RODI booster pump troubleshoot.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received an Aquatec 8800 booster pump, purchased from a member here. Plug everything in according to BRS videos. Once everything was connected, I turned on the source water, pressure gauge climbed to ~55 PSI as it did before the booster pump install. Turn on the pump, pump makes a good bit of noise so it's doing something, but the pressure reading remains unchanged. I tried to measure the output buy filling a measuring cup, and the amount of time it took to fill the cup with and without the booster pump was virtually identical (within 2-3 seconds).

Flow is like this: Source --> pump --> sediment/carbon/carbon --> 2x membrane --> 2x DI --> output. The RODI unit has been came 95% pre-assembled from BRS and has been in use for 3 months or so with the same pressure since day one...~55PSI. It is a 6-stage 150GPD with 550 restriction valve.

Here is the short clip just after it was set up:

Just want to make sure I set everything up correctly before we go through the hassle of returns.

20200221_140831.jpg

20200221_140824.jpg

20200221_140810.jpg

Last edited:

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, the booster pump should not sound like that...should be relatively silent with a hum and a clickety-tickety sound.

To test for diaphragm integrity of the booster pump, arrange in this order:

Water source - booster pump - pressure switch - shut off valve.

With no power to the booster pump, open the shut off valve and the water source and let it run for a few seconds and plug the booster pump power supply. The water should be coming out in a pulsing flow.

Close the shut off valve and the back pressure should trigger the pressure switch to turn off the power supply. If it doesn't, the booster pump diaphragm assembly is shot.

HTH

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you turned up the flow on the pump with a small Allen wrench? On the top of it

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you turned up the flow on the pump with a small Allen wrench? On the top of it

I have not. I wanted to double-check everything was hooked up correctly before I started making any adjustments. Plus from my understanding, that Allen set key is for bypass adjustment which I would imagine be higher than 55 PSI.

Which way should it be turned? I could not find any documentation.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is well over a year old but I am really curious as to what your outcome was? I have had my pump for quite some time and never been able to get anything over 50psi out of it! I contacted BRS, they told me I had to talk to the company. I have never received anything back from the company and I have tried contacting them multiple times.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back