Sad Day - Had to Put Her Down

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I like my steak done medium......what time should I be stopping over? I'll bring a couple growlers of Sheboygan Sheep Shearer Scottish Ale. :rolleyes:
Now we're talking and grill goes on at 5:20p as there will be possible storms 6:45p. Then you can see my tanks especially the 660g which is now a mind-blower

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're talking and grill goes on at 5:20p as there will be possible storms 6:45p. Then you can see my tanks especially the 660g which is now a mind-blower
I have 10 oz grilled burgers aupove on the menu today with our regular afternoon storms.

Speaking of picture, when are you going to get that new grill dirty @redfishbluefish ?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 oz grilled burgers aupove on the menu today with our regular afternoon storms.

Speaking of picture, when are you going to get that new grill dirty @redfishbluefish ?

Well it isn't going to be delivered until Wednesday. If it arrives early enough, I'll get it seasoned and fire it up that night.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In anticipation of my new griddle grill showing up on Wednesday....what I'm now calling my Gurney Grill, because once I looked up what the cover looks like on this grill, it looks like a gurney from the morgue

1564269511831.png

I went and cut back some of the Hue shrubs and that darn English Ivy, that grows like a weed.....and I'm ready. The new grill gets the number one spot!

Ready for the new Grill.jpg

So the order is in size of grill surface....the new BlackStone, the Ducan (the grandfather of grills) and the NexGrill (when it's just my wife and I). And in looking at the photo, you can see the next victim going to the scrap yard....a Master Forge....the black grill behind my Honda....piece of junk grill.

Can't wait for my new baby! I'm a virgin at griddle grilling.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new grill arrived late yesterday during a down pour so didn't get to putting it together and seasoning until today. I also made a plywood top to flatten out the top of the grill and keep the cover off the oiled surface. What I did was use a piece of scrap 3/4 plywood and wrapped it with 1/2 trim to cover the plywood ends. I had handles from our old 60's rack stereo system that was tossed years ago and attached them to this top. Here it is before painting:

Blackstone with Wood Top.jpg

To keep the plywood from contacting the oiled surface of the grill, I installed T-nuts that held a carriage bolt and locking hex nut.....Four, in each corner....these standoffs work great.

Standoff Blackstone Top.jpg

This looks like it will work great....certainly better than the $160 top they wanted from Amazon!!! This one cost be a couple bucks in hardware.

And I still can't get over how this looks like a morgue gurney when the cover is on:

Blackstone Covered.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new grill arrived late yesterday during a down pour so didn't get to putting it together and seasoning until today. I also made a plywood top to flatten out the top of the grill and keep the cover off the oiled surface. What I did was use a piece of scrap 3/4 plywood and wrapped it with 1/2 trim to cover the plywood ends. I had handles from our old 60's rack stereo system that was tossed years ago and attached them to this top. Here it is before painting:

Blackstone with Wood Top.jpg

To keep the plywood from contacting the oiled surface of the grill, I installed T-nuts that held a carriage bolt and locking hex nut.....Four, in each corner....these standoffs work great.

Standoff Blackstone Top.jpg

This looks like it will work great....certainly better than the $160 top they wanted from Amazon!!! This one cost be a couple bucks in hardware.

And I still can't get over how this looks like a morgue gurney when the cover is on:

Blackstone Covered.jpg
Now that is what you call a cooks line. You can go out there a grill all day long for the neighborhood.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is what you call a cooks line. You can go out there a grill all day long for the neighborhood.

That's about what are parties are like....all three fired up and cooking a bit of everything. 40 - 70 people around that cement pond we have. Next party is labor day....Jeffery, we could use another cook!!! :eek:

Prepping right now for tonight's dinner.....carnivores are not going to be happy. More to come when I get this new guy fired up.....

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeffery, we could use another cook!!!

You know that would be fun, and nice a cool.

Prepping right now for tonight's dinner.....carnivores are not going to be happy. More to come when I get this new guy fired up.....
I need a good steak. You just reminded me, I have to make a call on some meats tomorrow.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, if you're a carnivore, STOP....do not go any further, you'll be disappointed in my FIRST choice on the new griddle grill. Please leave this thread NOW....not for carnivore eyes!

So I'm not a big red meat eater. Don't avoid it, but not crazy about it, like others typically are....a good T-Bone, as an example. My parents were meat and potato eaters...almost every night. I just never got the enjoyment out of red meat that most folks get.

Anyway, the first thing cooked on my new griddle grill were vegetables. A mix of yellow squash, onions, peppers, and green zucchini topped with Italian dressing. The first thing I noticed was a setting of half way between high and low was TOO high. Caramelizing was happening too fast. Turned it down to low, and all was good. If you're considering a griddle grill, please get the long flipping spatulas. The heat coming off will burn the hair off your knuckles. Not sure if I'll be able to attend the Cro-Magnon Man festival this year without hair on my knuckles.

