Sad Day - Had to Put Her Down

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a three grill family and when we have parties, I rely on all three grills....especially my big boy, Char Broil Red.
Big Char Broil Red Grill.jpg
This is a radiant, infrared grill that has a steel belly protecting the burners from dripping grease. I really liked this option in this grill. However, that belly is made of cheap steel and rusts easily and quickly. As someone said about my Datsun 260Z....on a dark night you can pull it into the garage, close the door, and sit in a lawn chair with a beer in hand, and listen to it rust. Well this belly is the same way. I don't think I get a full two years out of a belly...and then it's another 40 bucks. And this is with oiling, as they recommend

Yesterday, being the 4th, I went to fire up Big Red, and sure enough, it had rusted out again. I told my wife I'm done replacing bellies, so Big Red was hauled off to the metal scrape guys today.

RIP Big Red.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a three grill family and when we have parties, I rely on all three grills....especially my big boy, Char Broil Red.
This is a radiant, infrared grill that has a steel belly protecting the burners from dripping grease. I really liked this option in this grill. However, that belly is made of cheap steel and rusts easily and quickly. As someone said about my Datsun 260Z....on a dark night you can pull it into the garage, close the door, and sit in a lawn chair with a beer in hand, and listen to it rust. Well this belly is the same way. I don't think I get a full two years out of a belly...and then it's another 40 bucks. And this is with oiling, as they recommend

Yesterday, being the 4th, I went to fire up Big Red, and sure enough, it had rusted out again. I told my wife I'm done replacing bellies, so Big Red was hauled off to the metal scrape guys today.

RIP Big Red.
Sorry for your loss...that really sucks.
I use one of these big green egg grills. You should look in to it. Amazing grill and good bbq production. Temperature controlled and ceramic body that reserve the heat while keeping air circulation going, some of the best briskets this thing have produced for me Haha ha. You can even roast a whole turkey for Thanksgiving with it:))
So hard to get that good old steak taste using none charcoal grills..
Hope you recover and go get better grill my freind.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a sad day but you will learn to love again. Open your heart and find the girl I mean grill of your dreams :) my smoker came to its end have an Oklahoma Joe and a Nexgrill stainless steel propane keeping my summer hot now

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a sad day :( I'm sorry for your loss, I've been debating retiring my Weber for the past couple months. She's 7 years old now and is starting to show her age on some of the external parts. I've been pretty rough with her over the past few years but she starts up on the first press of the button every time and all her stainless steel is just as shiney as when I got her. I might just keep her around a little while longer:)

Although those Green Eggs are pretty darn tempting :rolleyes:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a sad day :( I'm sorry for your loss, I've been debating retiring my Weber for the past couple months. She's 7 years old now and is starting to show her age on some of the external parts. I've been pretty rough with her over the past few years but she starts up on the first press of the button every time and all her stainless steel is just as shiney as when I got her. I might just keep her around a little while longer:)

Best I ever had. Ha ha.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss...that really sucks.
I use one of these big green egg grills. You should look in to it. Amazing grill and good bbq production. Temperature controlled and ceramic body that reserve the heat while keeping air circulation going, some of the best briskets this thing have produced for me Haha ha. You can even roast a whole turkey for Thanksgiving with it:))
So hard to get that good old steak taste using none charcoal grills..
Hope you recover and go get better grill my freind.

Got me a Kamado Joe. One heck of a grill.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20190705_151522528.jpg

We got ours at a huge discount because it was Mr. Hankey brown. 10+ years later she still works. We do replace the grates every few years due to rust.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got ours at a huge discount because it was Mr. Hankey brown. 10+ years later she still works. We do replace the grates every few years due to rust.

LOL I remember looking at those going "Who on earth would buy that??" :p

I guess now I know! ;Hilarious Seriously though they are great grills, I haven't replaced a single piece on mine. Though I might replace the ignition button, it's got a little tear in the rubber. She gets a through cleaning once a year before being covered up for winter. The stainless steel grates are fantastic, I wish they were a little thicker like on there larger models but I can soak them and they come out almost brand new every time.

I hope you manage to get a few more years out of yours and I might try and do the same with mine, it is hard to replace something that just works, every time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[...]
As someone said about my Datsun 260Z....on a dark night you can pull it into the garage, close the door, and sit in a lawn chair with a beer in hand, and listen to it rust.

I’m sorry to hear about the demise of your beloved grill, but I have to ask...

Is it really a thing that people sit on a lawn chair alone in a dark garage listening to rust form? Is alcohol a key part of the process? o_O

I tried to watch grass grow once but only lasted about 15 seconds. :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about the demise of your beloved grill, but I have to ask...

Is it really a thing that people sit on a lawn chair alone in a dark garage listening to rust form? Is alcohol a key part of the process? o_O

I tried to watch grass grow once but only lasted about 15 seconds. :)

I spent the better part of spring watching my grass grow this year, it's a pretty painful experience.;Dead

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RIP Big Red.

Are you going to go with another Big Red?

Sorry for your loss. I recently retired my charcoal grille as well. Switched over to propane. Not sure if I like it or not..

Well according to some you've retired your manhood as well:eek::eek::eek:

I guess it's slightly better than my situation of never having my manhood;Hilarious;Hilarious

Welcome to the Gassier side of the grill:) Always keep a second tank close by, maybe a grill top smoking basket and you'll do just fine.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to go with another Big Red?

Well according to some you've retired your manhood as well:eek::eek::eek:

I guess it's slightly better than my situation of never having my manhood;Hilarious;Hilarious

Welcome to the Gassier side of the grill:) Always keep a second tank close by, maybe a grill top smoking basket and you'll do just fine.
I will say that after switching over, i immediately ran into problems. I went to turn on the valve on the propane tank, and the handle broke right off. So I had to take it back to the station and exchange it for another one.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best grill for the money are the Weber summits. Double insulated lid, works just fine in sub zero temps. Last forever, grates and all.

Key to keeping them clean is a overnight full burn if you are hooked to a gas line or a hour burn if on a tank.

I have 3 that are going on 13 years, minus the plastic looking a hair faded, they clean up like new.

I also have a Napoleon. Not the build quality of the Weber, looks prettier.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that after switching over, i immediately ran into problems. I went to turn on the valve on the propane tank, and the handle broke right off. So I had to take it back to the station and exchange it for another one.

Well that's just a horrible first experience. I hope things greatly improve in the future. Oh and make sure to close the valve after you use it or throw a cover on to keep the little ones from turning a knob and draining your tank:) Been there, done that ;Facepalm with the dogs anyway lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back