Rumor only - New Vortechs??

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so embarrassed I just bought Vortechs. I will bury them in the yard and tell no one.
Em-bare-done, I just bought 2 mp10's and a REEFLINK knowing The white whale may breach any day :p

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else would be cool is a built in directional gyre, allowing you to turn the pump any which direction from your phone. So you don’t have to put your hands in the tank to angle the flow.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess, they are getting ready for them to be compatible with mobius. I have read the older Mp's with a green wifi chip will not talk to the mobius app, and need a newer black colored wifi chip.
This is true of the QD controllers, but apparently not the ES units.
ESL tells me my ES controllers aren't compatible at all. 1 of my QD units is ready to go, and 3 of them state upgrade-able.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess, they are getting ready for them to be compatible with mobius. I have read the older Mp's with a green wifi chip will not talk to the mobius app, and need a newer black colored wifi chip.
That is true. A friend of mine that was beta testing the mobius told me the same thing..

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to agree with your LFS. If you think back on ETM’s discount pattern, a new product release usually follows a few months after a major sale. Both the Vortech’s and Radions were on sale at the end of last year and now we have a new gen of Radions.

I would also agree with the previous comment that an upgrade to include Mobius is likely. I’m hoping for an ETM controller....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a stronger magnet I have a mp40 and the magnet slides down if not on just right. My tank 3/4 inch acrylic went with maxspect gyro stronger magnet

3/4" is right at the maximum for the MP40, and it will slide down if you haven't followed the directions and properly hung the dryside.

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to agree with your LFS. If you think back on ETM’s discount pattern, a new product release usually follows a few months after a major sale. Both the Vortech’s and Radions were on sale at the end of last year and now we have a new gen of Radions.

I would also agree with the previous comment that an upgrade to include Mobius is likely. I’m hoping for an ETM controller....
I guess time will tell. On another note, I was under the impression that the latest versions of the Vortechs would support the new Mobius app since they have the black wireless chip, what are your thoughts?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also agree with the previous comment that an upgrade to include Mobius is likely.

Not likely …… inevitable LOL. Swapping out the wifi card doesn't qualify as a 'new version' to me though.

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a new cage that allows you to focus the flow by rotating it. Think like a 60 degree funnel that allows you to rotate the cage for a vortech on the back wall and make it partially directionable. I think that would be cool.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An MP style elongated Gyre/Crossflow style would be nice for sure. I’d buy 2-3 when they hit market. I’ve wanted to use that style of pump for a while, but the biggest deterrent has been size. Going from an MP40 wet side to a comparable crossflow pump is a big change, not mention the wire in the tank! ......ewwww.....wires

Tastes are tastes I get it. But honestly....a little 1” section of wire at the surface of my gyres is WAY less obtrusive looking than a giant dry side poking out and an awkward wire running up the outside of the tank I’ve always felt like the wire in the water thing is so over emphasized. The absolute best thing about vortechs is the ability to quickly swap wet sides rather than taking flow out of commission while soaking and scrubbing.

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wet side will be battery powered, allowing it to detach itself from the base (which is essentially now a charging station) and using sensors, it will move about the tank several times a day to generate random flow and gently clean your substrate and rock work. Kinda like a Roomba for your aquarium. ;)

... later versions will be able to monitor water quality, identify unwanted pests, and zap them with its onboard laser.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wet side will be battery powered, allowing it to detach itself from the base (which is essentially now a charging station) and using sensors, it will move about the tank several times a day to generate random flow and gently clean your substrate and rock work. Kinda like a Roomba for your aquarium. ;)

... later versions will be able to monitor water quality, identify unwanted pests, and zap them with its onboard laser.
I love it!

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a new cage that allows you to focus the flow by rotating it. Think like a 60 degree funnel that allows you to rotate the cage for a vortech on the back wall and make it partially directionable. I think that would be cool.
And easy to implement. Simple ideas like this are usually the best.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's not something that is coming, this was a DIY project from years ago to combat against the loud dryside....

You mad scientist, that's awesome! Hopefully they eventually come out with something that looks less like earmuffs.

giphy.gif

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id also love the ability to program and store your own 24 hour wave cycle without any additional controllers. Which is one of the best things about the Gyre.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem to recall somebody 3D printed a directional nozzle .....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back