Salt mix and ph

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will most reef salt mixes get me a ph over 8.1? I'm currently using instant ocean sea salt the purple bag and constantly have ph at 8.0 and i feel like i shouldnt have to be dosing buffer if im doing 15% water changes weekly. is my problem that i havent been using the reef crystals or other reef salt mixes or is there more to it than that?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dose anything. Simply stop breathing! :eek: Carbon Dioxide acidifies the water, lowering the pH. Anything you add to raise the pH will also raise the alkalinity. As the saying goes, don't chase pH. And a pH of 8.0. is just fine. When we use to have people over (pre virus), the people breathing would drive my pH to 7.8 or so....and all was fine.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dose anything. Simply stop breathing! :eek: Carbon Dioxide acidifies the water, lowering the pH. Anything you add to raise the pH will also raise the alkalinity. As the saying goes, don't chase pH. And a pH of 8.0. is just fine. When we use to have people over (pre virus), the people breathing would drive my pH to 7.8 or so....and all was fine.
what salt do you use? should i at least switch to reef crystals for extra mag and Ca?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt do you use? should i at least switch to reef crystals for extra mag and Ca?
Salt mix is like asking a favorite ice cream flavor. I use coral pro and love it. Everyone has their own preferences though

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the purple box Instant Ocean. It's a salt that perfectly works for me. As far as my opinion on salt, it's like sauce (or as some would say, gravy)....it's more a personal preference. I don't think any one salt is "better" than any other salt. I don't know what changing to Reef Crystals would do for you, short of it now being your favorite sauce. :eek: I didn't like it because water changes caused for too high a swing in alk.....I'm a low alk user....and I don't remember, but RC was up there...12-13 or so. I do my water changes and maintain alk and calc by dosing.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the purple box Instant Ocean. It's a salt that perfectly works for me. As far as my opinion on salt, it's like sauce (or as some would say, gravy)....it's more a personal preference. I don't think any one salt is "better" than any other salt. I don't know what changing to Reef Crystals would do for you, short of it now being your favorite sauce. :eek: I didn't like it because water changes caused for too high a swing in alk.....I'm a low alk user....and I don't remember, but RC was up there...12-13 or so. I do my water changes and maintain alk and calc by dosing.
thats exactly what ive been having to do, i dose 10 ml Ca and 5ml alk to get my alk between 9-10 and ph at 8.4 but it drops before my next weekly water change and alk stays the same, so im just confused at this point

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose daily, if not more frequently. I dose three times a day.....well, I don't do it, my automated pumps do it. :cool:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral pro and IO are both hjgh alk

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled these alc, calc and mag numbers for popular salts from HERE:

Al Calc of Various Salts.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back