But with this one I have some that are 6-8mm across in the pictures, but also still have a couple that look like they've barely grown even though they're getting the same foods and are two inches away. Doesn't make much sense but oh well.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found what seems to be the "perfect" food for the young nems at this size tonight while target feeding everything. I usually have a slurry but tonight was just 100-200 micron golden pearls and the response was crazy. Almost frantic. So it must be the perfect size for the 4-8mm nems. Just wanted to add that for others that are currently raising E. crucifer of their own. Yes they'll eat pretty much anything, but it's nice knowing they love something that's very good for them.

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that mine are getting bigger, the numbers have gone up. I found about 10 total today. pretty even 50/50 split of reds and green/yellows

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kdino1 what size are yours now? Pictures are welcome. Now that I'm back to nightly target feedings for every nem they're growing steadily again. I'll try to get more pics later.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home with the lights still on, and counted 21. So perhaps there were some closed and retracted (they're on a ceramic bio media brick, so I'm thinking they can potentially retract all the way inside it still) when I looked last with lights off. That's a bit more than the 15 of my last count.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back