RS Max E-170 start up

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting back into the hobby, at least the salt side of it. I've always had aquariums, mostly fresh, some native, only dabbled in marine. Since retiring and moving to Maine, our new place is rather small so I sold all my larger tanks and have just decided I needed a small but nice one, hence the E-170.
It arrived the other day, and I was impressed by the quality of the equipment and how easy the cabinet was to assemble. Based on the info I mostly got off this forum I've been ordering from BRS. The salt arrived today, so tomorrow I head to the LFS and buy a couple dozen fish, throw in some corals....Nah, just kidding. Tomorrow I put water in and start the cycling. Since there will be no livestock in the tank for awhile is there a recommended salinity to shoot for during this period?
RS Max E 170-1.jpg

A unique salt mixing station in a small rarely used shower. At least I won't have to worry too much about spills in there!
RS Max E 170-3.jpg

RS Max E 170-2.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats...They are such good looking tanks. You would be okay with a dozen fish tomorrow, but a couple dozen would be pushing it just a little....nah! :)

OP
OP
Rivus

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flash forward 2 weeks, back from vacation...a good time to let the tank cycle. Ammonia and nitrites were 0 today, so I dosed it back up to 2ppm NH3/NH4. Hoping the bacteria eat it by tomorrow if so, I should be ready for a CUC?
What about lights? They've been off so far with just a trace of diatoms recently. Probably need something growing in there to feed the crew.
I have a 10g QT which it cycling on the same schedule, I hope. Might have some fish soon! Planning perculas to start.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back