RODI Necessary for Macro Algae Aquarium?

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am in the process of starting a 16 gallon macro algae lagoon aquarium with some invertebrates.

I was curious if RODI water was necessary for a macro algae tank like it is for a coral heavy aquarium.

I am not necessarily opposed to RODI but I live in a studio and there are not any good places for me to install it permanently so I would have to let it run overnight in my shower and uninstall in the morning which seems like a hassle.

I live in NYC and the tap water from what I have heard is pretty good for saltwater aquarium usage but I wanted to ask here before making any decisions.

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am in the process of starting a 16 gallon macro algae lagoon aquarium with some invertebrates.

I was curious if RODI water was necessary for a macro algae tank like it is for a coral heavy aquarium.

I am not necessarily opposed to RODI but I live in a studio and there are not any good places for me to install it permanently so I would have to let it run overnight in my shower and uninstall in the morning which seems like a hassle.

I live in NYC and the tap water from what I have heard is pretty good for saltwater aquarium usage but I wanted to ask here before making any decisions.

Thanks!
RODI for the inverts but not the algae unless there was an unusually high copper level.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI for the inverts but not the algae unless there was an unusually high copper level.
I think i’ll just go RODI after some more research. I’m spending enough money already that I don’t really want to fail on account of water or some mild inconvenience. I think I’ll get like a 10 gallon brute bucket which should last me at least a 3 weeks at a time.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY and I would attach DI system to kitchen sink.
Also, you can buy RODI water and for 16 gal system, water changes and top off shouldn’t be that much

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon and still use distilled water. Hauling jugs isn’t too bad. the cost difference isn’t enough to justify when you look at membrane replacement. Anything larger than 20 gallons and I’d make the switch. There’s also piece of mind with it. Distilled is **** near perfect water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back