Royal Gramma eating very little if at all

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma seems to be eating not at all or very little. I treated the DT with Cupramine for 3 days a couple of weeks ago after adding a new Vanderbilt Chromis which had stringy poo after being in quarantine. Tank parameters, other fish and corals are fine. He looks and acts normal. Should I be concerned? #Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I don’t think a 3 day Cupramine treatment will have any real benefit. The label instructions say 14 days. I run 30 days with coppersafe.
My worry is there could be something cooking that the short copper Rx missed.
No spots on the gramma?
Not breathing fast?
Have you tried different food items?

Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,
I misspoke. I did 3 day Prazipro in the DT. The Vanderbilt Chromis got cupramine only in quarantine. No spots on the Royal Gramma, looks fine, no heavy breathing. The Vanderbilt Chromis has not had any further stringy poop that I know of. They get fed a mixture of hatchery pellets, mysis PE pellets and marine flakes. #Jay Hemdal

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frozen fish eggs are my go to food for my RG. It loves eggs. I have a couple of the varieties of Rod's frozen eggs and the RG loves them all. Goes crazy for them. normally it's a very passive fish. Add some eggs to the tank and it goes on a mission trying to scope every last one up.

My RG won't touch flakes and very rarely will eat anything floating... loves eggs though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,
I misspoke. I did 3 day Prazipro in the DT. The Vanderbilt Chromis got cupramine only in quarantine. No spots on the Royal Gramma, looks fine, no heavy breathing. The Vanderbilt Chromis has not had any further stringy poop that I know of. They get fed a mixture of hatchery pellets, mysis PE pellets and marine flakes. #Jay Hemdal
I would try diced frozen mysis, or if you can get some - live adult brine....just to entice it to feed. If it doesn't go for those, then there is some underlying disease issue....but without clear symptoms, I can't say whay that might be.

Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try diced frozen mysis, or if you can get some - live adult brine....just to entice it to feed. If it doesn't go for those, then there is some underlying disease issue....but without clear symptoms, I can't say whay that might be.

Jay
He ate a couple of live brine today. I have to wonder if he is just a picky eater.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate a couple of live brine today. I have to wonder if he is just a picky eater.

Well, that's a start I guess, but it should be eating more. Could it be intimidated by some other fish in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they all get along just fine. I am just convinced some type of bug is a problem. One of the clownfish has been hanging around the back top part of the tank on his side most of the time. I might as well treat with Prazipro. Before I do it, why does it require a water change beforehand? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they all get along just fine. I am just convinced some type of bug is a problem. One of the clownfish has been hanging around the back top part of the tank on his side most of the time. I might as well treat with Prazipro. Before I do it, why does it require a water change beforehand? @Jay Hemdal
No - as long as all the parameters are o.k., you don't need to change water prior to a prazi treatment. Just turn off UV, remove carbon, remove the skimmer cup (if used) but still run the skimmer, and then add a good air stone to the tank. Dose with prazi, then after three days, change a third of the water, and after another five days, dose again.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positive buoyancy can be difficult to diagnose in clowns. Watch for a moment where it stops swimming for a bit - does it rise in the water column? If you post a short video under white light I might be able to tell.
Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I think he does rise when he stops swimming. And he struggles more than the other clown to swim down the tank. He has been hanging around the back upper part of the tank water line for quite some time and I thought it was clown behavior. Should I move him to quarantine and dose with something besides Prazipro? @Jay Hemdal

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma seems to be eating not at all or very little. I treated the DT with Cupramine for 3 days a couple of weeks ago after adding a new Vanderbilt Chromis which had stringy poo after being in quarantine. Tank parameters, other fish and corals are fine. He looks and acts normal. Should I be concerned? #Jay Hemdal
My gramma is sometimes a bit picky with regard to mysis and brine. He will eat it but not enthusiastically. Love cyclopods though. Maybe it’s because he’s so small but if yours is too I’d maybe try cyclods on and off as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guru at my LFS suggested stopping any pellet food for the time being and feeding frozen mysis shrimp with spyrolena (sp?). He said pellets can cause a problem too. So, I am going to try that first since he is fine otherwise.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guru at my LFS suggested stopping any pellet food for the time being and feeding frozen mysis shrimp with spyrolena (sp?). He said pellets can cause a problem too. So, I am going to try that first since he is fine otherwise.
Pellets are great provided your fish eat them and they’re small enough. My pellet are so small they get trapped under my fingernail lol. I haven’t looked into feeding Mysis with Spirulina but considering it’s green I wouldn’t want to discolour them tank but as I said I have no idea how that works. Mysis is usually the staple food that most fish will eat. Good luck with it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the clown, I called Seachem this morning and the rep recommended Kanaplex for 6 days, 3 doses in a quarantine tank @Jay Hemdal
That is a standard treatment of their’s. Just be aware that any time somebody suggests an antibiotic to use, it is just a guess; both as to which antibiotic to use, and often, if it is even a bacterial issue to begin with. I don’t have another treatment to suggest, so if the fish is looking worse, you should probably try it.
Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back