Roller mats v skimmers

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a roller mat, socks, filter wool or any other kind of pre filtration unless you call a skimmer pre filtration which in a way it is. I hear a lot about the latest pre filtration namely roller mat type pre filtration. Most of those who use them report a drastic if not complete lack of skimmate being produced. Just about everybody who reports this downturn in skimmate believes it is a good thing and I can see why. However, is that really the case? I ask because a skimmer as far as I know will remove stuff that perhaps a roller filter might not, I admit I don't really know am just putting it out there By stuff I mean compounds etc already dissolved in the water derived from foods not just bulk food. Roller mats are being touted as the latest and greatest, all I am asking is, is that really so and what perhaps a skimmer might remove a roller mat won't? Of course I expect those using roller mats to sing thier virtues but is there more to it than meets the eye esp scientific reports.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mat = constantly changing filter socks. I really don't see how their different then a filter sock you wouldn't have to change.

Fleece roller = fleece filter socks

Change out the sock daily and you have the same thing as a roller mat. The only thing different is you don't manually change out the sock, but rather the entire mat when depleted.

I certainly do not own one(I personally find them gimmicky), but would think that the rotting, decaying matter on the mat would tend to get a bit stinky after a few days?

Roller mat = rich mans filter socks.

I say rich mans, only because us normal folks just change out cheap filter socks($5 to $10 socks that are reusable) as opposed to a $200 machine, and $30 mats that have to be replaced when used and not rinsed off and reused.

Last edited:

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a roller mat, socks, filter wool or any other kind of pre filtration unless you call a skimmer pre filtration which in a way it is. I hear a lot about the latest pre filtration namely roller mat type pre filtration. Most of those who use them report a drastic if not complete lack of skimmate being produced. Just about everybody who reports this downturn in skimmate believes it is a good thing and I can see why. However, is that really the case? I ask because a skimmer as far as I know will remove stuff that perhaps a roller filter might not, I admit I don't really know am just putting it out there By stuff I mean compounds etc already dissolved in the water derived from foods not just bulk food. Roller mats are being touted as the latest and greatest, all I am asking is, is that really so and what perhaps a skimmer might remove a roller mat won't? Of course I expect those using roller mats to sing thier virtues but is there more to it than meets the eye esp scientific reports.

Skimmers are not very efficient at filtering out particles. Filter socks, roller mats, filter floss etc are better suited. Not having any mechanical fiiltration aside from a skimmer will lead to much quicker buildup of muck in the sump and elsewhere.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fairly straight forward answer to me mate, people will report less skimmate as the Roller Matt will remove more efficiently any organics that will in time dissolve and end up in the skimmer cup. It’s two different technologies that are really efficient wend combined together.

Wolverine47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mats will remove a lot of particulates before they are able to break down and allow the skimmer to filter them out. They will keep the water clearer and are a great idea for people that like to feed a lot but don’t necessarily want to/have the discipline to change. However, you will still have stuff breaking down in your tank so a skimmer is probably still a good idea, but with the roller mat collecting all this particulates it would now be better to have a more slightly undersized skimmer since there will be a lot less load on the skimmer itself.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a bare bottom with roller mat / filter roller with refugium and no skimmer. I cant get my nitrates and phosphates above zero on test kits (red sea nitrate, hanna phophate) with a moderate bio load / feeding. So right now I don't have a strong need for a skimmer. I would agree with above comments that they're complementing devices. Also agree with benefits of the skimmer being oxygenation/ventilation and pH benefits. But, its also more work to maintain a skimmer than a filter roller. I won't ever go back to socks or floss again, filter rollers are super convenient and skimmers can be a pain to adjust and maintain. I may one day add a skimmer if I have a need for increased nutrient removal, but for now I like being skimmer-less.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are not very efficient at filtering out particles. Filter socks, roller mats, filter floss etc are better suited. Not having any mechanical fiiltration aside from a skimmer will lead to much quicker buildup of muck in the sump and elsewhere.
Fully aware of all that but that's not what I am asking but thank you anyway.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't really a VS question. You should run both some kind of mechanical filter (I run mesh socks) like the roller mat and a skimmer as well. The skimmer will remove excess proteins in the water that the mechanical filter won't catch.
Am sorry but it is. I haven't run mechanical filtration for years now and it works perfectly well for me and how I run my tank inc SPS LPS corals.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fairly straight forward answer to me mate, people will report less skimmate as the Roller Matt will remove more efficiently any organics that will in time dissolve and end up in the skimmer cup. It’s two different technologies that are really efficient wend combined together.
To some extent they do similar things but only to a point.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way.....

Roller mats or any type of mechanical filtration has to have that stuff go down your overflow to be collected. What about the stuff that settles inside the display and never makes it to the mechanical filtration?

It will break down in the display adding itself to the water column as DOC's, and that's what the skimmer will remove that the mechanical filtration doesn't.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perspective that I’d like to add is that my roller mat (Klir 7 - I’ve only used it for the past 3 weeks) allows me to more safely leave the tank while I travel.
  1. I still use a skimmer, but cleaning it is my least favorite task
  2. Having both gives me a bit of redundancy while traveling
  3. Having both might leave my tank too clean - I’m watching PO4 and NO3 closely at the moment
  4. Roller mats can leave heavy particulate in the chamber tumbling

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way.....

Roller mats or any type of mechanical filtration has to have that stuff go down your overflow to be collected. What about the stuff that settles inside the display and never makes it to the mechanical filtration?

It will break down in the display adding itself to the water column as DOC's, and that's what the skimmer will remove that the mechanical filtration doesn't.
Good reply and going someway to answering my question. Thank you.
Am I alone in not using mechanical filtration? Well in fact I know am not as there are others who don't and get similar results to me. I wouldn't call roller nets a gimmick but I do question mechanical filtration and the need for it. I have to admit however I do run Oxydators which go someway to neutralising to some extent some of the solid waste a roller mat will remove.
images.jpeg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run no mechanical filtration, just skimmer, and live rock.

I do find I get a bit of settling detritus in my sump, but my tank looks much healthier since I took off my socks about a year ago.

I will admit I run them about once a week for a few hours after maintenance day to collect the debris floating around.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good reply and going someway to answering my question. Thank you.
Am I alone in not using mechanical filtration? Well in fact I know am not as there are others who don't and get similar results to me. I wouldn't call roller nets a gimmick but I do question mechanical filtration and the need for it. I have to admit however I do run Oxydators which go someway to neutralising to some extent some of the solid waste a roller mat will remove.
images.jpeg

To your point when I was feeding lightly I ran no mechanical filtration.

I started feeding more heavily and it required me to use mechanical filtration to pull out excess food and algae before it can break down. When I ran a softie 20G I didn't have any skimmers or mechanical filtration.

That being said I would get a skimmer before getting mechanical filtration if choosing between the 2.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run no mechanical filtration, just skimmer, and live rock.

I do find I get a bit of settling detritus in my sump, but my tank looks much healthier since I took off my socks about a year ago.

I will admit I run them about once a week for a few hours after maintenance day to collect the debris floating around.
Thank you. Of course removing detritus a week or so after it's been produced will have mostly broken down anyway. Glad you noticed an improvement when you removed your mechanical filtration as I did quite some years ago.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To some extent they do similar things but only to a point.
Completely different things mate, but if we going to start talking about the need and no need of a roller Matt or a protein skimmer we will be derailing the thread. I for one don’t have a roller Matt any prefilter or a protein skimmer but I can see that these equipment have they’re use. I just choose to export in a different way.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back