Ruby Red Dragonet Thoughts???

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about obtaining one of these guys any done the research for them in the part that they are pretty small and like the Mandarin Dragonet consume live copepods (for the most part). But due to their size could I keep one in my 24 gallon AquaTop system. It's about 1 year an a half old and does contain copepods and gets dosed twice a week with live phytoplankton and rotifers.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. I've kept several, including pairs. Very active fish. They eat constantly and will check out your rocks and sand all day looking for pods. They are very finicky to pull through an entire QT process, not to mention expensive because you will need to feed with live pods. I've had a couple that would eat the larger red Arctic Pods, and one that would eat frozen brine shrimp. Make sure you have a tight-fitting lid - and I mean tight. These things seem to find a way to jump out with the smallest of gaps.

Your tank is too small for a pair, I think, but if you get a male and keep your glass clean you'll get the full display show as he tries to impress his own reflection (I never said they were smart :) ). Get one as long as you have a very healthy pod population. You'll enjoy watching him.

OP
OP
MysticSea

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. I've kept several, including pairs. Very active fish. They eat constantly and will check out your rocks and sand all day looking for pods. They are very finicky to pull through an entire QT process, not to mention expensive because you will need to feed with live pods. I've had a couple that would eat the larger red Arctic Pods, and one that would eat frozen brine shrimp. Make sure you have a tight-fitting lid - and I mean tight. These things seem to find a way to jump out with the smallest of gaps.

Your tank is too small for a pair, I think, but if you get a male and keep your glass clean you'll get the full display show as he tries to impress his own reflection (I never said they were smart :) ). Get one as long as you have a very healthy pod population. You'll enjoy watching him.
Yes I totally agree with having one only and since I grow my own phytoplankton and rotifers why not add copepods to it haha.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would this work for well established 20g? Except i want a female so it stays smaller and doesnt consume as many pods. #reefsquad ?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work for well established 20g? Except i want a female so it stays smaller and doesnt consume as many pods. #reefsquad ?
I have one in my 20 gallon, although I use Paul B’s feeder and keep a mesh bag of cheato in the tank to act as a breeding ground for the pods. It’s doable, but a lot of work

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 20 gallon, although I use Paul B’s feeder and keep a mesh bag of cheato in the tank to act as a breeding ground for the pods. It’s doable, but a lot of work
Ok i tihnk i could make it work. I i forgot to add that I have a friend at my LFS who said he would train a mandarin onto prepared foods (i wanted a mandarin before but i decided ruby red is probably better, smaller option). I would dose pods in display tank like 2-3 months before adding fish to QT. Id set up QT around the same time, grow lots of pods in there, and the cultivate some more in a 5gal bucket. Then once the mandarin is in the DT i would use QT to cultivate pods. (I wouldnt be using it anymore cuz i wouldnt be addign mroe fish). Id also add about 5lbs of live rock to my DT, cuz i dont have to much rock, but my current rock is SUPER porous. #reefsquad

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i tihnk i could make it work. I i forgot to add that I have a friend at my LFS who said he would train a mandarin onto prepared foods (i wanted a mandarin before but i decided ruby red is probably better, smaller option). I would dose pods in display tank like 2-3 months before adding fish to QT. Id set up QT around the same time, grow lots of pods in there, and the cultivate some more in a 5gal bucket. Then once the mandarin is in the DT i would use QT to cultivate pods. (I wouldnt be using it anymore cuz i wouldnt be addign mroe fish). Id also add about 5lbs of live rock to my DT, cuz i dont have to much rock, but my current rock is SUPER porous. #reefsquad
Sounds like a good plan, hope it works out

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back