• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

RODI Water

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a unique situation where I do not have to pay for water in my rental, so I was thinking of setting up an RODI unit and selling water to local hobbyists to help pay for some aquarium expenses.

RODI water at my LFS is like $1.15 per gallon but I've seen other places sell it for as little as 50 cents per gallon. Just wondering if there is a general going rate for RODI nowadays?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a new local business (still based out of his home I believe) that is selling 8 stage rodi for 60 cents a gallon. They even send in regular icp tests on it.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be good in the 50 to 75 cents a gallon range :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS, across the alley from you, typically has it "on sale" for $.50/g.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my calculations taking into account the BRS 6 stage system, plus changing of filters every 6 months, it will cost me about $0.15 cents per gallon of RODI water produced. (Water cost itself being extremely minuscule, perhaps one penny per gallon). I think most of your cost will be in filter replacement after the initial system set-up.

Luckily we use the RODI system for fishes and Ro for water only, so this brings the overall cost down of having a system. (This is calculated using about 520 gallons per year for RO water, and also 520 gallons per year using RODI water).

You should set up shop for RO water to drink, AND RODI water for fishy =) Also most of these folks are paying taxes on their water so that's an extra 9.25% for some of us in CA. 2 LFS sell RODI for $0.50/gal, and one sells for $0.75/gal.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back