OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this time, can you tell me how your experiment is going, I noticed the pictures on your op Page and you got little babies everywhere it seems like. Thank you
No answer, I hope the virus didn't take Ron out. Bummer he will be missed
Doc, I don't live on R2R. You only posted 30 minutes ago!

It's a long story. But this is it in a nut shell.

I had 3 rounds of babies in my old DT. I never saw spawning or deliveries, just new babies.

So about 3 months ago I set up a 16g RFA breeding tank with 30+ RFA (some probably to young or small to propagate). I had 3 spawns (2RFAs, 2 more RFAs and finally 1 last RFA) over 18 days. Curiously, each one 9 days after the one before it. And 37 days after that first spawn I got 3 babies. So 28 dyas after the 2nd spawn and 19 days after the 3rd spawn. I believe the first spawn was responsible and IMHO the gestation period seems to be 30 to 40 days... but that's just my experience.

We don't know why the crazy low birth number. I had a salinity issue before the spawning events. It could be that sparked a premature spawning? Or it may have damaged the sperm or egg viability?

So I'll continue on.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc, I don't live on R2R. You only posted 30 minutes ago!

It's a long story. But this is it in a nut shell.

I had 3 rounds of babies in my old DT. I never saw spawning or deliveries, just new babies.

So about 3 months ago I set up a 16g RFA breeding tank with 30+ RFA (some probably to young or small to propagate). I had 3 spawns (2RFAs, 2 more RFAs and finally 1 last RFA) over 18 days. Curiously, each one 9 days after the one before it. And 37 days after that first spawn I got 3 babies. So 28 dyas after the 2nd spawn and 19 days after the 3rd spawn. I believe the first spawn was responsible and IMHO the gestation period seems to be 30 to 40 days... but that's just my experience.

We don't know why the crazy low birth number. I had a salinity issue before the spawning events. It could be that sparked a premature spawning? Or it may have damaged the sperm or egg viability?

So I'll continue on.
Thanks for updates

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell down the rfa rabbit hole a few months ago at one of the swaps - it's the first thing my husband expressed interest in, claiming one looked like a zerg from starcraft. Can't disagree.

Naturally, I decided that was a good enough reason to start collecting. I now have 10 of them scattered throughout my tank. 3 of them found their way to inaccessible parts of the tank so they only get food by happenstance, and the rest are easily accessible so I target feed them regularly. The ones I can reach have grown exponentially larger than the ones in the back. I use a mixture of aquaeggs, goldpods, mysis, and coral feast for any target feeding and they accept it just like everyone else does. I have to agree that your statement regarding offering food makes a huge difference. I usually target feed 2x a week and broadcast feed 2x a week. I can only guarantee they're getting food during the target feeding but it is definitely making a difference.

I have yet to see any spawning events. The chances of all 10 being female seem slim, but it's only been a few months so we'll see.

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a harlequin in your first pic? Can only see a bit of it's body.

I so want another one, cute little critters. Been a couple years since I had one, but unfortuantly I underestimated how much they can eat, and it died of starvation.
It's a sexy shrimp. I love the Harlequin shrimp, but never had one because of their diet.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell down the rfa rabbit hole a few months ago at one of the swaps - it's the first thing my husband expressed interest in, claiming one looked like a zerg from starcraft. Can't disagree.

Naturally, I decided that was a good enough reason to start collecting. I now have 10 of them scattered throughout my tank. 3 of them found their way to inaccessible parts of the tank so they only get food by happenstance, and the rest are easily accessible so I target feed them regularly. The ones I can reach have grown exponentially larger than the ones in the back. I use a mixture of aquaeggs, goldpods, mysis, and coral feast for any target feeding and they accept it just like everyone else does. I have to agree that your statement regarding offering food makes a huge difference. I usually target feed 2x a week and broadcast feed 2x a week. I can only guarantee they're getting food during the target feeding but it is definitely making a difference.

I have yet to see any spawning events. The chances of all 10 being female seem slim, but it's only been a few months so we'll see.

I really appreciate your sharing your input about feeding and RFAs. I have to admit that I don't feed regularly and on average over the few months that my breeding tank has been set up, it probably been less than once a week, maybe even once every 2 weeks. But I just bought a tub of silversides and intend to chop them up and use for anemone food. I'm even contemplating buying an expensive casting net to use for catching minnows/bait fish to use for food. We, my wife and I, walk the beach regularly and see schools of tiny fish that I think would make great food for both the RFAs and even for the main DT inhabitants.

It's a sexy shrimp. I love the Harlequin shrimp, but never had one because of their diet.

Sexy shrimp are so small. And I have to admit, I've been very happy to see that they have survived for 3 months in my RFA breeding tank. And with so little else in the tank (no rocks and black sand) they are easy to find and keep track of.

dracus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 3 months ago I set up a 16g RFA breeding tank with 30+ RFA

I've been looking at doing something similar for a general frag tank. I don't suppose you documented the 16g build anywhere? There are a million threads for breeder builds but never having built a tank from scratch, I'm not real sure where to start or how simple to keep it.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at doing something similar for a general frag tank. I don't suppose you documented the 16g build anywhere? There are a million threads for breeder builds but never having built a tank from scratch, I'm not real sure where to start or how simple to keep it.

