Saltwater not mixing

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently setup a nano reef tank after years of interest and being freshwater. Earlier today I made 25 litres of RO water and added a heater and pump ready to use for a water change. I added 1kg of h2ocean salt following the instructions, I came back an hour later to check the level and it is only reading 1.007, I normally use a kilo to make my water 1.025. Is there anything obvious that will cause such low salinity levels? I am using a new bucket of salt that I mixed before using
Thanks

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salts take way more than an hour
while I agree that salt can take more than an hour to fully mix, if he’s using the proper amount of salt with a heater and a pump, it should be reading way higher than that by now. I suspect either your refractometer or whatever scale you’re using to weigh the salt is incorrect. Any chance your scale is set to lbs?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1kg of salt into that volume of water is about right. Even if it's not fully mixed, it should be a lot higher than 1.007. A few things I can think. It sounds like you added salt to water, and not water to salt so it wouldn't be that.

-testing error. Clean all your droppers and refractometer with RODI, flush with water to be tested, dry them off and test again.
-Did you dump the whole pile of salt at once or shake it in slowly? Any chance it's all in the bottom in a lump?

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1kg of salt into that volume of water is about right. Even if it's not fully mixed, it should be a lot higher than 1.007. A few things I can think. It sounds like you added salt to water, and not water to salt so it wouldn't be that.

-testing error. Clean all your droppers and refractometer with RODI, flush with water to be tested, dry them off and test again.
-Did you dump the whole pile of salt at once or shake it in slowly? Any chance it's all in the bottom in a lump?
I cleaned my refractometer and made sure it was calibrated to 0 with ro water, when I got the low reading I check my refractometer with my tank water and that read at1.025 so that is working.
I slowly added the salt to the mixing container over a couple of minutes to make sure it was distributed evenly. I have a pump running at the bottom and when I added it it was all free and nothing stuck together.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I agree that salt can take more than an hour to fully mix, if he’s using the proper amount of salt with a heater and a pump, it should be reading way higher than that by now. I suspect either your refractometer or whatever scale you’re using to weigh the salt is incorrect. Any chance your scale is set to lbs?
My scales read in grams and kilos. I check the calibration of my refractometer after getting the reading and it read 0 with ro water and 1.025 when I tested my tank water so my refractometer is working correctly

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're confident in all your weights and tests it could be a bad batch of salt. Maybe try mixing another half bucket (12-13L) with 500g and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back