Salt without the extra stuff?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Does anyone know of a brand of salt that is literally JUST salt without the extra stuff like Alk Mg and Cal?

The reason I ask is because 2 months ago i got a trident and my levels have always been really high for some reason which I thought was weird, I use the fritz pro blue box of salt. Anyhow last night I did a water change of 20 gallons on my 125 gallon total water volume system and my Mg went from 1400 to 1600 my calcium went from 450 to 600 and my alk went up like .7

The only thing I can think of is my tap water is just loaded with these elements. Which I guess is good and bad. Good because it means once my system has way more coral itll be less money to buy those chemicals. Bad because I dont know if there is any salt that is literally purely salt without the additives.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what you mean by pure salt. You mean matching seawater? Certainly, you would NOT want pure sodium chloride.

Seawater has a ton of magnesium, calcium, alkalinity, potassium, and dozens of other necessary ions.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had your tap water tested? Anything else is just a guess. What else might be in it? I won't go into the whole tap vs rodi debate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Does anyone know of a brand of salt that is literally JUST salt without the extra stuff like Alk Mg and Cal?

The reason I ask is because 2 months ago i got a trident and my levels have always been really high for some reason which I thought was weird, I use the fritz pro blue box of salt. Anyhow last night I did a water change of 20 gallons on my 125 gallon total water volume system and my Mg went from 1400 to 1600 my calcium went from 450 to 600 and my alk went up like .7

The only thing I can think of is my tap water is just loaded with these elements. Which I guess is good and bad. Good because it means once my system has way more coral itll be less money to buy those chemicals. Bad because I dont know if there is any salt that is literally purely salt without the additives.

Thanks

While I am not advising tap water for other reasons, it DEFINITELY did not cause the calcium rise (150 ppm) or the magnesium rise (200 ppm) by doing a 16% water change.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had your tap water tested? Anything else is just a guess. What else might be in it? I won't go into the whole tap vs rodi debate.
I know the argument trust me and tbh I would go with pure RODI if there was it could filter 100 percent of the water. The issue for me is that it goes 90% dirty water and 10% is the filtered at least with the rodi unit I got so the waste water cost is unimaginable

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

my Mg went from 1400 to 1600 my calcium went from 450 to 600 and my alk went up like .7

Thanks

That would mean the MG of your waterchange water was 2600 and the calcium was 1300

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am not advising tap water for other reasons, it DEFINITELY did not cause the calcium rise (150 ppm) or the magnesium rise (200 ppm) by doing a 16% water change.
What are the other reasons? I've had nothing but success from it tbh I mean until it looked like the levels in it were out of wack. Corals don't seem to mind. My Slimer and stylo are growing like crazy

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other reasons? I've had nothing but success from it tbh I mean until it looked like the levels in it were out of wack. Corals don't seem to mind. My Slimer and stylo are growing like crazy

Copper is the big one (IMO), from your own pipes. Silicate is another.

It can be fine. And it can be a disaster.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the argument trust me and tbh I would go with pure RODI if there was it could filter 100 percent of the water. The issue for me is that it goes 90% dirty water and 10% is the filtered at least with the rodi unit I got so the waste water cost is unimaginable

Most standard RODI units run 4:1 ratio. You must have extermelly expensive water where you live.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back