Running a Small Canister

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I know that most folks look poorly upon the humble canister filter and I can understand why for the most part. These need to be run carefully and with a lot of planning ahead to ensure that it does not turn into a disaster. I wanted to kind of run through my plan for this filter and see what others are doing with theirs.

I am running a small Fluval (I think its a 207 but I may be wrong). I have 2 baskets of bio media (scrubbies and ceramic rings) leaving one chamber open and the initial intake rack open. The plan for the open rack is to pack it full of batting to scrub the water and remove large particles changing this out 2-3x per week. If I am unable to plan for the next change (say I am out of batting) I will leave it open. The open chamber will get more filter floss or batting as needed or be left open. This chamber is also reserved for when I may need to run chemical filtration down the line (Carbon etc.)

This canister opens up a little more biological filtration while permitting me to be flexible with alternate media as needed.

Base on my particular tank this is also the easiest filter to add on with the limitations involved with my cover and tank shape.

So.. what are you running and how do you keep this filter from becoming a problem.. I am eager to read!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank will the filter be connected to? How much live rock and/or live sand is in the system?

OP
OP
bearsfish

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank will the filter be connected to? How much live rock and/or live sand is in the system?
In my case, the tank is about 40 gallons (corner Bowfront) and currently, there is about 20 pounds of rock along with 20 pounds of crushed coral and 10 pounds of agaronite live sand.

I intend to add about another 20-40 pounds of rock over time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case, the tank is about 40 gallons (corner Bowfront) and currently, there is about 20 pounds of rock along with 20 pounds of crushed coral and 10 pounds of agaronite live sand.

I intend to add about another 20-40 pounds of rock over time.

Because you have the live rock for biological filtration, another approach would be to use the canister for primarily mechanical (and occasionally chemical) filtration. This would limit the risks associated with power loss to your canister.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running my tank on a canister and HOB skimmer for nearly 15 years now, and though I will never doubt the benefits of having a sump, keeping a reef on a canister is absolutely doable.

Regarding the Fluval, I’ve run through two of those and though they filter great, I’ve had them break on me. Mainly the impeller cover is poorly designed and is subject to cracking. You can find replacements but for as much as those filters are (relative to other canisters) they shouldn’t break like that.

I have a PennPlax Cascade 1000 that has 3 simple chambers and filters from bottom up. The motor housing is built much more solidly than the Fluval, and its cheaper. The media is stacked in this order: mechanical (coarse then fine pad) in bottom chamber 1, biological filtration ( Seachem Matrix) in middle chamber, and chemical ( Chemipure Blue) in the top.

Some instructions will tell you to have the polishing last, and I personally believe this is a mistake. I watched a video about arranging with polishing early and my nitrates plummeted. I hover around 1ppm.

Lastly, you may be surprised to hear this, but I only change the fine filter media/polishing pad once a month. A lot will depend on your bio load but I’ve never gone more often than every 2 weeks... so 2-3x a week may not be needed.

Good luck!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I know that most folks look poorly upon the humble canister filter and I can understand why for the most part. These need to be run carefully and with a lot of planning ahead to ensure that it does not turn into a disaster. I wanted to kind of run through my plan for this filter and see what others are doing with theirs.

I am running a small Fluval (I think its a 207 but I may be wrong). I have 2 baskets of bio media (scrubbies and ceramic rings) leaving one chamber open and the initial intake rack open. The plan for the open rack is to pack it full of batting to scrub the water and remove large particles changing this out 2-3x per week. If I am unable to plan for the next change (say I am out of batting) I will leave it open. The open chamber will get more filter floss or batting as needed or be left open. This chamber is also reserved for when I may need to run chemical filtration down the line (Carbon etc.)

This canister opens up a little more biological filtration while permitting me to be flexible with alternate media as needed.

Base on my particular tank this is also the easiest filter to add on with the limitations involved with my cover and tank shape.

So.. what are you running and how do you keep this filter from becoming a problem.. I am eager to read!!
Don't forget, you can get at Walmart batting for pillows . That's all I use for batting in diy canister. Circulates in sump.

20190715_191758.jpg
1 of 32 carnation corals, dendronephthya sp.
Screenshot_2019-10-02-09-26-08-1.png

OP
OP
bearsfish

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running my tank on a canister and HOB skimmer for nearly 15 years now, and though I will never doubt the benefits of having a sump, keeping a reef on a canister is absolutely doable.

Regarding the Fluval, I’ve run through two of those and though they filter great, I’ve had them break on me. Mainly the impeller cover is poorly designed and is subject to cracking. You can find replacements but for as much as those filters are (relative to other canisters) they shouldn’t break like that.

I have a PennPlax Cascade 1000 that has 3 simple chambers and filters from bottom up. The motor housing is built much more solidly than the Fluval, and its cheaper. The media is stacked in this order: mechanical (coarse then fine pad) in bottom chamber 1, biological filtration ( Seachem Matrix) in middle chamber, and chemical ( Chemipure Blue) in the top.

Some instructions will tell you to have the polishing last, and I personally believe this is a mistake. I watched a video about arranging with polishing early and my nitrates plummeted. I hover around 1ppm.

Lastly, you may be surprised to hear this, but I only change the fine filter media/polishing pad once a month. A lot will depend on your bio load but I’ve never gone more often than every 2 weeks... so 2-3x a week may not be needed.

Good luck!

Great information!!
As the tanks has no inhabitants just yet I was going to change out the pads from all the junk the sand had suspended and then leave them empty for now.

I will look into that other filter for the future. This one came with a trade so I figure I would use it..

I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate all of the input from your post!!

Don't forget, you can get at Walmart batting for pillows . That's all I use for batting in diy canister. Circulates in sump.

20190715_191758.jpg
1 of 32 carnation corals, dendronephthya sp.
Screenshot_2019-10-02-09-26-08-1.png

Walmart is where I get both kinds of batting. The flat sheets (this stuff is great!) and the loose pillow fill. I have been using these for years on salt and freshwater systems...

I cannot bring my self to pay the rates for the aquarium marketed stuff that is identical.

I love that filter!! is there a thread or video on its construction?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information!!
As the tanks has no inhabitants just yet I was going to change out the pads from all the junk the sand had suspended and then leave them empty for now.

I will look into that other filter for the future. This one came with a trade so I figure I would use it..

I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate all of the input from your post!!

Walmart is where I get both kinds of batting. The flat sheets (this stuff is great!) and the loose pillow fill. I have been using these for years on salt and freshwater systems...

I cannot bring my self to pay the rates for the aquarium marketed stuff that is identical.

I love that filter!! is there a thread or video on its construction?
I forgot to do to do a build. Bummer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're quite welcome for the info, that's what this community is for after all!

Regarding the Fluval, I agree with you using what you have. It's a great filter and no reason to run out and buy something new.

Curious to see how this goes, as i know us canister folks are in the minority, I'm always looking to learn about how to make what I have work even better!!!

Back