RODI HELP

JustenT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I want a RODI UNit because got to the pet store 50 miles away doesn’t work for saltwater. I have a local water shop (weird huh) that offers distilled and Cleaned pure water, but a RODI unit would be helpful. Here is my problem, I’m 17 and still live with my parents, I use my bathroom to do water changes. I use the python water changer on my freshwater planted scapes. I was wondering if I could attach a RODI unit to my bedroom wall, and run the python to the unit on the wall. I’m not able to attach one in a certain room. And if it would work when I’m doing water changes.

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll have a bunch of challenges.

The biggest one is that the RO/DI unit makes water very slowly. So you need to set it up somewhere that it can fill a container to hold your freshwater until you have enough to use for top-off or mixing fresh saltwater. You can’t run water through it and right into the tank, because it’s too slow.

The RO/DI unit needs a small line to run water to it. This looks like the line to feed water to a fridge. It is relatively easy to tap into existing plumbing in your house to get this, but possibly not a project your parents will happily endorse.

The RO/DI unit produces wastewater and needs a drain to send the waste to.

So all in all, you need your water setup somewhere that has plumbing, which your bedroom most likely doesn’t.

Top choice would be to see if your parents can tolerate it in your laundry room. A drain will be handy there and you can use it to fill a 5 gallon bucket from old salt purchases.

Another option might be under a sink, or in the garage if you have one.

Hope this helps. More detail on your constraints will make it easier to help out.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I want a RODI UNit because got to the pet store 50 miles away doesn’t work for saltwater. I have a local water shop (weird huh) that offers distilled and Cleaned pure water, but a RODI unit would be helpful. Here is my problem, I’m 17 and still live with my parents, I use my bathroom to do water changes. I use the python water changer on my freshwater planted scapes. I was wondering if I could attach a RODI unit to my bedroom wall, and run the python to the unit on the wall. I’m not able to attach one in a certain room. And if it would work when I’m doing water changes.
RODI will not work with python, not enough pressure.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO/DI unit doesn't have to be hard plumbed or mounted. I keep mine in a rubbermaid tote, and just hook it up when I need to make water.

fjpod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons do you need? How big are your water changes? If the answer is less than 5-10 gallons every week or so, then why not just buy the distilled water from your local shop? My lfs sells RODI for 50 cents per gallon, or Target sells distilled for 85 cents. I use whatever is convenient/cheaper. By the time you buy the equipment, "plumb" it in, replace the membranes, DI resins, deal with the mistakes..... Just a thought.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could mount the RODI unit under the bathroom sink. Or you might earn brownie points by putting it under the kitchen sink with the little faucet on the counter where it's available to everyone - makes great drinking and cooking water. Mine's under the kitchen sink, and I put a 7gal reserve tank in a useless corner of the cabinets. That way I can get about 3gal (yeah, 7 gets you 3) at a decent flow rate.

OP
OP
JustenT

JustenT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons do you need? How big are your water changes? If the answer is less than 5-10 gallons every week or so, then why not just buy the distilled water from your local shop? My lfs sells RODI for 50 cents per gallon, or Target sells distilled for 85 cents. I use whatever is convenient/cheaper. By the time you buy the equipment, "plumb" it in, replace the membranes, DI resins, deal with the mistakes..... Just a thought.
I breed axolotl, so I have a bunch of 40 gallon freshwater, and a reef tank

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on "reef portable RODI" on google. Lots of college tanks, students at home, apartment dwellers that have such things and you'll get what did or didn't work from them.

My advice...put drain spouts and float switches on your 5 gallon buckets (or smaller Brute cans 10-20 gallon).

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a shower adaptor that lets you use it off of your showerhead. Then you can store the unit anywhere and put it in the tub when you want to use it.

Just designate some time once a week and fill a weeks worth of water into your containers.

Working in a tub has the added bonus of not flooding your parents house if you get distracted and forget to turn it off. Don't ask me how I know this ;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 111 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.2%
Back