Sad Day - Had to Put Her Down

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my decision on a replacement grill.....A Blackstone four burner griddle (3 foot wide).

Blackstone 1554.jpg

It's not a SlimFold, but then again, it's 1/6th the price of the three foot Slimfold. I felt this griddle was a good replacement for the one I disposed of, because that one was infra red, where grease never saw the open flame....and this BlackStone is similar in that way. Now when I do a load of greasy hamburgers, no flair-ups.
Good choice, Costco had one like this grill.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn....yes, already ordered. That Blue Rhino Razor didn't show up when I searched griddle grills. And yes, I like how the shelves fold over the griddle surface. I am getting a cover for the Blackstone, but wonder how you keep the cover off the greased top iron.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn....yes, already ordered. That Blue Rhino Razor didn't show up when I searched griddle grills. And yes, I like how the shelves fold over the griddle surface. I am getting a cover for the Blackstone, but wonder how you keep the cover off the greased top iron.

I picked mine up at the local Lowe's.

Online pics look like the Blackstone lid rests on the back lip of the griddle and the hooks act as legs on the griddle surface?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a three grill family and when we have parties, I rely on all three grills....especially my big boy, Char Broil Red.
Big Char Broil Red Grill.jpg
This is a radiant, infrared grill that has a steel belly protecting the burners from dripping grease. I really liked this option in this grill. However, that belly is made of cheap steel and rusts easily and quickly. As someone said about my Datsun 260Z....on a dark night you can pull it into the garage, close the door, and sit in a lawn chair with a beer in hand, and listen to it rust. Well this belly is the same way. I don't think I get a full two years out of a belly...and then it's another 40 bucks. And this is with oiling, as they recommend

Yesterday, being the 4th, I went to fire up Big Red, and sure enough, it had rusted out again. I told my wife I'm done replacing bellies, so Big Red was hauled off to the metal scrape guys today.

RIP Big Red.

Most grills rust amazingly fast. They are kind of expensive, but if you are into coral perhaps these are in your price range. Take a look at the memphis, a wood fire pellet grill. I have one and it is awesome for fast cooks. Thick gauge stainless steel. I got mine used and it still has no rust. If grilling is an all day thing for you consider a ceramic grill. I have an old green egg but the kamado joes have some features that I think are better. The tops (removable air vent) can rust being cast iron, but nothing a scrub and grease cook cannot fix. Memphis is more convenient, but if you willing to get the fire going, the slow cook on real charcoal on the ceramic is hard to beat. I have often wondered if that thing could make a turd taste good.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 inches of induction
Sorry Green Egg and other ceramic grill folks, and charcoal/pellet people...just doesn't fit my lifestyle. o_O
Those big Green Eggs and Weber grills are ridiculously overpriced. In my opinion Charbroil are just as good for a fraction of the cost. Why do BBQ grills cost more than your indoor appliances?
Just gonna jump in on this. I owned several of the $100 charbroil/basic grills and I would be lucky to get two years out of them. In 1994 I bought my first webber and my wife thought I was nuts for paying $500 or 600 for a grill. That grill was passed along to my brother 5 years ago and his son is still grilling with it now. They came std with cast iron grates and are still in use, the flaverizor bars will rust out but replacments are cheap and last 6 or so years. You will get tired of it before its it fails.
I like Gas for ease and control, and can have dinner for a hungry crew in 10. I now use natural gas and grill year round if I snow-blow the patio. The best thing I like is that wife and kids buy me all kinds of griddles grates baskets and smoke boxes
for fathers day or b-day.
Its all good how ever you cook.... Like the China-man say "100 ways to cook the Cat"
bbq-grill.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

While it's not much fun grilling in 100* heat, I don't mind being outside in Feb and it's 40*. Covered back porch helps, can cook rain or shine!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna jump in on this. I owned several of the $100 charbroil/basic grills and I would be lucky to get two years out of them. In 1994 I bought my first webber and my wife thought I was nuts for paying $500 or 600 for a grill. That grill was passed along to my brother 5 years ago and his son is still grilling with it now. They came std with cast iron grates and are still in use, the flaverizor bars will rust out but replacments are cheap and last 6 or so years. You will get tired of it before its it fails.
I like Gas for ease and control, and can have dinner for a hungry crew in 10. I now use natural gas and grill year round if I snow-blow the patio. The best thing I like is that wife and kids buy me all kinds of griddles grates baskets and smoke boxes
Its all good how ever you cook.... Like the China-man say "100 ways to cook the Cat"
bbq-grill.jpg
Very sweet setup. I will bring the food ;)

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked mine up at the local Lowe's.

Online pics look like the Blackstone lid rests on the back lip of the griddle and the hooks act as legs on the griddle surface?

Well the cover I ordered is the typical grill cover look.

Blackstone Cover.jpg

And now that I see this picture, it looks like a dead person on a gurney. Anyway, I'm concerned about this cover contacting the greasy top iron cooking surface.

