Salinity adjustment

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I just came back from the LFS with two new fish. but the store had a salinity of 1.022 and my QT and displays are 1.026. so the question is this: how quickly can I bring the salinity up?

The fish are a citron goby and splendid wrasse.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to acclimate? (I use an AccuDrip which makes things easy) I would just do it slowly over the course of 35-40 minutes.
1/4 to half a cup every 10-20 minutes. I've heard that bringing it up too quickly can be too shocking for the fish; hence the question.
edit: the thread because of the deltec giveaway.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 to 2 hours should be ok. I float the bag for 20 minutes. Dump fish and 700ml fish water in a floating plastic 1 quart, add 20% tank water. Every 20 minutes remove 20% then add another 20% tank water. Until the fish is in water within 0.001 sg. Ie if fish water is 1.025 and tank is 1,026, add fish to tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 to half a cup every 10-20 minutes. I've heard that bringing it up too quickly can be too shocking for the fish; hence the question.
If you're planning to get more fish snag one of these. Totally worth the $10.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning to get more fish snag one of these. Totally worth the $10.

I've seen that. That would definitely be worth it. And I'm sure more are coming.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that. That would definitely be worth it. And I'm sure more are coming.
I kind of eyeball mine. I use a 1-gallon white container, fill it roughly half full of the water the fish came with, set it up to drip 2-3 drops every second and then let it run for 35-40 minutes or until the container gets full. If you have a small preset heater you can drop in I recommend that as well.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the benefits of having a QT tank, you can just lower the salinity to match the bag, then drop the fish right in, no acclimation required. As the QT evaporates, top off with saltwater until you get to your desired salinity.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of eyeball mine. I use a 1-gallon white container, fill it roughly half full of the water the fish came with, set it up to drip 2-3 drops every second and then let it run for 35-40 minutes or until the container gets full. If you have a small preset heater you can drop in I recommend that as well.
They're in now, wrasse as hiding this morning and I couldn't find the goby, but there are plenty of hides for it, it was dark and it's kinda hard to see everywhere in the tank.
1.022 to 1.026 I would just plop and drop. Never had an issue with fish in that range.

If it was 1.020, or below I would drip for a half hour to an hour to adjust.
Thanks. This is about the first time I have paid attention to the salinity of store water in qt. Thanks Icecap salinity probe.
This is one of the benefits of having a QT tank, you can just lower the salinity to match the bag, then drop the fish right in, no acclimation required. As the QT evaporates, top off with saltwater until you get to your desired salinity.
Not really an option, there was already a fish in there. I probably could have split the difference though, dropping it one point of so.

Thanks for the feedback. the fish are in. Copper starts Wednesday or Thursday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back