Salt mix suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter reef4beer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reef4beer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
704
Reaction score
149
Location
Cutler Bay, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally purchased my RO/DI and want to start making some saltwater.

Any suggestions on salt mix to try? Currently have a mixed reef with chalices, polyps, and some other lps.

Friend of mine suggested using red sea coral pro but wanted some 2 cents from everyone.
 
There's no best mix. Every mix has pros and cons, and if you know them you can make it work well.

FWIW, I use regular Instant Ocean for a variety of reasons.
 
i use sachem reef salt mixes to my preferred alk at 9dkh
 
Hi.... I use instant ocean and I am thinking of changing. I have been battling brown algae or diatoms in my tank for about a year. I googled it and I read on a forum (I cant recall which one) that the member was using salt mix and when he switch his problem went away. does anyone have any suggestions or think this might work? also Randy do you add to the tank extra items that instant ocean does not have? I was thinking it might have too much silicates. thanks
 
Hi.... I use instant ocean and I am thinking of changing. I have been battling brown algae or diatoms in my tank for about a year. I googled it and I read on a forum (I cant recall which one) that the member was using salt mix and when he switch his problem went away. does anyone have any suggestions or think this might work? also Randy do you add to the tank extra items that instant ocean does not have? I was thinking it might have too much silicates. thanks

I don't think salt mixes are responsible for algae or diatoms unless the tank is deficient in a trace metal that the salt mix provides.

FWIW, there isn't much in RC that is not in IO that I'd actually want (RC has vitamins, IO does not). There are plenty of trace elements in IO. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new