Looking around, I did find this "cover" for a mere $160:

Blackstone Griddle Iron Cover.jpg

I'm going to wait and see what I get, but my first thought is to take a piece of 3/4 plywood cut to just fit the grill surface and put maybe six eye hooks into it. The eye hooks will keep the wood off the surface of the griddle. And now cover with the fabric cover above. The plywood protects the cover from picking up the grease on the griddle.....and doesn't cost $160.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, I thought you meant a hard cover, wasn't thinking of the soft cover. I gave up on the soft covers years ago after meeting some industrious wasps who thought it was a great place to build a nest.

LOL to the body bag comparison!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

While it's not much fun grilling in 100* heat, I don't mind being outside in Feb and it's 40*. Covered back porch helps, can cook rain or shine!
You got it rough, :p I can do sub-zero as long as the wind is not howling. I will grill venison steaks when I am digging out after a blizzard, The neighbors and passer bys are getting stuck in the road and giving me funny looks (corner lot) standing their Grilling in the middle of winter.;Wacky

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bbq-grill.jpg

By the way, very nice backyard setup.

Now a little history about grills....my version, with my failing memory. In the day, Weber was a quality grill....and I believe the year of your Weber, they were still quality. However, even better was the Ducane. I still have my old Ducane, which originally came with a 100% guarantee on all parts....yes, all parts. A burner went bad, contact the company and a new one was on the way. Don't ask me what I paid, but if I remember, I had to give up my first born.

At some time Weber purchased Ducane and moved all manufacturing operations to China. Let me put it this way....the Weber you purchased in 1994 is of superior quality to the Webers they are selling today.

That all said, a couple months ago I purchase a Nexgrill (for me a no-name brand), and I'm very impressed with the exception that the grease trap fills up with rain water when it rains....and that's with the grill top down.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, I thought you meant a hard cover, wasn't thinking of the soft cover. I gave up on the soft covers years ago after meeting some industrious wasps who thought it was a great place to build a nest.

LOL to the body bag comparison!

And my problem with soft covers (on grills) is not so much wasps, but mice. I'd take off a cover after a couple weeks and in the grill would be a mouse nest. Once I stopped using covers, no mice building nests. With this flat griddle surface I'm thinking no place to build a nest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Funny- had a party Saturday and cooked Lots of foo on grill. Worked like a champ. Its a very expensive Brinkmann Pro series and fired it up yesterday and it barely had flame- Tank is over half full. Ive had it 6 years and it is stainless and still looks like new. Hard to find a unit with two doors and three drawers. Will try to clean orifices this weekend and hope for the best

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny- had a party Saturday and cooked Lots of foo on grill. Worked like a champ. Its a very expensive Brinkmann Pro series and fired it up yesterday and it barely had flame- Tank is over half full. Ive had it 6 years and it is stainless and still looks like new. Hard to find a unit with two doors and three drawers. Will try to clean orifices this weekend and hope for the best

I'm going to guess the grill wasn't shut off properly the last time it was used. The regulators now have safety devices that when triggered don't put out the full volume of gas. I guess how to re-set, but suggest you look it up. Turn everything off. Remove connection to the tank. Open all gas valves on the grill. Now shut them off and reconnect the tank. Turn on the tank and give it a shot.

If you turn off the tank before turning off the individual gas valves, it triggers this safety device. So always turn off the individual valves first and then the tank.

Hope this helps.

EDIT TO ADD:

Found a video on re-setting the regulator:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all said, a couple months ago I purchase a Nexgrill (for me a no-name brand), and I'm very impressed with the exception that the grease trap fills up with rain water when it rains....and that's with the grill top down.
Yup same issue with this one the tray will fill up and over the side goes the grease:mad: Mine is a Jenn-Air when Lowes was selling them. They are made by Nexgrill, I called this year to purchase new burners and was surprised to discover all the parts are covered:cool: Too bad about the webber thing, I hate it when that happens

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm going to guess the grill wasn't shut off properly the last time it was used. The regulators now have safety devices that when triggered don't put out the full volume of gas. I guess how to re-set, but suggest you look it up. Turn everything off. Remove connection to the tank. Open all gas valves on the grill. Now shut them off and reconnect the tank. Turn on the tank and give it a shot.

If you turn off the tank before turning off the individual gas valves, it triggers this safety device. So always turn off the individual valves first and then the tank.

Hope this helps.
Thank you- I'll try that

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Hope this helps.

EDIT TO ADD:

Found a video on re-setting the regulator:

Before even seeing the posted video, I took your advise and disconnected the tank, opened the valves and closed back. I reconnected the tank and the grill fired right up.
WOW, WE EVEN GET GRILLING HELP ON THIS NETWORK !!
THANKS AGAIN !!!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before even seeing the posted video, I took your advise and disconnected the tank, opened the valves and closed back. I reconnected the tank and the grill fired right up.
WOW, WE EVEN GET GRILLING HELP ON THIS NETWORK !!
THANKS AGAIN !!!

So I like my steak done medium......what time should I be stopping over? I'll bring a couple growlers of Sheboygan Sheep Shearer Scottish Ale. :rolleyes:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back