SALINITY QUESTION

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plan. FISH ONLY TANKS. I have been keeping Marine Fish for about 3 years. I have constantly had problems with Ich. I tried TTM, Modified TTM, copper, quarantine, you name it. I run several tanks, all over 180 gallons. No matter what I have tried, there are problems with all of them. Fish deaths with all of them. On the other hand, I have three stable tanks where all fish are occupants for at least 14 months, no deaths ever. However, these are all fish that went through one of the above processes and survived; BUT TWICE AS MANY DIED ALONG THE WAY, ALMOST ALL OF THEM ION THE FIRST MONTH OR LESS. As we all know, when you buy marine fish you MUST assume that at least they probably have some stage of ich. It is endemic to the industry now. Here is my plan: I am about to set up a 360 (16x32x23 interior inches), plus a 160 sump. Total about 520 USG. I have made a deal with my LFS to let me rent one of his large display tanks. Over the course of no more than 30 days I will choose fish he imports and each will be placed in that tank AT VERY LOW SALINITY. ONLY MY FISH. Then BEFORE I TAKE THE FISH they will remain at the lowest tolerable level for survival for 90 days, and then I will bring it up over a two week period (or so, depending on raise). Then all surviving fish will be transferred together, and no further fish will be added for the foreseeable future.
HERE IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: What is the LOWEST POSSIBLE salinity I can lower it to without killing the fish during that 90 day period?
He has a client who claims he has run his 350 tank at 1.008 for years with "great success", whatever that means to him. When my friend (the LFS owner) performs maintenance for him he adds 1.008 water, and has been for several years.
This would indicate that 1.008 will work. HOWEVER, no matter how much I believe and trust the LFS friend, I cannot help putting this question out there before I do it.
All opinions will be appreciated, but PLEASE CONFINE YOUR ANSWERS TO THE DIRECT QUESTION. I AM NOT ASKING FOR ALTERNATIVES. Treatments that may come up regarding non-ich problems will be treated accordingly. ALTHOUGH HYPO WILL FIX OTHER PROBLEMS, THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION IS IN REGARD TO ICH HYPO ONLY. Thank you all very much in advance.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a plan. FISH ONLY TANKS. I have been keeping Marine Fish for about 3 years. I have constantly had problems with Ich. I tried TTM, Modified TTM, copper, quarantine, you name it. I run several tanks, all over 180 gallons. No matter what I have tried, there are problems with all of them. Fish deaths with all of them. On the other hand, I have three stable tanks where all fish are occupants for at least 14 months, no deaths ever. However, these are all fish that went through one of the above processes and survived; BUT TWICE AS MANY DIED ALONG THE WAY, ALMOST ALL OF THEM ION THE FIRST MONTH OR LESS. As we all know, when you buy marine fish you MUST assume that at least they probably have some stage of ich. It is endemic to the industry now. Here is my plan: I am about to set up a 360 (16x32x23 interior inches), plus a 160 sump. Total about 520 USG. I have made a deal with my LFS to let me rent one of his large display tanks. Over the course of no more than 30 days I will choose fish he imports and each will be placed in that tank AT VERY LOW SALINITY. ONLY MY FISH. Then BEFORE I TAKE THE FISH they will remain at the lowest tolerable level for survival for 90 days, and then I will bring it up over a two week period (or so, depending on raise). Then all surviving fish will be transferred together, and no further fish will be added for the foreseeable future.
HERE IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: What is the LOWEST POSSIBLE salinity I can lower it to without killing the fish during that 90 day period?
He has a client who claims he has run his 350 tank at 1.008 for years with "great success", whatever that means to him. When my friend (the LFS owner) performs maintenance for him he adds 1.008 water, and has been for several years.
This would indicate that 1.008 will work. HOWEVER, no matter how much I believe and trust the LFS friend, I cannot help putting this question out there before I do it.
All opinions will be appreciated, but PLEASE CONFINE YOUR ANSWERS TO THE DIRECT QUESTION. I AM NOT ASKING FOR ALTERNATIVES. Treatments that may come up regarding non-ich problems will be treated accordingly. ALTHOUGH HYPO WILL FIX OTHER PROBLEMS, THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION IS IN REGARD TO ICH HYPO ONLY. Thank you all very much in advance.
You’re talking hypo salinity which can be as low as 1.009. I would not do it long term but for quarantine purposes, should work

OP
OP
E

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. What are the classic signs of stress from low salinity? I was thinking of 1.010, and is that well below the ich barrier, if you know
? I don't want to go too much below that.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back