Running in & Cycling

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
We have a 120 mini reef. We are new to this and are wondering if you can run in the skimmer and cycle at the same time?
All the information I have read states running in 1-2 weeks. So do I begin my cycle at the end of this period or during?
we have the Aquarium Systems “start your tank” 30 day kit.
also should the skimmer have bubbles straight away?
thanks any help is most welcome
Claire

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,
We have a 120 mini reef. We are new to this and are wondering if you can run in the skimmer and cycle at the same time?
All the information I have read states running in 1-2 weeks. So do I begin my cycle at the end of this period or during?
we have the Aquarium Systems “start your tank” 30 day kit.
also should the skimmer have bubbles straight away?
thanks any help is most welcome
Claire
I wouldn’t skim yet. You want bacteria to culture and establish itself. Once livestock is added, shortly after you can run skimmer to remove unorganized and control nutrients

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you should run a skimmer, it has no benefit for now except that beneficial bacteria will grow on the insides of the machine, and also get your break-in period done during the cycle time. Skimmers will often have lots of micro bubbles during the break-in time

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t skim yet. You want bacteria to culture and establish itself. Once livestock is added, shortly after you can run skimmer to remove unorganized and control nutrients

yes you should run a skimmer, it has no benefit for now except that beneficial bacteria will grow on the insides of the machine, and also get your break-in period done during the cycle time. Skimmers will often have lots of micro bubbles during the break-in time
LOL, I agree with both, Skimmer will not help your cycling process. If you wanted to run your Skimmer anyway I would run it at a very low setting so your not getting anything in the cup, but bubbles are still flowing through the inside....... There is a nasty micro-bubble break-in period on most skimmers especially small ones like ours.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you’re going to run the skimmer, run it with the cup off. Why?
This will allow for air and water to be mixed into a dense foam where these particles can make their way up through the skimmer body, over the skimmer neck, and finally end up exported in the skimmer’s collection cup.Without running your skimmer this way, particulate matter would further break down into nitrate and phosphate which will fuel algae growth and only cause you headaches in the long run. This is equally as important, if not more important when curing dry rock in a separate system or in the new tank itself. The amount of dried organic material on certain types of dry rock like Pukani for example, results in some pretty nasty water during the cure – much more than your typical cycle with rock that has been pre-cured. This large amount of biomass will quickly break down into smaller particulate like I mentioned before where it will be highly beneficial to remove it before it has the chance to break down further. One thing to note however, is that the water will likely be so foul that your skimmer will tend to produce so much foam for the first few days that it may overflow the cup. You will want to make sure that you are actively monitoring the collection cup level to prevent any nasty spills or overflows. If it constantly overflows, turn down the air control a little

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run it normal. Lol. It will clear water for you as it cycles. Theirs stuff in ur water u cant see. Believe me. Lol. If its a decent skimmer itll pick some of the particulate out of the water. Lol. Way over thinking this.
D

OP
OP
Orsifish

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to run the skimmer, run it with the cup off. Why?
This will allow for air and water to be mixed into a dense foam where these particles can make their way up through the skimmer body, over the skimmer neck, and finally end up exported in the skimmer’s collection cup.Without running your skimmer this way, particulate matter would further break down into nitrate and phosphate which will fuel algae growth and only cause you headaches in the long run. This is equally as important, if not more important when curing dry rock in a separate system or in the new tank itself. The amount of dried organic material on certain types of dry rock like Pukani for example, results in some pretty nasty water during the cure – much more than your typical cycle with rock that has been pre-cured. This large amount of biomass will quickly break down into smaller particulate like I mentioned before where it will be highly beneficial to remove it before it has the chance to break down further. One thing to note however, is that the water will likely be so foul that your skimmer will tend to produce so much foam for the first few days that it may overflow the cup. You will want to make sure that you are actively monitoring the collection cup level to prevent any nasty spills or overflows. If it constantly overflows, turn down the air control a little
Thanks for this info, much appreciated!
The tank has a load of foam up the top as you mentioned, but the cup is definitely not overflowing we have it on quite low so the water in only coming up half an inch of the neck. We are hoping to put some fish in on Friday hence asking re cycling and running. Your information is great
So you think take the lid off the cup or the whole cup out?

OP
OP
Orsifish

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wont matter either way. I say run it. Your tank will cycle. Its best to get a skimmer going at least 1-3 weeks after starting the tank imo. 1st day if you have it.
D
Hi monkey, thanks for your advice, why run for a few weeks? We are hoping to put 2 clowns in on Friday which will be day 3 of cycle.. thoughts?

OP
OP
Orsifish

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I agree with both, Skimmer will not help your cycling process. If you wanted to run your Skimmer anyway I would run it at a very low setting so your not getting anything in the cup, but bubbles are still flowing through the inside....... There is a nasty micro-bubble break-in period on most skimmers especially small ones like ours.
Hi Jtp - it looks as though there are no bubbles being produced by the skimmer, but there would be micro bubbles? Is this normal Then? Thanks for your assistance

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has a load of foam up the top as you mentioned, but the cup is definitely not overflowing we have it on quite low so the water in only coming up half an inch of the neck. We are hoping to put some fish in on Friday hence asking re cycling and running. Your information is great
So exactly how are you cycling? Have you added a live bacteria and ammonia?

OP
OP
Orsifish

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A8F3856C-5D54-4A7C-A031-F3C461BAAEB5.jpeg

Hi Gary, we are using this 30 day kit for starting, which says add fish on day 3

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lid off the cup is sufficient (reduces micro bubbles)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi monkey, thanks for your advice, why run for a few weeks? We are hoping to put 2 clowns in on Friday which will be day 3 of cycle.. thoughts?
I say too soon but be prepared to test daily for next 2-3 weeks and be prepared to do water changes if needed as you will experience nitrate and ammonia spikes.

Back