Sad news to report

  • Thread starter Thread starter kynan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kynan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
81
Location
Surfside Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3rd trip to belize barrier reef this year (and one to roatan). In may the reef was great. Now it's about half dead. Brain corals 9 feet across total toast. Hardy entrusting corals bleached white. Vase sponges splotched. Coraline algae from purple to grey. Less fish life. I have seen this reef stressed before but never affecting everything. Looks like coz is 50 percent dead too. They say its white band disease, I dont buy it. I say it's from the toxic sargassum blooms that have been horrible , and this is likely due to the metric tons of human waste going into our closed system oceans. Very depressing . Pray for the yucatan and belize.
 
Ugh, that is awful. I've dived in both places but quite some time ago. (? 20 yrs)

I do remember Roatan having insanely hot water and algae blooms even back then.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new