Running a refugium AND dosing nitrates?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

My refugium is super efficient at removing nitrate...it will strip my tank bare in no time so at the moment I only run my light for 2 hours per night. This is keeping my nitrates at 3ppm. My phosphate however can climb quickly when my gfo is depleted...which doesn't take long! My system is 1000 litres approx and gfo is expensive at the rate I get through it. Also, my reactor needs upgrading as I cant run much flow though it without causing a storm inside.

Although nitrate is consumed by chaeto multiple times more than phosphate, I'm thinking of increasing my fuge light to 6 or 8 hours to increase phosphate consumption but dose nitrates.

Do you think this will help with phosphate removal and reduce gfo depletion time?

Does anyone dose nitrate AND run a fuge?

Thanks!

Rene2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do...
I have a refugium growning Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha. Together with a DSB in both display and refugium, my nitrates are gone in no-time. I daily dose for 2ppm rise, but it's hardly detectable.

Only difficulty in my aquarium is harvesting. My refugium is too small (only 1/8 of my system). When I prune part of the algae, this has a direct effect on the stability of the system (the following days immediately some algae growth in the display and some cyanobacteria on the sand).

I also use a power filter (small return pump with filter fleece on an enlarged inlet.
I don't use GFO, and skimmer.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do...
I have a refugium growning Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha. Together with a DSB in both display and refugium, my nitrates are gone in no-time. I daily dose for 2ppm rise, but it's hardly detectable.

Only difficulty in my aquarium is harvesting. My refugium is too small (only 1/8 of my system). When I prune part of the algae, this has a direct effect on the stability of the system (the following days immediately some algae growth in the display and some cyanobacteria on the sand).

I also use a power filter (small return pump with filter fleece on an enlarged inlet.
I don't use GFO, and skimmer.
Thanks Rene. So your fuge is your main source of phosphate export and it keeps it low enough?

Rene2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rene. So your fuge is your main source of phosphate export and it keeps it low enough?
Yes, it's my main source of export. Although the power filter also contributes (in combination with iron supplementation, which in a certain way also functions as a phosphate adsorber).

Low enough...? I believe my reef is a little dirtier then most people like (although not terrifying). It's a continuous fight and a pretty delicate balance. I do notice that as my corals get bigger, there is less surplus of phosphate.
So I hope one day I will be able to supplement both nitrate and phosphate.

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

My refugium is super efficient at removing nitrate...it will strip my tank bare in no time so at the moment I only run my light for 2 hours per night. This is keeping my nitrates at 3ppm. My phosphate however can climb quickly when my gfo is depleted...which doesn't take long! My system is 1000 litres approx and gfo is expensive at the rate I get through it. Also, my reactor needs upgrading as I cant run much flow though it without causing a storm inside.

Although nitrate is consumed by chaeto multiple times more than phosphate, I'm thinking of increasing my fuge light to 6 or 8 hours to increase phosphate consumption but dose nitrates.

Do you think this will help with phosphate removal and reduce gfo depletion time?

Does anyone dose nitrate AND run a fuge?

Thanks!
I feed a lot my levels stay between 0.3 for nitrites....I like them higher around 10 I have to those Nitrates 2 times a week I dose ME Nitrates brand

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a lot my levels stay between 0.3 for nitrites....I like them higher around 10 I have to those Nitrates 2 times a week I dose ME Nitrates brand
Cooool. Do you have a fuge? How do you export phosphate?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algea turf scubber . I have the opposite no phosphates and I stay at 4.4 nitrates just started neophos . Potent stuff.

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooool. Do you have a fuge? How do you export phosphate?
Yes just cheto and nopox 10 ml a day normally SPS dominated Tank

All tanks are unique

Attachments

• IMG_20220312_102007688.jpg
    IMG_20220312_102007688.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 34

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just cheto and nopox 10 ml a day normally SPS dominated Tank

All tanks are unique
Since I started doing nopox my corals got that beautiful coloration just as when you got them from a frag swap!!!!

Beautiful coloration and growth!!! I have to frag a lot specially my bird ness I can't even get rid of them at $10 a frag ... Every time someone stop by to buy frags from me I trow a bird nest for free..... lol

I attribute the growth to the cheto and nopox but that's is my own observation in my tank .

I tried in the pass GFO

With no results ,plus I hate the red residue gets every where!!!

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first sps also! I have about 30 frags of it i cant get rid of to other hobbiests! Grows too fast to shift !
Beautiful coral .....I wish my acroporas will grow as my birdnest!!!. I took 20 frags to my local fish store ....$20 frags!!! I give me $20 !!! I didn't like the deal but I felt bad just throwing away the coral ...then went next week and price them at

$49.99. ...lol all gone now!! And I'm like I need to get better advertising...

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Nitrate and Phospate and Chaeto grow. No skimmer, I have 2 lights on my fuge that are putting out 300par and I grow 5 macro's. I pull out about 3 gallons of macro every 2 weeks. I also feed with a plank feeder or 1 minute every two hours from 8:00AM to 6:00PM.

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4993.JPG
    IMG_4993.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Nitrate and Phospate and Chaeto grow. No skimmer, I have 2 lights on my fuge that are putting out 300par and I grow 5 macro's. I pull out about 3 gallons of macro every 2 weeks. I also feed with a plank feeder or 1 minute every two hours from 8:00AM to 6:00PM.

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG
Cool! But why dose both po4 and no3 ? Whats the benefit of putting both nutrients in to then take them back out again? Isn't it better to lower the light cycle so that you balance at least one of the elements and just dose the other to keep stable? I'm curious

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! But why dose both po4 and no3 ? Whats the benefit of putting both nutrients in to then take them back out again? Isn't it better to lower the light cycle so that you balance at least one of the elements and just dose the other to keep stable? I'm curious
I think yes, you are probably correct. I am still ramping up my DT light PAR as well as adding fish as they go through QT. I am running my fuge lights for 16 hours a day and dosing to keep the nutrients above 0. po4: .06ppm no3: 1.5ppm.

My long term goal is to adjust the fuge lights to alternate my DT lights as well as find as close to no dosing as I can through schedule adjustments. Until I get to full light schedule in my DT and full fish stock I want my Macro's growing full blown on growth hormones! to absorb any increases in either lights or livestock and keep any Dino/Dyno/Hair Algae from having a chance to take hold.

I feel with dosing I have the ability to scale up or down my dosing as needed.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yes, you are probably correct. I am still ramping up my DT light PAR as well as adding fish as they go through QT. I am running my fuge lights for 16 hours a day and dosing to keep the nutrients above 0. po4: .06ppm no3: 1.5ppm.

My long term goal is to adjust the fuge lights to alternate my DT lights as well as find as close to no dosing as I can through schedule adjustments. Until I get to full light schedule in my DT and full fish stock I want my Macro's growing full blown on growth hormones! to absorb any increases in either lights or livestock and keep any Dino/Dyno/Hair Algae from having a chance to take hold.

I feel with dosing I have the ability to scale up or down my dosing as needed.
Yes you certainly will have better control by dosing :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back