Rock question

Bama-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am just wanting to cure this rock as far as leaching phos n stuff is a heater and salt really necessary. It's ro water in it and I'm not worried about getting bacteria on it right now because I will be pulling in it out and using putty n glue later to scape my tank it may be out of water for a day or two. Planned on putting it in my new tank later with some live rock to get the nitrogen cycle going. I just had a problem last time with this rock leaching phosphate and wanna try to get that junk out before it goes in my dt

Thanks for all input
13ee525d4096c17107847289dd0d3fba.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will oxidize all organics which can then be removed, acid will etch away at the top layer. Imo if any phosphates are bound in the Rock it will be best removed by bleach and then rinsed with fresh water. Acid alone may not remove the organics.

OP
OP
Bama-Reefer

Bama-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long would you soak it in bleach and how would you go about cleaning it after

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a day in bleach, maybe 2 rinses with ro water. Maybe some vinegar after the first rinse. A day on strong bleach should get everything oxidized and then rinsing is the key to removing those now inorganic nutrients. Then a rinse or two lasting a day would pull out most everything.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would also add ammonia remover to the second rinse and let it stay in it for 24 hrs with a powehead running. Test for ammonia. If you still see a trace of ammonia repeat for a 3rd rinse. Then let it dry out in the sun for a day or 2. Better safe then sorry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back