Rusted Impellers

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my ATI water results back and Zinc, Nickel, and Iron were high. Went looking at MP40s and found one to have a small amount around the end of the shaft, so I felt pretty good about finding the issue. While cleaning the sump out today as the detritus was building in the refuge section, cheato needed trimming, and figured a larger than normal water change was in order with the metals in the water from my analysis. I pulled everything out and figured I would pull the small powerhead out that churns the cheato to clean any debris from the impeller assembly. I didn't check this one once I found the rust in the MP40 shaft assembly....WOW was I surprised to find the whole impeller assembly full of RUST. I have only been using this powerhead for 3-4 months tops! It was an Aquatop PH-8.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ea33e303a3f5aa669b1fe675cc215b45.jpg

2c7e26f368d4e85735d25406c6170209.jpg

0b76a23398388bd5a1a68f24b42f605c.jpg

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found something similar happened to my frag tank filter. I only realised after noticing it would be working fine 1 minute and stopped working the next, I opened it up seen the rust gave it a good clean a week later the same problem so I binned it and brought another.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multi-year old pumps that dont look like that. Those metals sound like stainless steal composition, think you found the source.
It is possible the mp-40 was actually picking up iron by its magnets, not providing a source of it. I would ditch the aquatop pump.
With pumps that seat that way. Its very likely it got clogged. And the shaft went off axis causing damage, thus what your seeing now.

When i had a rare earth magnet rust in my tank was suggested to me to use polyfilter by another member.
How raised was the nickel and zinc?

Small warning my use of polyfilter, caused my skimmer to go nuts.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Metasorb from TLF and generally keep some around (kids have used the tank as a wishing well before!). I have two of the packets in my sump now and did a 25gal WC. Corals hadn’t given much sign of distress other than Fl Ric just didn’t look right for the last week or so. Reason I really started looking was a Cyano type film here and there. My salifert kits showed @5 Nitrate and undetectable phosphate. So I sent test sample to ATI hoping to find something and glad I did. Now looking a little further into cyano looking algae I see that elevated iron/ metals can have this effect also which in most cyano threads I’ve read over the years always suggested Nitrate and Phosphate were to blame and if the personal test kits showed acceptable levels that the kits were “off” or the process wasn’t done correctly. I’m glad that these test are readily available now.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Element- Reading (Ref. Value)
Nickel- 3.61. (0.44)
Iron- 7.44 (0.44)
Zinc- 6.03 (1.77)

Also
Aluminium- 37.21 (0.09)
Silicon- 199.5 (88.58)
These two elevated elements, Al/ Si, lead me to think the MarinePure bio-block was breaking down since they are predominantly aluminum silicate from what I can find. So I removed the MarinePure block I had in the sump as well. Reducing feeding for 2-3 weeks since this should reduce nitrifying bacteria levels if the product works as described.

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my ATI water results back and Zinc, Nickel, and Iron were high. Went looking at MP40s and found one to have a small amount around the end of the shaft, so I felt pretty good about finding the issue. While cleaning the sump out today as the detritus was building in the refuge section, cheato needed trimming, and figured a larger than normal water change was in order with the metals in the water from my analysis. I pulled everything out and figured I would pull the small powerhead out that churns the cheato to clean any debris from the impeller assembly. I didn't check this one once I found the rust in the MP40 shaft assembly....WOW was I surprised to find the whole impeller assembly full of RUST. I have only been using this powerhead for 3-4 months tops! It was an Aquatop PH-8.

Following on mate....I recently had a similar result back on a icp.....only I can't find any rust yet in any of my impellers! Glad you found your smoking gun so to speak!

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have a new test back in about two weeks. Had to order more and they’ll be here Wednesday so will ship it to them Thursday. Last one took 11-12 days for results.

I’m using ATI Aquaristic and seems like the majority of people use Triton Lab, is there a reason other than popularity? Looks to me like they are comparable.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following on mate....I recently had a similar result back on a icp.....only I can't find any rust yet in any of my impellers! Glad you found your smoking gun so to speak!

[emoji779]️

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it wasn't the Ecotech pump then?

There was rusting at the metal tip that protrudes from the white ceramic shaft assembly. Think this was a QD wetside, I bought it used in a package deal with three MP40, manufactured in 2014 I think. Nevertheless after tediously cleaning around the parts there were signs of degradation on the metal so I went ahead removed it along with the pump pictured. The $20 powerhead doesn’t bother me as much as needing a $75 part to continue with the MP40.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mailed off a new sample in yesterday evening. Hopefully with the Metasorb UHC and WCs there’s a good difference in readings.

I wonder if the metals would have impact on pH? My pH has been consistent high 7.7-7.8 for last couple months, haven’t been to worried since it was consistent no matter when I checked or different test kits. It does seem to match the time frame of the when the suspect pump was in use.....

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is sure better now. My FL Ricordea had not been real good before delving into a problem and finding the rusting parts. They are much more extended and inflated today. iPhone pic but thought I’d share

66ac77c0fc6f227bbd5ee1208751eb47.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back