Sad Day - Had to Put Her Down

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Costco had a nice deal on the Joe awhile back but missed out on it. My $300 Akorn is working out nicely so far lol
We bought one from Costco about 4 yrs ago, worked fantastic. As posted earlier, I got tired of smelling like a fire. The Green Egg has the best wood charcoal though.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know of it its being sold in home depot. I believe it came out after the BGE and positive much cheaper;)
BGE will start 1200 end at 4000 if you compare same features.
Either way ceramics is the way to go ha ha
Nice propane to ceramic back to really, really nice propane

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a real bad boy
58172981743__22C20792-33C9-4EE4-AF22-D63C7002C0B2.JPG
IMG_4266.CR2.jpg
72 inches of induction heat with a self clean box. Weights 100 lbs. We use the grill and as a stove for events:)

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you didn't use charcoal. Good news is you can set things right
1sldm2.jpg

JK, I use a wood pellet grill so it adds taste as well.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1sldm2.jpg

JK, I use a wood pellet grill so it adds taste as well.

Plus +1

I just got my first pellet grill and will never go back. I think the egg thing works similar in that you can slow cook but you have to add the wood and control the firer.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I stopped getting alerts on this thread...so I'm catching up. I know I'll tick off true BBQ folks, but my charcoal/wood days are over. I started grilling in the late 60's/early 70's, and to the best of my knowledge, gas was not an option. I had a stovepipe charcoal starter that I first stuffed with newspaper, and then topped with charcoal. Light the paper, and about 20-30 minutes, you had hot coals. Today, I light the gas grill, no mess, no fuse, and five minutes later I'm ready to grill. I just can't be bothered with charcoal/wood...takes too long.

The other consideration is that we are not big red meat eaters. Yes, we have our big gatherings of hamburger/hot dog/ BBQ chicken parties, but otherwise, it's marinated sirloin or flank steak. No fancy smoked brisket or any other fancy pants smoked meats.

We're big into fish, shrimp, scallops, and the best BBQ chicken you've ever tasted.

So here's the bottom line....I used that big grill when we had big parties. This past July 4th I attempted to cook 40+ hamburgers. What I ended up with was grease fires left and right. So the replacement I'm seriously looking at is a grill similar to what @JumboShrimp posted, and @jsker with all those dogs. A flat iron grill that won't have any flair ups.

1563400958740.png

Sorry Green Egg and other ceramic grill folks, and charcoal/pellet people...just doesn't fit my lifestyle. o_O

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So make a liar out of me. I tell you we are not red meat eaters, and my wife tells me, with the temperature at 98F, she is not cooking in the kitchen. So now I'm at the grill cooking onions/peppers and sausage. I actually cooked the onions and peppers on the grill and followed it up with the sausage. Slow cook for over an hour, and then sear the cut ends.

Grilled Sausage.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I stopped getting alerts on this thread...so I'm catching up. I know I'll tick off true BBQ folks, but my charcoal/wood days are over. I started grilling in the late 60's/early 70's, and to the best of my knowledge, gas was not an option. I had a stovepipe charcoal starter that I first stuffed with newspaper, and then topped with charcoal. Light the paper, and about 20-30 minutes, you had hot coals. Today, I light the gas grill, no mess, no fuse, and five minutes later I'm ready to grill. I just can't be bothered with charcoal/wood...takes too long.

The other consideration is that we are not big red meat eaters. Yes, we have our big gatherings of hamburger/hot dog/ BBQ chicken parties, but otherwise, it's marinated sirloin or flank steak. No fancy smoked brisket or any other fancy pants smoked meats.

We're big into fish, shrimp, scallops, and the best BBQ chicken you've ever tasted.

So here's the bottom line....I used that big grill when we had big parties. This past July 4th I attempted to cook 40+ hamburgers. What I ended up with was grease fires left and right. So the replacement I'm seriously looking at is a grill similar to what @JumboShrimp posted, and @jsker with all those dogs. A flat iron grill that won't have any flair ups.

1563400958740.png

Sorry Green Egg and other ceramic grill folks, and charcoal/pellet people...just doesn't fit my lifestyle. o_O

I bought a propane griddle (same one as in post #34) a couple weeks ago and I've been using it a lot. This past weekend was teppanyaki chicken, veggies, and fried rice for dinner Saturday - only thing cooked inside was the white rice. Breakfast Sunday was bacon, pancakes, eggs.

Cooked ribeyes on it the other weekend, the "sear zone" gets 500*+ and certainly put a great sear on the steaks.

It's great not heating up the house when the AC is already having a hard time, and as much as I like bacon, it's nice not having the house smell like it all day.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1563400958740.png

Here is a little more information on the slim fold grill I have, I would like the 36 also;)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my decision on a replacement grill.....A Blackstone four burner griddle (3 foot wide).

Blackstone 1554.jpg

It's not a SlimFold, but then again, it's 1/6th the price of the three foot Slimfold. I felt this griddle was a good replacement for the one I disposed of, because that one was infra red, where grease never saw the open flame....and this BlackStone is similar in that way. Now when I do a load of greasy hamburgers, no flair-ups.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you purchased it yet? I almost picked up that same Blackstone, but when I saw the Blue Rhino shelves folded over as a lid, I decided to go with it.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love having one. We've been using ours almost daily. Last night was chicken quesadillas on it :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back