Not the 16g specifically. It was just a quick build from leftover glass from another build.

Below, in my signature is the build thread for my DIY 90g DT (36"x 30"x 20"). If you seriously want to do a DIY tank, feel free to send me a PM and ask questions.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it's really easy to keep things balanced in a tank focused on these guys.

I spot-feed them shrimp pellets regularly, and also have a few bumblebee snails, astreas, a tuxedo urchin and a sexy shrimp.

Since the feedings are so rare, and the snails will happily clean up anything the nems miss (or I miss trying to feed them), there's almost no waste nutrient load.

I had read a lot about people having trouble keeping things balanced in a nano tank, but this little guy has been incredibly easy to maintain so far without a big fish load and food disappearing into the cracks...

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it's really easy to keep things balanced in a tank focused on these guys.

I spot-feed them shrimp pellets regularly, and also have a few bumblebee snails, astreas, a tuxedo urchin and a sexy shrimp.

Since the feedings are so rare, and the snails will happily clean up anything the nems miss (or I miss trying to feed them), there's almost no waste nutrient load.

I had read a lot about people having trouble keeping things balanced in a nano tank, but this little guy has been incredibly easy to maintain so far without a big fish load and food disappearing into the cracks...

My feelings exactly. A small HOB filter and a small in tank skimmer keep the water crystal clear! I dose a small amount of alk once a week when I test my DT.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be receiving 4 more RFA this week. Super excited, can't wait to see how they look in my tank. I'll post some pictures when they are in. That will make it a total of 10 :rolleyes:. I think I have an addiction ;Bored.

Welcome to my world! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Woot;Woot

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an article about breeding RFAs in the 2nd quarter of 2015 issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine. It hits some things I've always said. Including the pvc end cap home for RFAs. But he also says that RFAs spawn 4 times a year, both equinoxes and both solstices. And that gestation is 2 to 3 months. I have very serious doubts about the first point and absolutely refuse to except the second point. The gestation in my first round was either 37 days or 28 days depending on which spawn fertilized the eggs. I'm seriously leaning toward the first spawn which means a 37 day time frame.

He also made comments about females growing faster than males and that adult females look different than adult males. Although he does add that these two points are much more open to discussion and research.

This just confirms to me how little we really know about RFA breeding and life style.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman that can't be correct? I looked back on the date from when I filmed my first spawn, to when I saw my first baby climbing the glass. It was roughly 40 days between spawn and me seeing the first baby, so i Think your 37 days is pretty spot on.

@Lisavet2000 I have 4 more ultras coming in from Austin Aqua Farms today. that will make 12 in my DT. I might have an addiction also. :D

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman that can't be correct? I looked back on the date from when I filmed my first spawn, to when I saw my first baby climbing the glass. It was roughly 40 days between spawn and me seeing the first baby, so i Think your 37 days is pretty spot on.

Nothing I like better than having somebody confirm data I believe, but can't be sure of. Thanks so much for sharing!!! ;Woot;Woot;Woot

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are doing very well. 2 can't seem to get comfortable and end up moving most of the time. I had to turn back on some flow because of the two that won't get settled. I typically find the two in very uncompromising situations when I inspect the tank every morning. (like upside down in the pictures)
20200520_221009.jpg
20200520_220856.jpg
20200520_220900.jpg
20200520_220906.jpg
20200520_220934.jpg
20200520_220917.jpg
20200527_071128.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to gestation time, is it possible the RFA's you guys have witnessed gestating at 37 days were actually already pregnant from a previous spawn a month or two prior? How is this ruled out?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anythings possible I guess?

I have witnessed every spawning event with them in my tank to my knowledge(it always seems to happen when my lights are ramping down for the night). I have only seen any babies recently and it was 40 days after the last spawning event(they could have been born sooner, but thats when I first saw them climbing the glass). I have had several spawning events since then, but only these 2 babies so far.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help figuring out where to put my RFAs. I initially bought 2 and one mysteriously disappeared. The other is very happy and firmly planted. Then I bought 6 more and put them in pvc caps in the sand, near the happy one. Of the 6, 3 bailed on the pvc caps after a week. Two of those attached to a rock almost on top of each other. The smaller, weaker one has since disappeared. The other seems happy there so far. One thing I’ve noticed is that all of them are more expanded when the lights are off and they tend to retract when the lights are on. They are at the bottom of my biocube. They don’t seem to like any flow either - one I keep finding released and swirling in the current by my powerhead. Well, now he’s missing. Ugh.
Here are some tank shots and the RFAs are in the lower right. Any suggestions?

4001120E-441A-4946-A841-90C7D90BE8A9.jpeg

E2F5C682-87CF-4AAF-B6B5-91B67A9F4185.jpeg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my adults that are well planted, take quite a bit of flow. To the point of being folded over when I run a nutrient export mode. Nothing seems to bother them.

Smaller ones like it a bit calmer IME. If they keep detaching, and are floating around your tank, you either have to much flow, or something is amiss with your chemistry. They are pretty hardy creatures all in all.

EDIT:
Like most nem's, they will settle where ever they feel like it. With that said, I find they like to either be in the corner of my tank, or on the edge where rock meets sand.

Last edited:
Back