Salt mixing station with brute cans

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there guys new to reefing here, I had a question about setting up a saltwater mixing station, I have a 5-stage RODI and 2 brute cans.. what equipment do you recommend using to mix the RODI to make saltwater? What connectors and valves do you use with the brute cans?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
for mixing it you can use the external pump that connects the two brutes. I'll find some pics and show you. Welcome to R2R.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as what Deezill said. I have an external pump that i can use to transfer the rodi to the salt bin, mix the salt and tranfer either rodi or salt to the ATO or Sump for water changes. I also have a manual valve for each to drain.
20201109_194249.jpg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photos, I'm looking for a basic way to create a 3-way valve between the 2 brute cans. Any recommendations on pvc fittings I'll need?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the one I built. Maybe some ideas

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use Brute trash cans, but I showed a picture to maybe help you figure out what you need to attach the Brute cans and make it work. Just look at the plumbing. It all depends on what you want it to do. :)

4D36102D-D912-44A2-9022-B7C1DFAE580A.jpeg

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing, valves, etc will be somewhat dependent on your setup and space. Here is another example based on the station we just built. Two (2) 65g containers, 10" filter, Blue Line AC pump. In our scenario, gravity feeds the mixing tank on the bottom. The pump is managed by our Apex and mixes 10min every 6hrs to make sure the auto water changes are consistent. The mixing tank pump is interlocked with a switch in the container to turn off the pump if the level gets too low. The bulk water tank on top has a float and safety switch tied to the Apex.

Draw out your system. Make sure you include unions and/or union valves and the ability to isolate the pump if you need to do maintenance while the reservoir is full.
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_9442.JPG

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use Brute trash cans, but I showed a picture to maybe help you figure out what you need to attach the Brute cans and make it work. Just look at the plumbing. It all depends on what you want it to do. :)

4D36102D-D912-44A2-9022-B7C1DFAE580A.jpeg
Nice setup! I'm curious if you ever clean the pvc? I've had my brute trash can stack running for 2 years now, and have noticed a thick layer of brown gunk buildup in the pvc, which I think is leeching phosphate into my water. What are your thoughts on the leeching? And if you are cleaning your pvc, how are you cleaning and how often? Thanks for your help!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I'm curious if you ever clean the pvc? I've had my brute trash can stack running for 2 years now, and have noticed a thick layer of brown gunk buildup in the pvc, which I think is leeching phosphate into my water. What are your thoughts on the leeching? And if you are cleaning your pvc, how are you cleaning and how often? Thanks for your help!
Thank you, I just set it up not to long ago, so I haven’t had to clean anything yet. In all likelihood I will tear down and clean the station yearly, unless needed sooner. I will try to find a brush that I can shove down the 1 in pvc to clean it out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever seen this thread?

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The plumbing, valves, etc will be somewhat dependent on your setup and space. Here is another example based on the station we just built. Two (2) 65g containers, 10" filter, Blue Line AC pump. In our scenario, gravity feeds the mixing tank on the bottom. The pump is managed by our Apex and mixes 10min every 6hrs to make sure the auto water changes are consistent. The mixing tank pump is interlocked with a switch in the container to turn off the pump if the level gets too low. The bulk water tank on top has a float and safety switch tied to the Apex.

Draw out your system. Make sure you include unions and/or union valves and the ability to isolate the pump if you need to do maintenance while the reservoir is full.
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_9442.JPG
Do you have a link for these tanks? This is exactly what I am looking for. Very nice build!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back