Salifert Alk Titration

ReefHunter006

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Messages
754
Reaction score
411
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple shades of pink. Where in this video would you pick the stopping point?

 
According to the instructions it's the moment it turns a redish or pink color but that's not important. What's important is you pick a point and stick to it so you're measuring variance in alk day to day rather than worrying about the exact number which is irrelevant as long as it's near an acceptable range.

I.e. I choose to go until it's solid pink and that way I know every time I test I'm as accurate as possible with measuring consumption, not worried about the actual number.
 
There is a video around showing the exact color, but if you have a pH meter, you can determine it that way once, and then pick the color for future uses. The pH endpoint is in the 4.5 range.
 
According to the instructions it's the moment it turns a redish or pink color but that's not important. What's important is you pick a point and stick to it so you're measuring variance in alk day to day rather than worrying about the exact number which is irrelevant as long as it's near an acceptable range.

I.e. I choose to go until it's solid pink and that way I know every time I test I'm as accurate as possible with measuring consumption, not worried about the actual number.
I get that, however hanna reads 8.2, trident reads 9.3, salifert reads 8.8 ish based on my arbitrary stopping point and if I pick first area of solid dark thenI read 8.4, but it I go to solid light pink I am 9+. I would really like to understand if it agrees with hanna or the trident more
 
I get that, however hanna reads 8.2, trident reads 9.3, salifert reads 8.8 ish based on my arbitrary stopping point and if I pick first area of solid dark thenI read 8.4, but it I go to solid light pink I am 9+. I would really like to understand if it agrees with hanna or the trident more

I'm not familiar with Trident but I hear Hanna testers leave a lot to be desired in reliability other than their phosphate and copper testers. Salifert Alk tests are my favorite and same for most hobbyists so I would trust it the most. If you really want to nail down a number and if I interpret the instructions correctly it's the first time you see a solid pink color where any more drops no longer change the shade.
 
I mean this respectfully and have zero intentions of any response coming across in a rude manner. I appreciate the attempts to respond.

The question I asked and looking to have answered is a general consensus on when in the video would you pick as the stopping point or the reading point for the titration. 30sec 45sec etc.

I have read the other forum posts about PH meters and the diy kits, searched the forums etc. which is why I decided to post the question with a video. The other posts highlighted its easy to over shoot with the alk titration. I would prefer to utilise the kits I have without spending anymore money. I am not looking for a PH meter, or to reread the instructions that don't handle this issue of varying shades of pink. There is dark pink and light pink and shades in-between. There is 1.2dkh difference between the two extremes and three test kits providing very different trending answers.

Thank you and no intentions of coming across poorly, just trying to realign to my question.

Thank you to everyone that has responded.
 
Last edited:
I mean this respectfully and have zero intentions of any response coming across in a rude manner. I appreciate the attempts to respond.

The question I asked and looking to have answered is a general consensus on when in the video would you pick as the stopping point or the reading point for the titration. 30sec 45sec etc.

I have read the other forum posts about PH meters and the diy kits, searched the forums etc. which is why I decided to post the question with a video. The other posts highlighted its easy to over shoot with the alk titration. I would prefer to utilise the kits I have without spending anymore money. I am not looking for a PH meter, or to reread the instructions that don't handle this issue of varying shades of pink. There is dark pink and light pink and shades in-between. There is 1.2dkh difference between the two extremes and three test kits providing very different trending answers.

Thank you and no intentions of coming across poorly, just trying to realign to my question.

Thank you to everyone that has responded.
I think you misunderstood my point entirely. If you do not have a pH meter then I was not suggesting you buy one. But if you already had one, as many reefers do, then using it once is BY FAR the best way for you to see in person the exact color of the Salifert endpoint in your room lighting.
 
The person that engineered the kit has a thread somewhere that shows the exact endpoint of a color chart that you can print. I can’t find it but it’s at the first point of purple. 6-7 second mark in your video.
 
The person that engineered the kit has a thread somewhere that shows the exact endpoint of a color chart that you can print. I can’t find it but it’s at the first point of purple. 6-7 second mark in your video.

Habib (Salifert owner) may have a thread somewhere, but if you mean the thread linked above, Jim did not invent the kit, he just evaluated it using pH. :)
 
Habib (Salifert owner) may have a thread somewhere, but if you mean the thread linked above, Jim did not invent the kit, he just evaluated it using pH. :)
Yes it was Habib. I think it was on RC like 10 years ago but could be wrong.

Ahh ok so I was blending the 2 together. Habib did a video ages ago but Jim had the color scale shared above.
 
I think you misunderstood my point entirely. If you do not have a pH meter then I was not suggesting you buy one. But if you already had one, as many reefers do, then using it once is BY FAR the best way for you to see in person the exact color of the Salifert endpoint in your room lighting.
Totaly get that and fair assumption, I was just trying to realign. No intention to come across rude and as always really appreciate the effort you put I to helping people.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new