Roundworms??

MrsWeathers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake eel and I believe he has external roundworms attached to him! We were using prazi pro but they haven’t touched these critters on my snowflake eel! Seems like they have multiplied now and started out teeny tiny and are gradually getting bigger. They are stringy brown worms with white ends. My eel is the only one that has anything on him and he stays under 1 rock constantly. He never leaves this rock except maybe half his body will come out to eat or just look around. I cannot find anything on dealing with external roundworms, especially on an eel! I know I can fresh water dip him to get them off and pull them off of him with tweezers but I need to get them out of my aquarium! Help please!! What do I do??

A799EDCE-C009-406A-9B0D-E7DD08A0E4E9.jpeg AB323D8A-9169-48D6-9F47-83D9B8ADFAC8.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake eel and I believe he has external roundworms attached to him! We were using prazi pro but they haven’t touched these critters on my snowflake eel! Seems like they have multiplied now and started out teeny tiny and are gradually getting bigger. They are stringy brown worms with white ends. My eel is the only one that has anything on him and he stays under 1 rock constantly. He never leaves this rock except maybe half his body will come out to eat or just look around. I cannot find anything on dealing with external roundworms, especially on an eel! I know I can fresh water dip him to get them off and pull them off of him with tweezers but I need to get them out of my aquarium! Help please!! What do I do??

A799EDCE-C009-406A-9B0D-E7DD08A0E4E9.jpeg AB323D8A-9169-48D6-9F47-83D9B8ADFAC8.jpeg
Is the eel feeding normally? Are the worms pointed at both ends? I’ve seen many free-living roundworms, but the parasitic ones I’ve seen are all internal. As mentioned, a regular light photo would help.

Jay

OP
OP
MrsWeathers

MrsWeathers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get him to come out with the white light. He only comes out at feeding and at night. He is eating normally and yes it looks like what is on that fire goby in the picture above! I’ve read to manually remove them but that doesn’t fix my problem with them being in the tank. My engineer goby now has 2 on him as well!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a shot in the dark here cleaner wrasses??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal any experience with formalin and eels?
Eels are fine with standard formalin treatments, but you do need to keep them well covered so they don’t jump out of the dip bucket. I don’t think they are roundworms, probably fish leeches like the fire fish has. I’d suggest 150 ppm formalin with good aeration for 45 minutes. If that doesn’t get them all, go to 166 ppm for one hour. Trouble is, I didn’t not know if that will break the life cycle in the tank.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get him to come out with the white light. He only comes out at feeding and at night. He is eating normally and yes it looks like what is on that fire goby in the picture above! I’ve read to manually remove them but that doesn’t fix my problem with them being in the tank. My engineer goby now has 2 on him as well!
Try turning off the blue lights, putting a flashlight on it and getting the shot that way?

Jay

OP
OP
MrsWeathers

MrsWeathers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to go get some cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse this weekend. Even after I get them off of him and my goby, how do I get them out of the tank? I done a prazi treatment in my display, it seemed to help a little bit but once the treatment was done, he got twice as many on him. Everything I’ve seen says they are roundworms. I was looking into febenazole”? But I don’t know if it’s safe for all my fish. I know it’s not safe for inverts and corals.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as far as getting out of tank.fishing light line,barbless hook tied to a stout rod when feeding ;Facepalm know sounds prehistoric ,but works

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to go get some cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse this weekend. Even after I get them off of him and my goby, how do I get them out of the tank? I done a prazi treatment in my display, it seemed to help a little bit but once the treatment was done, he got twice as many on him. Everything I’ve seen says they are roundworms. I was looking into febenazole”? But I don’t know if it’s safe for all my fish. I know it’s not safe for inverts and corals.
Definitely skip the cleaner wrasse! Unless you can get one from East Africa, you’ll just have issues. I commonly see cleaner shrimp on eels while diving, should that might work?

Jay

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that without a dip and they continue to populate, there's a good chance of infection.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back