- Joined
- Apr 27, 2020
- Messages
- 754
- Reaction score
- 411
- What state or country do you live in
- California
There are multiple shades of pink. Where in this video would you pick the stopping point?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I get that, however hanna reads 8.2, trident reads 9.3, salifert reads 8.8 ish based on my arbitrary stopping point and if I pick first area of solid dark thenI read 8.4, but it I go to solid light pink I am 9+. I would really like to understand if it agrees with hanna or the trident moreAccording to the instructions it's the moment it turns a redish or pink color but that's not important. What's important is you pick a point and stick to it so you're measuring variance in alk day to day rather than worrying about the exact number which is irrelevant as long as it's near an acceptable range.
I.e. I choose to go until it's solid pink and that way I know every time I test I'm as accurate as possible with measuring consumption, not worried about the actual number.
I get that, however hanna reads 8.2, trident reads 9.3, salifert reads 8.8 ish based on my arbitrary stopping point and if I pick first area of solid dark thenI read 8.4, but it I go to solid light pink I am 9+. I would really like to understand if it agrees with hanna or the trident more
Thank you for the link. That answer shows my trident way out of wack. Glad I wont be making any adjustments based on it.https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...-salifert-endpoint-color.543556/#post-5607886
It will depend on what pH you choose as the endpoint. The lavender color at 6 sec in your video corresponds to about 4.5, and the color at 10 sec will be closer to 4.2
I think you misunderstood my point entirely. If you do not have a pH meter then I was not suggesting you buy one. But if you already had one, as many reefers do, then using it once is BY FAR the best way for you to see in person the exact color of the Salifert endpoint in your room lighting.I mean this respectfully and have zero intentions of any response coming across in a rude manner. I appreciate the attempts to respond.
The question I asked and looking to have answered is a general consensus on when in the video would you pick as the stopping point or the reading point for the titration. 30sec 45sec etc.
I have read the other forum posts about PH meters and the diy kits, searched the forums etc. which is why I decided to post the question with a video. The other posts highlighted its easy to over shoot with the alk titration. I would prefer to utilise the kits I have without spending anymore money. I am not looking for a PH meter, or to reread the instructions that don't handle this issue of varying shades of pink. There is dark pink and light pink and shades in-between. There is 1.2dkh difference between the two extremes and three test kits providing very different trending answers.
Thank you and no intentions of coming across poorly, just trying to realign to my question.
Thank you to everyone that has responded.
The person that engineered the kit has a thread somewhere that shows the exact endpoint of a color chart that you can print. I can’t find it but it’s at the first point of purple. 6-7 second mark in your video.
Yes it was Habib. I think it was on RC like 10 years ago but could be wrong.Habib (Salifert owner) may have a thread somewhere, but if you mean the thread linked above, Jim did not invent the kit, he just evaluated it using pH. :)
Yes it was Habib. I think it was on RC like 10 years ago but could be wrong.
Totaly get that and fair assumption, I was just trying to realign. No intention to come across rude and as always really appreciate the effort you put I to helping people.I think you misunderstood my point entirely. If you do not have a pH meter then I was not suggesting you buy one. But if you already had one, as many reefers do, then using it once is BY FAR the best way for you to see in person the exact color of the Salifert endpoint in your room lighting.