Salt Question

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got thinking about something today.. kind of dangerous for me to do something like that.

So does salt go bad over time? I started off at a 1.024 SG in my tank after the last water change (3 days ago). Today it is reading a 1.022 and a half. I am using the instant ocean reef crystal.
My ATO ran as a top off, but nothing more then normal. It barely used any RODI water.
My skimmer barley produced anything worth mentioning (less than 5ml)

Now what got me really thinking about this is that I used the salt I had stashed away from my last tank 3 years ago. It was still sealed in the plastic bag, all powdery like the day it was bought (no lumps or anything)

I also found after mixing a new batch of saltwater that I have un-mixed salt laying in the bottom of my bucket. (Not much, just a dusting)

So can salt actually decline over time?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I would think it has degraded in some way. I'd mix some in rodi & run the normal tests on it. Alk, Ca ,Mg . I'd think once it's mixed Nutrient tests No3 ,Po4 wold not be accurate. Interesting topic, let's hear what others say . what are nutrients in the tank?

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have been testing everyday at about the same time of day. I know the tanks water parameters will fluctuate.

Ammonia - .2 (red Sea )
Nitrate - O (API)
Nitrite - O (API)
PH - 8 (API)
Phosphate - .10 (red Sea )
Alk - 10 dkh (red Sea) if reading it right

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is your ATO is probably adding too much water. Salt won’t degrade that fast. I struggle to keep salinity lower because of evaporation. I’d also try testing Ca, Mg and alk.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is your ATO is probably adding too much water. Salt won’t degrade that fast. I struggle to keep salinity lower because of evaporation. I’d also try testing Ca, Mg and alk.
That would mean I have more water In my sump then I should. The float value would be under water and not put any RODI water in until it is turned on.

Since salt does evaporate and only water does, this does not make sense. The tank is still new, so I do not have salt creep yet either.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would say to me you have a leak somewhere. But you said you aren't using hardly any topoff correct?

I would still look for a leak.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would say to me you have a leak somewhere. But you said you aren't using hardly any topoff correct?

I would still look for a leak.
Correct.. slim to no top off. Slim to no skimate from the skimmer.
I inspected the heck out of the tank and the sump, there is no leak that I can see or water damage to the wood.

I did however throw this question to instant ocean's email people.. would love to see what they come back with.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a calibrated refractometer?

Also see if you can find someone local with one to double check.

I tried using one of the plastic dip in the water and read what it says. I also have a refractometer and it is calibrated using the liquid calibration fluid.

I will see if one of our local reefers can come over and see what their testing equipment says.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. got an email back from instant ocean.. their suggestion was to shake the bag and mix it up and try again...

Why does this sound just a BS leave us alone answer?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. got an email back from instant ocean.. their suggestion was to shake the bag and mix it up and try again...

Why does this sound just a crap leave us alone answer?
Not necessarily. It's been mentioned in the past about their salt settling out and the solution was to roll the bucket around to mix it all back up.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. It's been mentioned in the past about their salt settling out and the solution was to roll the bucket around to mix it all back up.
That's good to know, but I'm not letting the saltwater sit around for weeks before use. I'm using it within 48 hours of mixing it, and I have a circulation pump running the whole time.
I made up a batch this morning before heading to work. Not sure what the level is yet, but should be close to what I'm looking for. Just for fun I'll test it and put the SG where I want it to be. I'll give it a day with the pump and see where it is at..
Should be a tad higher due to water evap and salt does not.
I will then give it two days without a circ pump, covered top test it again.

I got a full box of salt coming in the next two days, so I should be good with just waisting a bit.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shake or roll the bucket. I do this all the time to make sure all is mixed.

If this is new water and its not heated the colder water would read higher than warmer water.

Also how is the salt creep. If you have a lot of salt creep that may lower you salinity.

I would also suggest a second measuring device from a local reefer.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shake or roll the bucket. I do this all the time to make sure all is mixed.

If this is new water and its not heated the colder water would read higher than warmer water.

Also how is the salt creep. If you have a lot of salt creep that may lower you salinity.

I would also suggest a second measuring device from a local reefer.
I always mix my salt with a heater to the same temp as the tank, zero salt creep due to the tank only being 2 weeks old, it's all brand new water I am mixing and testing. Less then 48 hours old.

My situation is being passed up the chain at instant ocean from what I hear. This could get fun. I even told them I will send the salt I ha e on hand for their testing.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. testing day two.
Started at 1.024 - 30 min after mixing(4/26/19)
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Alk 10.9
Phosphate 0

Has been in a covered 5 gal bucket, has had a heater in it. Being mixed with a power head.

Today: (4/27/19)
SG 1.022
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Alk 10
Phosphate .10

Had minor evap from the bucket. Water line is near the electrical tape I set it at.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. update, sorry it's been busy.. tank is taking a dive because of this and I'm work on trying to keep it all alive.

The tanks SG dropped to between 1.019 and 1.020 @ 4am Saturday morning.. I quickly started a nother batch at 1.028... better to add and slowly raise over time then to drop a large water change in all at once...

Ok... Since early sat morning I have been topping off with saltwater then DI water from my ATO.. I am now up to a 1.022 and a half.

I called instant ocean three times.. twice I got hung up on, and today I actually had someone say they will find a better person for me to talk to and they will call me back..

I should have a new batch of salt arriving at my house by the time I get home from work..

So what if it is inorganic and will not break down... I will not keep salt for more then a year anymore.
I did not have a problem with the batch when I bought it, just after storage.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are measuring 30 minutes after mixing, but you mention a heater in the bucket. If I am interpreting the chart found here correctly, specific gravity of water will decrease as temperature increases. I'd bump to three measurements: one when mixed, one the next day after temperature hits the heater set point, and another day or two after that to see if the temperature change is the issue.

f8f07242da07d6b29bc79169fafbb8087aeecc15_large.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back