Sailfin stuck with urchin spin

  • Thread starter Thread starter DylanE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DylanE

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2018
Messages
443
Reaction score
695
Location
West coast
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed today my sailfin appears to have a small piece of urchin spine stuck in it’s “chest” area. I have a few long spine urchins that came in on liverock, and that’s the only thing I can think of that matches. The tang is acting normal. Should I leave it be and let it fall out? It’d be a nightmare to try and catch this guy.

IMG_8807.jpeg


IMG_8804.jpeg


IMG_8803.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I noticed today my sailfin appears to have a small piece of urchin spine stuck in it’s “chest” area. I have a few long spine urchins that came in on liverock, and that’s the only thing I can think of that matches. The tang is acting normal. Should I leave it be and let it fall out? It’d be a nightmare to try and catch this guy.

IMG_8807.jpeg


IMG_8804.jpeg


IMG_8803.jpeg

That’s sure what it looks like. Here’s my thought - leave it alone.

Catching it up risks stressing the fish and could even drive it in deeper. Then, removing it, if the has pierced the peritoneum, the resulting hole would be as bad or worse than leaving the spine in place.
 
That’s sure what it looks like. Here’s my thought - leave it alone.

Catching it up risks stressing the fish and could even drive it in deeper. Then, removing it, if the has pierced the peritoneum, the resulting hole would be as bad or worse than leaving the spine in place.

Thanks, Jay, that’s kinda what I was thinking. He’s certainly still being a jerk today so he must be feeling okay lol.
 
These long spine urchin spines are hollow, and brittle! — it’s quite likely to snap off in due time!

— just move slowly around these urchins, they can quickly become a 8-10” diameter razor sharp pincushion!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new