OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Folks, the reef is doing great and is in middle of making light swap (Mix of LED and halide) to brand new ATI powermodule (60 inch 8*80 T5 and 4 clusters of 75 watt LED and halide(2 400 watt radium). I am slowly changing the tank from SPS and Zoas to SPS and Goniopora. I have 14 different kinds of goniopora, all now grown into mature colonies. More to come in couple of weeks after the light change.

Sam

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Folks, the reef is doing great and is in middle of making light swap (Mix of LED and halide) to brand new ATI powermodule (60 inch 8*80 T5 and 4 clusters of 75 watt LED and halide(2 400 watt radium). I am slowly changing the tank from SPS and Zoas to SPS and Goniopora. I have 14 different kinds of goniopora, all now grown into mature colonies. More to come in couple of weeks after the light change.

Sam
That's great news! Any new pics? :D :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see more SPS in your reef!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sam

I hope this baby is still kicking!

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This baby is very much live and kicking and since revhtree himself is asking for update, I will shake off my tardiness :). I will be uploading pictures and videos over the weekend but wanted to list all the tinkering that the aquarium went through and what stays vs what does not.

- loving the move to ATI power module from radion/AI hydra combo...it's a GO. Been over 6 months and No more tinkering here....

- had changed from BRS 3 part (I don't know why it is called 2 part)dosing to aquaforest. Found no visible difference with added hassle of mixing several things - NOGO

- and then from Aquaforest to ESV. This is a GO. I love the 4 gallon packaging from BRS. For now I am staying with ESV dosing as the only dosing for calc/alkalinity and Mag. The only hassle I had noticed initially is in mixing the alk bucket...just use a heater and leave it over night. Nothing compares to ease now than ESV. Added bonus is the presence of trace elements. Triton test is coming soon to see how it is holding up over a long period of time...

- changed several salts in between and have finally settled on Fritz RPM. Now if only Fritz can make individual bags that makes 50 gallon, I am in for life(Shawn, are you listening :))

- tried to chase traceable nitrate and low phosphate combo by dosing potassium nitrate (aka stump remover). zoas and LPS were happy but SPS colors dulled out. For now it's offline. I still want traceable nitrate in my tank but am feeding extra to the fishes and corals.
- Pohl extra dosing. After two bottles, this is also offline.
- Acro power - offline for now. This is in a maybe category.

Bottom line, I am down to basics right now and and am happier.

Goniopora and SPS are doing great. Zoa's are doing okay.

On the corals front, my mixed reef is staying mixed reef with addition of a few more SPS (loved RAP NY in NJ) and Yumas. yumas are under rated but have had a lot of success with them lately. Some of the colors and sizes of the yumas are unbelievable.

More to come over weekend.

Sam

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This baby is very much live and kicking and since revhtree himself is asking for update, I will shake off my tardiness :). I will be uploading pictures and videos over the weekend but wanted to list all the tinkering that the aquarium went through and what stays vs what does not.

- loving the move to ATI power module from radion/AI hydra combo...it's a GO. Been over 6 months and No more tinkering here....

- had changed from BRS 3 part (I don't know why it is called 2 part)dosing to aquaforest. Found no visible difference with added hassle of mixing several things - NOGO

- and then from Aquaforest to ESV. This is a GO. I love the 4 gallon packaging from BRS. For now I am staying with ESV dosing as the only dosing for calc/alkalinity and Mag. The only hassle I had noticed initially is in mixing the alk bucket...just use a heater and leave it over night. Nothing compares to ease now than ESV. Added bonus is the presence of trace elements. Triton test is coming soon to see how it is holding up over a long period of time...

- changed several salts in between and have finally settled on Fritz RPM. Now if only Fritz can make individual bags that makes 50 gallon, I am in for life(Shawn, are you listening :))

- tried to chase traceable nitrate and low phosphate combo by dosing potassium nitrate (aka stump remover). zoas and LPS were happy but SPS colors dulled out. For now it's offline. I still want traceable nitrate in my tank but am feeding extra to the fishes and corals.
- Pohl extra dosing. After two bottles, this is also offline.
- Acro power - offline for now. This is in a maybe category.

Bottom line, I am down to basics right now and and am happier.

Goniopora and SPS are doing great. Zoa's are doing okay.

On the corals front, my mixed reef is staying mixed reef with addition of a few more SPS (loved RAP NY in NJ) and Yumas. yumas are under rated but have had a lot of success with them lately. Some of the colors and sizes of the yumas are unbelievable.

More to come over weekend.

Sam

Great to hear my friend! Any new photos?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hey man, hope everything is going good!

What to see an update and whats been new in the reef if anything. How much do you feed and how often? Also what is your alk and calc?

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank has never done better (I know I will regret saying it...knocking hard on wood :))...

continuing with the following routine:
- basic dosing (ESV CA/Alk/Mag). I use up 350 ml of cal and Alk each daily.
- ATI Powermodule
- Lots of random flow
- Feeding 2-3 times with reef roids/BRS reef chilli
- water changes every week
- change half of GAC/GFO every 2 weeks.

That's it. some pics...
unknown5.JPG
Oregon Tort 2.JPG
Anecropora.JPG
Ice Dragon.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG
Millepora.JPG
Oregon tort.JPG
red_with_orange polyps.JPG
sunset.JPG
Tabling Acro.JPG
Tenuis.JPG
Tranquil Mille.JPG

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh , disgusting and very offensive. ;);) I'm very jealous , keep up the awesome work.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
insanely nice!

When you say lots of flow, what are you using? I am starting to think I have too much flow

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running the ati powermodule hybrid or just the t5s??

Impressive tank by the way.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank man, would love a new FTS! What bulbs are you running in the powermodule and do you know what PAR on average your acros are getting during that 5 hour peak?

Thanks!

Back