OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing that's been going on is I have my QT tank set up. It's boring so no need for pictures. I moved the HOB aquaclear filter from the main tank into it to get the cycle moving and dosed a little ammonia just to make sure it's processing.

I am planning the next additions now. I am going to start getting some coral for the tank. I have heard generally that people QT their coral for a few weeks to a month so I am going to get some soon. They can sit in the QT tank until the main display tank has settled down and gotten more stable. I expect the diatoms and other algaes to fade in the next few weeks and I want to be ready to add at that time. Here is what I'm thinking ....

I don't really have interest in soft corals for the most part and I don't want to start with them and have them take over the tank. I love zoanthids though, so I am going to start with something like a few polys to a small colony depending on what I find. I need to check out Healthy pet center to see what they have in stock because I would love to get something local. The other local store, Edie's Aquarium has a few really small pieces for a whole lot of money so I will probably avoid them. I did see a beautiful 3" piece of live rock with a dozen or so zoanthid polyps at Diver's Den's WYSIWYG but I'm not quite there yet and it was sold this weekend. I am going to make an island for the zoanthids so they don't spread around the tank. I really want to keep them isolated.

Aside from the zoanthid, I am going to start with hardy LPS corals. I will probably get a Duncan, some Favia and an Acan Lord. I have read that those are hardy and reasonably easy to care for. I plan to ask these questions on the larger forum and will backlink here. I really want a few gorgonians, but I am a bit nervous about those. Either way, I don't want to add too much at once, partially so I don't overload the tank and partially because I need to limit tank expenses every month. That said, I want to get a small reef established before I start adding too many fish.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, last thing I wanted to report for this update ... my SGReefLight had some troubles. Two of the bulbs are out and since then another has gone. The great news, contrary to what I've read, the customer service has been exceptional. I emailed Friday afternoon and sent a picture along so they could see what was going on. My Friday night, I'd gotten an email that a new one was going to be shipped. I still haven't gotten it but so far, my experience has been really positive. I'm a little bummed at sending the old light back because of the shipping charge, but that's not really abnormal, so ...

I will update when the whole transaction is done just to close the loop on the service thing,

DSC_0959_small.JPG

Here you can see it's one light out and one really dim. The one that is out was actually flickering and the dim one has since extinguished. Plus now, a third blue channel light is gone.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure they are. When I first got the light, I checked them all out just to make sure it started as working. I recall seeing light on each diode. When it started going out, the one on the backside was flickering when I jiggled the rheostat. Finally that one gave up the ghost. The next day it was the third one that isn't shown in the picture.

I wouldn't be as certain if not for the flickering thing. That is what sold it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure they are. When I first got the light, I checked them all out just to make sure it started as working. I recall seeing light on each diode. When it started going out, the one on the backside was flickering when I jiggled the rheostat. Finally that one gave up the ghost. The next day it was the third one that isn't shown in the picture.

I wouldn't be as certain if not for the flickering thing. That is what sold it.

Right. That would seem obvious. Good luck!

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! At first I was a little freaked because of some of the stories I'd read about unanswered email, etc. He was fast to answer back this time, so I'm hopeful!

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Game on ... I got 2 small pieces of coral yesterday. I wanted to get something to test out the tank and see how ready it was. I got a small piece of Leptastrea and a smallish Zoanthid. Sadly my picture taking ability stinks. They really don't look nearly as good as they do in the tank.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_1075_small.JPG

This one looks close to real. I have no idea though where to put it. Right now it's just sitting there until I decide. I am considering on one of the front faces.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_1073_small.JPG

This one is much reddish brown around the outer area and a vibrant orange in the center, especially under the blue lights. It really popped open today and seems pretty happy. I am going to put it on the live rock right next to it. It has a long stem on the plug though that I need to cut off first. Probably get to it this weekend.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, was looking for some advice about using JB Water Weld to mount frags to my rocks. It seems reasonable since people use it for aquascape .... either way, figured I would ask here....

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-50g-cube.409412/page-3#post-5282580

I plan to mount the zoantid to the front rock this way since it seems happy where it is ( and I really want it to sit there too, so BONUS! :) )

I don't really need much, if any, adhesion, but figured keeping the coral stable would keep it happy. I sure know that everytime I move it, it closes up and grumbles for a while before opening again!

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been entirely too long since I've posted an update. Lots of things are happening but I've barely had the time to just pay attention to the tank and maybe some time with the family too :cool:

On about 10/23 I stopped by the Healthy Pet Center on the day they were having 50% off Acans. Good luck for me since I didn't know it at the time. I picked up 2 small pieces.

A micromussa.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from that last picture, I've gotten much deeper into the uglies. That GHA is growing pretty wildly. It's funny though, it seems to grow in these little tufts, not sure if that's common. I found it odd.

Here is shot of it growing on the sand the same way.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That started about 2 weeks ago, but as of today, it looks like it's starting to pass. I haven't really done anything to control it except a few water changes and taking a toothbrush to the rock just to minimize it. Mostly I did that just so my wife didn't walk by, shake her head and mutter, "what the heck is he doing now, ugliest thing I've seen yet!"

Anyway, it seems to be backing off on its own, as I was hoping. It's leaving behind a more green dust that looks a bit like a green version of the diatoms. I also see pink and purple spot starting to form on some of the rocks, which I'm hoping is corraline starting to spread.

DSC_1114_small.JPG

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing that happened..while brushing algae off the rock work, a few pieces showed how unstable they were and fell apart. Sadly it happened after a few beers and right as the lights were going out .. I scrambled to put it back the way it was, but that wasn't happening. I figured something out that I might like better, still not sure.

My camera battery just died so I will have to upload a full tank shot later.

OP
OP
stAlphonzo

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny final closing thought for the day. It amazes me how much time seems to stand still with this tank. I feel like this green algae has been taking over for a long time, several weeks at least. When I look back at the photos and my logs, it's really been about a week from the time it really took off until today, when it first starting receding.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that pick and purple is def corraline starting up. on your way. Also, some of your pics are loading in. I rec imgur as a hosting site. very good at what it does.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back