Royal Gramma harem

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a Royal Gramma Harem for a 75 gallon tank. Interested in hearing other people's experiences.
Is this tank too small?

Local LFS always has small Gramma's, under/just at 1".
Can get larger ones as well.

Is there an optimal numer of fish?
I'm expecting to get a single 1.5"+ fish and X number of small ones.

Thank you!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really cool idea and would add some nice color and movement to a tank. Would it be like Chromis when they knock each other out or does a hierarchy develop and live in harmony?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also plan on doing this in my new build. Likely gonna order ~5 to start with and see how it goes. That or ill get a pair of black cap basslets but they are a bit spendy to do a harem for me.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool idea and would add some nice color and movement to a tank. Would it be like Chromis when they knock each other out or does a hierarchy develop and live in harmony?
Lol, hoping to avoid the chromis experience.

From research and searching old threads.
1. It works great (4 months worth of timeframe)
2. You end up with a pair.
3. You end up with one.

Hoping for #1

Research says they are like yellow tangs. Grouping together in nature up to 100 at a time. (Royal Gramma's are small enough to keep numbers high enough to make it work?)

Interesting comment from LFS. They keep them all in 1 90 gallon tank. They have 10 to 15 Royal Gramma's at a time for sale.
"Yeah, when their numbers start dropping because we sold most of them, they really start to beat each other up and then we have to seperate them."

They just hang out like a tank full of fresh water cichlids if the numbers are high enough.
Not sure how long that phase lasts.

Current plan (so far) will be trying 7 in the 75 gallon tank.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol, hoping to avoid the chromis experience.

From research and searching old threads.
1. It works great (4 months worth of timeframe)
2. You end up with a pair.
3. You end up with one.

Hoping for #1

Research says they are like yellow tangs. Grouping together in nature up to 100 at a time. (Royal Gramma's are small enough to keep numbers high enough to make it work?)

Interesting comment from LFS. They keep them all in 1 90 gallon tank. They have 10 to 15 Royal Gramma's at a time for sale.
"Yeah, when their numbers start dropping because we sold most of them, they really start to beat each other up and then we have to seperate them."

They just hang out like a tank full of fresh water cichlids if the numbers are high enough.
Not sure how long that phase lasts.

Current plan (so far) will be trying 7 in the 75 gallon tank.

Makes sense. Do you plan on having other fish in the 75 as well?

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Do you plan on having other fish in the 75 as well?
Yes, current residents are a mated pair of Longnose hawkfish, small flame hawkfish, 2 inch copperband butterflyfish, inch and a half Springeri damsel, Labouti wrasse, flame angelfish.

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work well with 6 minimum. My understanding is that a single male is dominant over a harem of femles. Been a whil since I've researched this. However, one will change to male and become considerablely larger. Ive had a pair for 3 years. The lfs employees were easily snoody with me when I bought them lol.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a firefish harmony?
They are nice but I have always liked a number of other fish more.
The other fish I have are more likely to intimidate them vs the Royal Gramma.
They are also one of the worst in the "five becomes one" category according to research.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work well with 6 minimum. My understanding is that a single male is dominant over a harem of femles. Been a whil since I've researched this. However, one will change to male and become considerablely larger. Ive had a pair for 3 years. The lfs employees were easily snoody with me when I bought them lol.
Nice! A pair would be nice but I don't want to work towards it the hard way.
I am hoping 7 will be sufficient.

They are all little slivers of a fish at -1".
I could certainly dump more in the tank now, but I need to account for future growth.
Still debating whether 7 of them is a sufficient number to spread around aggression.

I already have a 2" copper band that's going to be my excuse for a larger tank in a few years.
[emoji4]

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma turn male if it say by itself very fast. Make sure you have the LFS keep them together. Even very small RG can turn male. Two males will fight to the death, even in my 450 gal tank in the past.
They are dimorphic once they turn, after a few months. Males have less yellow and more purple, the purple extended further down the body.
Males also have longer pelvic fin. Unless feeding a good diet they tend to loose color in aquarium. They are perfect reef fish. Does nto bother anybody, but can hold their own space. A lot of posturing but I have never seen my RG bite any fish.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make that a 40 breeder at the LFS.
Rock is mostly branching or slabs.
97102d61608d8e5b56b3633672c8ad8c.jpg

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have long term success with larger, 2inch+ sized Royal Grammas?

When I got my group of 3, the largest was 1.25+ inches and the other two were less than an inch.

The remaining two are now stuck at 1 inches even after 3 yrs. Tank is large enough for growth.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grew fast. The male was about 3 inches. How big is your tank? They don’t eat dry or flakes. Almost exclusively frozen food.
Are they healthy and FAT? They should be fat.
They are small fish.
How long can they live for?

Our neon blue cleaner gobies are 2 and 1/2 years old now.

Back