Salt Creep

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the triton method, you remove the need for water changes. How does triton account for the loss of salinity from salt creep? I don't have alot of salt creep on my tank, but I have seen tanks that get a considerable amount. Are you suppose to put the salt back in the tank or is it replenished another way?

Thank you.

Crabs

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say we have ever had it as an issue.

When you are adding the solutions and if say you were running without a skimmer or removing tank water you would find that your salinity would rise. We counter act this by using a skimmer and producing a wet skimmate, or by removing an amount of tank water based of this calculator (99% of times the skimmer is enough). So you could easily manage salinity decreases by producing a drier skimmate.

I would say though you would have to be losing a heck of a lot of salt via creep for this to be a concern.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say we have ever had it as an issue.

When you are adding the solutions and if say you were running without a skimmer or removing tank water you would find that your salinity would rise. We counter act this by using a skimmer and producing a wet skimmate, or by removing an amount of tank water based of this calculator (99% of times the skimmer is enough). So you could easily manage salinity decreases by producing a drier skimmate.

I would say though you would have to be losing a heck of a lot of salt via creep for this to be a concern.
Thank you Tim for the response! Just something I was thinking about last night working on my tank and wiping away some of the creep :) My mind tends to wonder when i'm working on the tank :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back