sand or no sand

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m getting a 75 gallon custom made. i really like sps tanks but everyone says less sand or no sand because it’s easier to clean. but at the same time i’m considering jawfish which need sand and i really like more "biology" in the tank. the scape will also be quite minimalist.
how can i increase the amount of "biology" in the tank with less surface in the tank?
i also have a mandarin that will be moving to the bigger tank too so i really do like more pods and stuff like that

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m getting a 75 gallon custom made. i really like sps tanks but everyone says less sand or no sand because it’s easier to clean. but at the same time i’m considering jawfish which need sand and i really like more "biology" in the tank. the scape will also be quite minimalist.
how can i increase the amount of "biology" in the tank with less surface in the tank?
i also have a mandarin that will be moving to the bigger tank too so i really do like more pods and stuff like that
Who are those you say less sand or no sand? Out them lol.... Sand works here, with zero mech filtration. Natural filtration yes. Sea Cucumber, Strawberry Conch, Brittle Star, sand sifting star in my 90 amongst others. In a 75? Ya, do the sand imo, with the crew to clean it up you've got the room for it....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump you can add live rock there for "biology" and then use sand in the tank for the jawfish (and a wrasse?) and also have nerite snails and other sand movers and you will be fine. Put the SPS up high on the rocks where the jawfish digging doesn't disturb or threaten to bury the SPS.

You might try to build a sand dam with rock to keep most of the sand on one end of the tank where the jawfish can live and have more of a bare bottom in the rest of the tank. Use the water circulation to assist with pushing the sand towards the "deep end."

Gl!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump you can add live rock there for "biology" and then use sand in the tank for the jawfish (and a wrasse?) and also have nerite snails and other sand movers and you will be fine. Put the SPS up high on the rocks where the jawfish digging doesn't disturb or threaten to bury the SPS.

You might try to build a sand dam with rock to keep most of the sand on one end of the tank where the jawfish can live and have more of a bare bottom in the rest of the tank. Use the water circulation to assist with pushing the sand towards the "deep end."

Gl!
And herein lies a neat idea..

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are those you say less sand or no sand? Out them lol.... Sand works here, with zero mech filtration. Natural filtration yes. Sea Cucumber, Strawberry Conch, Brittle Star, sand sifting star in my 90 amongst others. In a 75? Ya, do the sand imo, with the crew to clean it up you've got the room for it....
What Canuck said!!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back