Sand sifting goby and 2-3mm sand

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered ATI Fiji white sand with a grain size of 2-3mm, I didn't want to go lower because I don't like having sand flying everywhere as soon as I turn up the flow. However I'm starting to wonder if this isn't too big for sand sifting gobies since I'd like to get one later. What do you guys think? If it's too big would it help mixing with a finer sand or am I just doomed to get finer sand for the whole tank?

Thanks!

leelum9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both an engineer and a pistol shrimp goby with shrimp that both seem to not mind the 2-3mm crushed Coral base, doesn't really matter what gets in their home, they still to be able to move it right out of their way

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby and my sand is 1-2mm. The difference with a sand sifting verse pistol shrimp goby is the sand sifting puts the sand in its mouth and sifts through its gills to get food out. If the sand pieces are too big it can’t get it through its gills. I’m pretty sure I watched a video on BRS about sand types and they talked about what is the recommended size for a sand sifting goby

leelum9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, didn't have enough coffee this morning I guess, yeah the sand sifter seem to like the fine, looks like .5 mm to 1.7 is desired

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so my options are some goby that will move sand but not feed through it, like a yellow prawn goby?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my other tank I have a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp. I love watching the pair. Here is a video of them.

Both types of gobies are really fun to
Watch.

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have no problem with the sand you purchased. I have a sand sifting diamond Goby and use Tropic Eden Reef Flakes which are 3mm in size.

Great to know, did you get it young?

In my other tank I have a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp. I love watching the pair. Here is a video of them.

Both types of gobies are really fun to
Watch.

I already have a pistol in my Nuvo 40 but it didn't pair with the Yellow prawn I had (which mysteriously disappeared) so I might leave the pistol there and buy a bonded pair. Yours look amazing!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no fish that move sand in large amount and not eating the fauna in the sand. Yes there are fish that move the sand in various way to make their nest or cave but they just use what ever mean to move the sand including take a mouthful in their cave and the spitting it out outside of the cave.
For sand shifting goby you need fine sand.

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I was thinking about fishes not relying on the sand sifting to eat and able to have most of their diet from regular feedings.

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no fish that move sand in large amount and not eating the fauna in the sand. Yes there are fish that move the sand in various way to make their nest or cave but they just use what ever mean to move the sand including take a mouthful in their cave and the spitting it out outside of the cave.
For sand shifting goby you need fine sand.
This is not entirely true. Please define fine sand as it also depends on the size of the goby you are putting in. My orange diamond back is a beast and can sift thru some Carib Sea Hawaiian sand without any issues.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I was thinking about fishes not relying on the sand sifting to eat and able to have most of their diet from regular feedings.
I think you are looking for Shrimp gobies. There are a number of them. They don't shift sands for food, rather they and their pistol shrimp just move sand and rock around to build their cave. For these, you should have a bunch of small gravel and coarse sand so they can use as building material. Depends on the sice you may want to bury a small PVC segment with one open end hide in the sand. If they find these, they will use it to make their cave, and build on this segment.
Very interesting animals. I love them when I had small tanks. Now my tank is too big, too much flow, with a lot of large fish and I cannot make them comfortable.

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are looking for Shrimp gobies. There are a number of them. They don't shift sands for food, rather they and their pistol shrimp just move sand and rock around to build their cave. For these, you should have a bunch of small gravel and coarse sand so they can use as building material. Depends on the sice you may want to bury a small PVC segment with one open end hide in the sand. If they find these, they will use it to make their cave, and build on this segment.
Very interesting animals. I love them when I had small tanks. Now my tank is too big, too much flow, with a lot of large fish and I cannot make them comfortable.

Exactly what I’m looking for, I’d love a Yasha and shrimp pair.

Yes. He was under 3 inches when I first put him in.

great to know thank you

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back