BlackStone with Veggies.jpg

Very much liked how I could flip and move the veggies without loosing any below the deck. The old method was on grill pads where flipping was a challenge and I'd eventually loose some veggies into the grill.....old grill with pads:

Grilled Vegtables.JPG

I'm happier than a pig in mud!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, if you're a carnivore, STOP....do not go any further, you'll be disappointed in my FIRST choice on the new griddle grill. Please leave this thread NOW....not for carnivore eyes!

So I'm not a big red meat eater. Don't avoid it, but not crazy about it, like others typically are....a good T-Bone, as an example. My parents were meat and potato eaters...almost every night. I just never got the enjoyment out of red meat that most folks get.

Anyway, the first thing cooked on my new griddle grill were vegetables. A mix of yellow squash, onions, peppers, and green zucchini topped with Italian dressing. The first thing I noticed was a setting of half way between high and low was TOO high. Caramelizing was happening too fast. Turned it down to low, and all was good. If you're considering a griddle grill, please get the long flipping spatulas. The heat coming off will burn the hair off your knuckles. Not sure if I'll be able to attend the Cro-Magnon Man festival this year without hair on my knuckles.

BlackStone with Veggies.jpg

Very much liked how I could flip and move the veggies without loosing any below the deck. The old method was on grill pads where flipping was a challenge and I'd eventually loose some veggies into the grill.....old grill with pads:

Grilled Vegtables.JPG

I'm happier than a pig in mud!
Good choice...if accompanied by steak. :p

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice...if accompanied by steak. :p

Daniel, please stop by.....I have Filet mignon waiting just for you, seared medium rare!

Nice job seasoning the new griddle!

Thanks, for some reason I can't get the back corners to "blacken" up....get hot enough....smoke. For some reason, the left side worse than the right side....you can see it in the photo above. Might be that the propane tank is close to empty and not putting out it's full volume.

And to finish up....painted the wood cover and very happy with how this turned out. Virtually cost me nothing to keep the fabric cover off the oiled grill surface, and best yet, a flat surface for my wife to pile my stuff up....realize this first grill just outside our back door, the first "dump" point for my wife.

Blackstone top painted.jpg

The other thing I did was to add a clamp to hold an umbrella. I've been doing this for years because we grill year round...rain, snow, whatever weather. This is very simply done by attaching a 1 1/2 U-Bolt to one of the grills.....it fits umbrella posts.

Umbrella U Bolt 1.5.jpg

In years past, the common sizes of U-Bolts were a dime a dozen of "American" sizes.....1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 1 3/4, etc. The big problem this time around was finding an 1 1/2 U-Bolt. Lowe's had 1 3/8, but not 1 1/2. FYI, 1 3/8 is 35 mm, and can only guess that that is a common size in foreign countries. At HD, the regular steel was 1 3/8, but they had 1 1/2 in stainless. Can only guess that the 1 1/2 was made in the USA. So instead of less than 2 bucks, my 1 1/2 U-Bolt cost a little less than 5 bucks....there goes my budget! :rolleyes:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all I get , is to cook:D

Oh boy! Here come the demands from the hired help. OK, during your 15 minute break, you may have something to eat. Gee wiz, next thing you know you'll be demanding a 401(k) and additional vacation time. NOW, GET BACK TO WORK! :eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veggies on a grill are like red slime in my tank. I do not like!

Someone is not following my explicit instructions:

OK, if you're a carnivore, STOP....do not go any further........

For not listening, two demerits, and you're to go to your room until dinner time. And for dinner, I'm cooking you a Soy-Burger, and you're going to like it! o_O:p:D:cool:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy! Here come the demands from the hired help. OK, during your 15 minute break, you may have something to eat. Gee wiz, next thing you know you'll be demanding a 401(k) and additional vacation time. NOW, GET BACK TO WORK! :eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:
It a half hour up there for every 4 worked ;Hilarious since you mentioned benefits what about sick time and insurance??:p

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a plantavore here. I prefer my food to do the work for me and eat the plants before I eat them. lol ok that sounds really horrid. Anyways, I recall a family dinner in the WI dell's when I was 12 at a place called the Cheeze factory, which while looking through the menu I quickly became concerned that there was no meat on the menu, followed by me letting the world know I'm going to create a restaurant across the street called the meat zaria where everything on the menu caters to carnivores.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for some reason I can't get the back corners to "blacken" up....get hot enough....smoke. For some reason, the left side worse than the right side....you can see it in the photo above. Might be that the propane tank is close to empty and not putting out it's full volume.

Is the solution cooking more bacon on it? :p I've used my griddle a couple times per week, the poor pellet grill is feeling neglected. Ended up using a propane tank in less than a month.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not a stitch of meat:

Cheese Factory WI.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back