Sand Dweller Id

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get some visibility on this creature and figure out just what it is.
I strongly feel it came in on an Australian lps but I could definitely be wrong.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/3mm3-redsea-650-peninsula.314019/

Unknown creature pic 1.JPG
unknown creature pic 2.JPG

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% a pistol shrimp or something very very similar, it will be perfectly fine, if you don't have one, consider getting a goby to pair with it, my favorite type for it is the yellow watchman goby, there are a few other gobies that'll pair with it though.
The shrimp will buy tunnel networks in the sand and under the rocks, and if you had a goby paired with it the goby would help, keep watch.
The shrimp have been even known to create algae gardens they will feed on.
Make sure if you have any loose frags that are able to be moved, and are near where the shrimp mainly lives, you either glue/epoxy them down, or move them since the shrimp is always looking for objects to build with, rocks, shells, frags etc.
Lastly, from time to time you might hear a loud popping sound, that is just the shrimp being territorial.
Like @ZoasCorals said, you got a great free $20 shrimp.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to thank everyone so far for all the input. To me it does resemble a shrimp somewhat but on the other hand looks quite different. Also if it is some type of shrimp creature its just a baby as they are small. I have a few. I will try to capture a video. They do a LOT of home maintenance and repairs. Quite an interesting creature

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be a mantis. I cant see both pincers to confirm but it is certainly possible

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking pistol but it looks a lot like a baby mantis. I don’t think the eyes stalk out till they get older and molt several times.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have info on it? Quick google search yields very little.
The only thing I could find was a general idea of what they can eat. There are over a 1000 different types of Tabaidacea. What I found was that most will eat detritus and scavenge. Then there are a few that are predatory. It's very hard to find any information on these guys.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back