RODI Problems

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I moved a couple months back and when we was looking at this house the water pressure was reading really low. So I moved in knowing I would need a booster pump. Well, now I'm here 3 months later and water company just replaced the meter. Now my water pressure is sky high (not even reading on my pressure gauge on my rodi). I'm seeing tons of booster pumps online, but anybody ever had a problem of the water pressure being to high? When I'm flushing pressure is pegged out, when I open it back up off flush it bounces between 100-125psi. System is a BRS 4 stage 75 gallon with 2 extra, so basically a 6 stage. Also another problem is my last chamber keeps holding air, every time I turn on my water have to unscrew the canister and let it fill back up with water.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting that high of pressure from your source water, I would worry more about the seals on your unit than using a booster pump. BRS suggests 90 to 100 lbs max. Are you sure your gage is reading correctly? I would think that at that much pressure, the local utility may have problems with leaks.

As far as the last chamber holding air, if the last chamber is your DI resin, that is common and usually not a problem. As long as the water is traveling up the canister, all is well.

OP
OP
Thrashed

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting that high of pressure from your source water, I would worry more about the seals on your unit than using a booster pump. BRS suggests 90 to 100 lbs max. Are you sure your gage is reading correctly? I would think that at that much pressure, the local utility may have problems with leaks.

As far as the last chamber holding air, if the last chamber is your DI resin, that is common and usually not a problem. As long as the water is traveling up the canister, all is well.
Yes gauge is brand new, I ordered a new one just to be sure of it. Booster pump wasn't ever put on because by the time I got everything moved they had installed the new meter. I might should of added I live right next door to the water department and am the first house on a street of about 200 houses. So I am getting all the front line pressure.

Seals was one of my concerns, but is why I was asking if there was anything I could do, because all I'm seeing is boosters and only regulators I'm seeing are auto flush kits. I am needing something to lower the pressure before it gets to my RODI

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of anything specific to rodi systems. You can buy pressure reducing valves(that are adjustable) from plumbing supply stores and probably big box hardware stores. Would require some extra work but should do what you need if no better option.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of anything specific to rodi systems. You can buy pressure reducing valves(that are adjustable) from plumbing supply stores and probably big box hardware stores. Would require some extra work but should do what you need if no better option.

If the pressure is that high this may be the way to go, the water company may be able to adjust the pressure at meter, but not knowing specifics I couldn't tell you, but a quick phone call to them may give you an answer.

Another option, while not recommended, would be to use a ball/gate valve to reduce the pressure. I've done this in a pinch but wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. These style valves are really only meant for on/off; not as flow restrictors. Even though they are typically used as such.

A globe valve would be best if you did go this route and safer for long term use, but I think I found better options for you below.

A quick Amazon search found this, but who knows how well it works. Here

We use something similar to this on our lab RO/DI systems. Just turn the dial and you can regulate up/down. Here.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about other plumbing fixtures in the house with that much pressure. Max pressure should be 80 psi if following UPC

Why are you measuring the pressure on the output of the membrane?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME typically the water pressure in a home is closer to 60psi and is generally capped by a pressure regulator in the meter (at least where I live it is). As mentioned I'd be worried about all of the other plumbing in your house, high pressure is hard on everything.
You should get ahold of your water company and ask about a pressure regulator.

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with those saying to contact the water company. Just as fyi too.. They have been puting backflow preventers in. This stops any household water from going back into the main outside. Your house will become a closed loop then. With a hot water tank, the hot water will build pressure in your home's pipes. You will see a sudden high pressure stream out of your faucet when it's been off for a while, then slow back down once the pressure is released from the pipes. Installing an expansion tank after your water heater will solve this. So, be aware of this issue as well. High pressure in your pipes for a prolonged period of time will cause water heater and all other water related equipment to fail in your home.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back